What do you recommend for anti-virus software?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by SerialBeggar, Aug 17, 2021.

1. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Get Ublock Origin too, its a great content blocker in addition to ad blocker. Its free and open source. Turn on advanced user mode. Why try to get rid of virus on your computer when you can block it from getting on computer in first place.

Turn on the filters and it warns you about sketchy sites. Also, something great to do is to block everything like 3rd party scripts and whitelist domains instead of letting everything through and trying to play whack a mole blacklisting advertisements and 3rd party connections.

Also look at these two sites, try to tweak settings until you arent leaking your entire family history (exaggeration)

https://webkay.robinlinus.com/
    https://aruljohn.com/details.php

I dont think you need noscript there were some shady things developer did.
    ublock origin works just fine and is open source.

And beyond that, dont download files from shady sites, if u absolutely have to, make sure you have blocked off all javascript, cookies, and extra domains from that site. And run virus scan on files u downloaded before opening them too.

Internet commons sense is often the best antivirus. There are people who ride bicycle more recklessly because they wear a helmet because they feel safer and gdt into accident, browse safely even with antivirus.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    xiazixin, IRandomGuy and Sabruness like this.
  2. gangbuntu

gangbuntu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    install a vm/docker -- only access funny sites do funny stuffs in the vm?
    or is it not an option because u want to keep the waifu harem intact?

xiazixin likes this.
  3. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You probably don't understand why people need anti-virus software it's to browse sites like nyaa.si and anidex.moe or maybe even subplease.org. Even though subplease are listed as trusted.

You have to magnet the link and p2p with other peers.
    When you have a p2p connection you have a open port connect to another people with handshakes though whatever protocol you torrent client provides, which opens for voluntarily.
    And not all torrent from those sites are to be trusted some torrent may contains malicious codes.

I doubt many people knows how to port forwarding from a VM environment to the router for p2p torrent. If they do, they they are at a level they would need to ask for a recommendation for anti-virus.

And the cost of getting windows 10 pro for hyper-v is already over the cost of many anti-virus software.
    VM is not free, at least for windows.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  4. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Torrenting is definitely a lot riskier. I don't think just an antivirus will help in that scenario. Also, at that point, shouldn't you be more worried about hiding your tracks and preventing dmca from internet provider?

5. Contics

Contics New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just use a VPN :blobokhand:

6. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Use windows defender. Thats it. Also, dont install weird shit.

EZ

Sabruness likes this.
  7. hungry_cultivator

hungry_cultivator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've used many antiviruses in the last few years, from Panda to Avira, Avast... Nowadays, I just use WinDefender, really. Windows' security assets are constantly being updated, and I haven't had any reason so far to install anything else so far

I think VirtualBox is free, and you can use it with a regular version
    The bigger issues would be hardware-related. Older computers' CPUs may not be prepared for virtualization or the machines may simply not have enough capacity to maintain good performance. As long as you're an average user, even if guided by some tutorial, you probably won't have any problem accessing BIOS and activating virtualization, if needed

8. Contics2

Contics2 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    something something windows defender
    something something switch to linux