Discussion Should readers only be able to rate a novel if they also submit a review?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by puukkiss, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally I dont rate stuff I don't read Yuri or yaoi stuff for example I dont read as I dont like it but thats just my choice as such though I dont rate it since again I'm not reading. What I do rate and always low is anything fan fiction which a lot of are Chinese. I dont mind honestly if someone comes up with a story and the mc is self insert but if you do it to an established series like marvel dbz one piece Harry Potter and so on just no. Because I do skim some but they are all self insert power trips.

2. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah.
    If I dropped a novel and rate low stars, I don’t wanna have to publicly share why every time and then get subjected to be judged by others, because some people take reviews personally and want to argue if opinions aren’t the same.

sweed and Arkantos like this.
  3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this idea; it'd be really nice to help prevent those trolls and haters who didn't even read the novel from rating, and while it would be more work that just rating with stars, it's not required to rate anyways.

I do think that using a most popular key words to vote on (kinda like what Amazon has) would be more useful than having everyone write a bunch of reviews that may have lots of areas of overlap, though.

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like this idea because it doesn't solve any problems. If a review has any value in informing potential readers, that value is contained in the review itself. The numbers that get assigned by both reviewers and non-reviewers are equally unhelpful. The other thing that happens is that this might make more people think that ratings mean something; and it's better to avoid this whenever possible.

A 5 usually just means that the reader liked the book and put no critical thought into what qualities it has. 1s tend to be equally useless. 2s, 3s, and 4s are much more reliable indicators of quality since the raters theoretically put some effort into it. At the end of the day I don't see why anyone should pay any attention to ratings.

Vilidious likes this.
  5. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been on a site before where all ratings had to be accompanied by a minimum length review. I tried rating a few things but not all the ones I've completed. Because of the minimum length, I can't just leave a "I liked it, it's good." I need to leave a detailed review. And like what's already been said, I don't want to copy what someone else has already said.

All that said, I don't rate often anyway. I usually only rate things I've completed reading. That means most things I'm in the middle of reading or dropped don't get ratings. I also never rate novels if I've read less than 100 chapters (unless the novel itself is less than 100 chapters).

applebeans likes this.
  6. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to raise a different issue.
    Reviews that have NO ratings.

That's just being a ranting pansy.

[​IMG]