Discussion Did you also want to learn Chinese, Japanese, and Korean language coz of reading their novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by RustyFerro, Oct 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm... well, I knew how to speak/read Japanese a bit already because of family. However, cuz I was raised in the U.S., my parents decided it would be better for me and my sister to learn English as our primary language rather than Japanese. But I'd still caught bits and pieces of how to talk/read Japanese. After finding out about Japanese web novels, I realized that I could read simple bits, but not hard bits. Cuz of that, I took some Duolingo time and tried to understand more Japanese. I eventually did succeed, since I'd basically learned the fundamentals already. However, I still prefer English and a primary language. It's much easier.

I did try to learn Korean but lost interest halfway through. So, I can understand around 2/5 of a sentence that's written... but can't understand a heck of spoken Korean unless I focus on each word carefully.

2. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    Omgggg, we're sameeee but my Chinese suck so bad that I've only read the translated ones so far lol. And yeah! I've also picked up novels to translate so i could improve my Chinese too . But, dang it's hard!!!

Lissi likes this.
  3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_patpat::blob_patpat::blob_patpat: It is really hard, it's such a complex language!!! :blobbunny:

Alexcia likes this.
  4. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    Complex alone can't describe it:blob_teary::blob_teary:

Lissi likes this.
  5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nah~
    this cat interest on china language come from songs and movies (this cat thought it mandarin but hongkong movie use cantonese..... oh well) waaaaaaaaay before wn translation~ this cat also have interest toward china history and bunch of other stuff
    it because of two songs to be specific

that the ver this cat hear as child back then
    the other one is the legend of white snake ending song 1993 ver?

similarly japan but it not for songs nor movies~ videogame~

6. qyura

qyura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I'd love to learn all of these languages, especially Chinese, and read directly!
    I already know a bit of Korean, it's actually the easiest one among the other two. You can literally learn how to read in one setting! I'm still far from reading a novel in Korean, but I can manage reading raw manhwas and getting almost 70% lol, I'm getting better though! Korean is very easy and interesting to learn. I hope to learn Chinese and Japanese one day.

7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't say that reading novels was the main reason I learned Chinese but it was an important factor, and they were one of the most important tools I used to learn with. This happened long before the explosion of webnovels and it wasn't as difficult as I expected it to be. However it's also an ongoing process and I don't think that I'll ever stop learning. It's also been a huge godsend since I've learned to love Chinese webnovels and these tend to be in genres that don't get translated.

8. purple_mangosteen

purple_mangosteen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Back then I wanted to learn Japanese because I like manga/anime. Never manage it though.
    But because I watch many anime, I managed to understand simple japanese. Enough for simple conversation ie buying tickets, ordering meal etc when I traveled to japan
    The sad thing is, I'm overseas Chinese so I don't understand mandarin at all. When I went to china for holiday, I understand nothing. Had to let my cousin and uncle spoke for me. If I knew chinese language I don't need to depend on google translate

9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  10. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dao of Language reading is hard. I tried so many times but just can't go forward. Thus, I chose the demonic Dao of MTL. May God forgive me.

11. wenhui89

wenhui89 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I wanted to learn Japanese and Chinese so I don't need the subtitles. I am a native Cantonese speaker but can't read Chinese and unfortunately Donghuas are 99% in Mandarin now and its hard to pick up the language for me.

12. Vermouth

Vermouth Older but none the wiser.

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to learn Korean to read those korean otome isekai manhwas :notlikeblob:

But I'm not overtly determined to do so, especially since there are so many up-to-speed manhwas and such a vast quantity too. I haven't even read half of all the translated ones yet.

13. clisenby

clisenby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is said that Korean has similar grammar to Japanese.

14. astralmech

astralmech [ ✨ ~ snooze ] [ kr translator ] [ jpn native ]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fluent in both EN and JP, but JP novels are really meh for me, so I started working on my KR comprehension because those novels resonate with me more and there were a ton of novels I wanted to read that had no translator. That made me start learning KR and even translate myself just to get better. Knowing JP is helpful since a lot of the grammatical rules are similar, but it's just different enough that it keeps me on my toes.

15. Valctovoel

Valctovoel Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Untranslated novels of my favorite series made me consider learning Japanese, but then I tried and realized it’s way too hard for my small brain to handle. However I do want to learn a new language one day so I might pick it up again… one day… hopefully…

16. ShasuX

ShasuX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many years back, I learned English to play MMOs, Shooters and other stuff, then I got in contact with anime/manga. Which led me to learning Japanese since my reading thirst didn't keep up with what was being translated back then (5+ years ago). Nowadays I've learned Japanese to an extent allowing me to read JP novels as you can see at infinitenoveltranslations.net, but now I'm back to learning English to improve the quality of my translations. So, I guess I made a full circle? xD

17. lytieulo

lytieulo New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, but I want to learn Chinese cause I really want to broaden my horizons

18. Selha

Selha Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can read/write some Japanese, but I struggle a lot with kanji. After having giving up on reading the raws for novels I enjoyed over and over, I've decided recently to just bite the bullet and force my way through with a dictionary. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to read the raws without any problems.

19. Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read several articles about the basics of Korean grammar and that was the end of my Korean language learning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.