Request Looking for online glossary of gaming terms

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Eishun, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am looking for an online glossary/dictionary of gaming terms used in MMORPG games.

Preferably one that has both Chinese and English terms in it.

If you know of any comprehensive ones, please share the links here. I've been searching for an hour or so but haven't found one that explains the difference between "skins" and "costumes." So what do you call the pretty clothes and armor your avatar wears in-game? Is that his "skin" or "costume"?

2. Damsell in Distress

Damsell in Distress Waiting for dashing MC to save me from myself

Reading List:
    Link
    In my humble opinion, skin and costume are the same thing, it depends on the dev/community what it's called in that game..

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  3. Aop

Aop [Great Destroyer of Filth] [Dao of Cleanliness]

Reading List:
    Link
    Um well? I play a fair bit of gacha mobage over the years. and skin and costume generally refer to the same thing. A purely cosmetic change in how a character looks. There are exceptions, but that's how it usually is.

4. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure all MMORPG has different jargon and abbreviation specific to that game. The more generic stuff like AFK, Skins, PT, etc is already pretty much used anywhere that you don't actually need to study it.

Just lurk in the forum of the game you play long enough and you will be an expert in no time.

Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  5. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's something you equip as a normal part of the game, items with stats and such, it's usually neither. It would just be called clothes or armor. Skin/costume (maybe "outfit" too) generally refers to something separate from equipment, purely cosmetic things, possibly overriding whatever armor you're wearing. Not always, though.

But like everyone else said, there's no real standard, different games use terms differently.

6. Rilise

Rilise Aestivating

Reading List:
    Link
    If u really want to squint for difference then:
    1. Costume only affect the appearance of the character's armor. Sometimes also sold separately. Damn Elsword
    2. Skin is a whole char makeover in 1 set.

7. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

But are there any comprehensive online dictionaries out there? I am currently taking an entry test for a game translation gig, so I am going to need a good dictionary.

8. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of trying to fake your way through, just look at actual games.

9. MarSprite

MarSprite <Impossible to Gauge>

Reading List:
    Link
    In pre Moba times, skin referred to the texture applied to the model. Something with a new skin, sometimes called a reskin, would have different coloration, and perhaps different art on its surface.
    Mobas decided to call their outfits as skins, probably because the earliest ones were, the slang caught on and spread everywhere and nowadays skin just means the appearance of the character. It's probably still distinct in that it doesn't mean changing your clothing, but the whole look of the character.

Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  10. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Costume is what your character wear like clothes, no change in appearance just the clothes, some games even offer specific costumes events, you know those game armor related memes?
    [​IMG]
    Those are costumes even if alot refer to them as skins, but the correct term is costume, since you are just changing what your character wears as clothes or armor
    Skins on the other hand is the more common used term and is more general as it doesn't only can refer to the change to the clothes but also the appearance of the character, like the texture, the graphics, the colors, etc... (the changes can affect the character partially or completely depending on the skin, so you can say, costume is part of the skin)
    Imagine if your character is a giant blue golem for example, you download or apply or use a new skin for it, that makes it green, shorter and looks like a midget goblin in a black suit XD
    Anyway, here is a glossary I found, just in english tho

Eishun likes this.
  11. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for your help, Mr Popo! :)

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  12. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like that glossary is very incomplete and a lot of it is simply wrong.

13. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    best was to learn the terms is to play the game ...

main char should be pretty clear but what are your non main chars called ?
    in some games they are
    -twinks
    -toons
    -mule
    etc
    use td might be towerdefense in World of tanks it would be tankdestroyer

i got the feeling that faster the game the shorter the messages
    or voicechat is used that might bring its own terms again (where even the "cool kids" might have differnt terms than the older gamers)

Vanidor likes this.