shoujo has better charaters and comedy

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by oatesi, Oct 21, 2021.

1. oatesi

oatesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a younger male reader, typically i read isekai, reincarnation, cultivation and dungeon type stories over time ive run out of things to read, most of the time id search and search for something in those genres even factoring in fanfictions, but the last few months I've expanded into the slice of life or shoujo female lead stories and ive got to say every single mc has been way better entertainment, the characters just feel more real(not as much as real books tho) the comedy has made me chuckle more.

basically, this post is to maybe point some other male readers in this direction.

otaku31 likes this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    which genre are you talking about? shoujo is a demographic, meaning it is a target audience, not a genre

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  3. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    When you get used to something it becomes the norm, some people try to look into different stuff to read, but I wouldn't call shoujo characters feeling more real, some got good comedy I agree to that but more real? I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that XD

4. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Once u read more u will realize there are many overused cliches and trope filler there too. I suggest changing genre of each novel you read. So everything stays fresh

5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    shoujo isekai or shoujo on general?
    isekai still plenty of otome game theme

for slice of life... not really~

6. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    No matter how much you like your favorite food, it's best to have a variety in your diet. If you eat the same thing over and over again you'll appreciate it less and start to taste the flaws in the ingredients or the cooking process rather than enjoy the flavors you love.

Reading is no different.

oatesi likes this.
  7. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sus

I read a lot of stuff with fmc's. Unless the writing is bad, demographics don't really matter cause it can easily transcend that

8. oatesi

oatesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah i know, but its one of those words where its meaning and the general understanding are slightly different, like shounen can mean any number of things but you typically think of naruto, dbz, my hero ect.

my meaning is more to do with the fact that characters arent just cardboard cutouts or sociopathic power fantasies, the side characters usually have a little more meat to them,

9. Diagala

Diagala New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can relate with you. There is a huge difference between Isekai with male leads and Isekai with female leads, in my opinion.
    While Isekai with male leads often have a main character with an almost OP ability or something similar and focus on kind of surviving - of what i remember the most don't have clear purpose except the classic demon lord trope - in the world they got thrown, Isekai manga/manwha with a female lead often start with a goal which is to prevent their own downfall or get revenge. They have a clear direction and focus more in how the characters interact to get to the goal.

I also really like female and male leads with strong characteristics and for what i have seen so far there are much more shoujo Isekai manwha with good MCs. But to be fair, Isekai with a main lead as the MC have one plus point for them in my opinion, the don't use the "handsome good/bad guy" trope which is so exhausting. It make me feel as the reader that the looks are more important than personality. If the male lead is only in a story for the romance and not for a main plot, then there should be no romance or at least make it more interesting. feels like i go of topic.

To conclude, in my opinion shoujo isekai is great and i will probably will never get boring of it

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  10. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but I'd rather read Western books for that or watch some series. This genre is so much better to be watched imo. When I take a break from too much reading wish fulfillments, I watch some romcoms to cleanse my palate.