Request GMOs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ilikeitloud, Oct 23, 2021.

?

What do you think of GMOs

1. I don't trust GMOs

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Food is food

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. They are gonna kill us all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. GMOs are good

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Ilikeitloud

Ilikeitloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wanted to find the general view on genetically modified organisms or food.

2. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Literally most of the shit you eqt are technically genetically modified in some way. The plants you eat, the meat you consume has been bred for the past thousand years.

Nightow1 and Vanidor like this.
  3. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what kind of food or organisms, how much modifications made and how does it affect people and environment I guess, so, I don't know XD

Toralk likes this.
  4. Ilikeitloud

Reading List:
    Link
    I know but I have to do a research project on this and I needed some opinions on GMOs.

5. That One Average Fellow

That One Average Fellow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they're affordable, don't taste like vomit, no negative side effects and won't violate laws then food is food.

Nightow1 likes this.
  6. piisfun

piisfun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that while there definitely have been some questionable GMO's produced in labs over the years, most of them were stamped out before they could go anywhere.
    Selective breeding is a form of "conventional" genetic modification, and has honestly done more harm than any lab modification ever has, mostly due to focusing on one or two traits to the exclusion of all else.

7. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In bad season they are just filled with water, but food is food

8. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the solution is copying someone else's homework

use the sources this channel used.
    This channel is one hell of a gem and really informative.

Nightow1 and lygarx like this.
  9. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, I think GMOs are superior. Like that one rice that has beta carotene and could grow in sea water. I understand concerns of it collapsing an ecosystem as a invasive non native species, but we are already screwing it up and this has the potential of reversing damage if done right. Health concern wise, only as long as they don’t use genes from things many people are allergic to like nuts. If you aren’t allergic to anything, it shouldn’t be a problem. Sort of like the whole gluten-free trend. It could be better for you and the environment because it would require fewer chemicals and resources while also packed with nutrients. Lot of pros and cons, but its potential makes the pros outweigh the cons.

10. Ilikeitloud

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!

11. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've done way too many debates/essays on this topic back in high school that at this point, I'm tired of it. GMOs are great. They reinforce and rebuild the nutritional value of food. Saves a lot of people. There is no solid evidence of its potential damage but that may just be a present-day issue that may show different results in let's say 50 years.

And that's where the main problem comes in. Everything is modified, but people worry if in 50 years we will learn to regret it. They also worry about potentially dangerous combinations. Maybe adding in a different gene in corn will lead to danger not yet tested for. And they worry about modified food triggering allergies. In any case, it all boils to a debate about GMOs being extremely nutritional vs Potential Dangers. But really, idc.

Also if you're doing this for hw, do some research will ya? It's a good learning opportunity.

Nightow1 likes this.
  12. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 from me for those

Nightow1 likes this.
  13. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In return, there are lots of foods that if not for this process, would have been inedible. For example, corn. 100% natural corn can't be eaten and is closer to a pine cone that what arrives on our tables. Then there is the "recent" Canola oil, which is also a GMO since natural rapeseed is toxic. So it's kind of 50/50, like all things, there are good and bad.

And then, there is Wagu beef. :D

The problem is that there really is no "general view", you can ask different people and get widely varying answers depending on things like beliefs, upbringing, social pressure/brainwashing etc. The way people process information and choose what they believe in varies widely from individual to individual.

Personally though, molecular biology was my major and because of that and knowledge of the processes involved, my personal opinion is that the fears are much ado about nothing, rather than spinning the roulette wheel and hoping for a good result, GM at least lets you direct the process. Natural randomness actually has a much higher chance to produce a toxic product that one that you oversee from the start. You're more likely to get a toxic GM product if you very specifically intend to make one rather than by accident.

GMO fears mostly stem from one source. The cynicism towards humankind. There is this prevalent belief that anything humans try to do is bound for failure and this bleeds into the GMO debate as this group of people assumes that since GMO = done by humans, it's bound to fail in a big and toxic way. While I get the skepticism, that often stems from politics and beliefs rather than actual results. Unfortunately, beliefs and faith are not known to be rational and hence the protests continue.

14. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well GM crops are needed, period.

The natural seeds output cannot meet the demand of current times.

So it's already a part of the cycle, don't even think about giving alternatives.... organic and stuff like that are nice to hear but fail to meet the immense demand.

Now coming to the GMO

Human dna modification is currently cutting edge, and under a lot of ethical scrutiny.

It's like talking about atomic bombs at the eve of its actual inception.... People are talking about it, but it's still not global so both sides are like " wait and see".

Personally I feel as long as the the genetic modification is strictly controlled, and our high school biology syllabus are revised to teach the young the possible repercussions of GM then it will actually propel us towards another growth phase.

We could become a pan- universe species not just limited to earthen parameters, we could have a whole new chart of taxonomic classification for humans XD... Imagine we are our biosphere, with maybe even a few with predator and prey relations....

Cough ...went off course but yeah it would be awesome.

15. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well of course Zeus would be up for more variety in targets after thousands of years. /s

16. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as they don't breed T-Rex Chicken, or Pineapple that taste like Pineaple Pizza then I don't care as long as it's edible and tasty.

17. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I can't deny that.... I am a bit interested in humanoid species, if they are attractive and don't have shredders for inserts then I'm all in :blobpeek::cookie:

18. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The main problem with Genetic Modification is a immune-deficient population, meaning GMOs are vulnerable to pests and diseases. Genetically modified plants REQUIRE pesticides, Genetically Modified chickens, cows, and pigs REQUIRE antibiotics.

Mass usage of pesticides in industrial farming has led to land degradation and oceanic Dead Zones.

Mass usage of antibiotics in industrial animal farming has led to antibiotic resistant superbugs.

So maybe Monsanto & Bayer are like the Pied piper leading us to our deaths.

19. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    er.... news to me. When has Roundup Ready crops ever needed MORE herbicides and pesticides? The physics says the opposite since they naturally produce pesticides and herbicides themselves. BT modified crops are lethal to pests. Somebody sold you a bill of fake goods.

Don't believe me? Go look up things like BT cotton and see what happens when pests eat them.

Your info was massively faked up.

20. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The term "Roundup Ready" means they are Genetically Modified to survive a pesticide called Roundup (Glyphosate). This pesticide is so poisonous, it is banned in several countries due to health & environmental concerns. Roundup is theorized to cause Dead Zones, no need for other pesticides.

Maybe you have forgotten about "Evolution": a species that does not evolve to adapt to it's environment will perish.
    Pest have long since evolved to digest BT toxin.

...right back at you !