Other Request Popular BL novels that you didn't like

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by BanniNotBunny, Nov 3, 2021.

1. BanniNotBunny

BanniNotBunny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Raizel_Pendragon

Raizel_Pendragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooh I've got some~
    Quickly wear the Face Of the Devil
    Who Touched My Tail!
    Thrive in Catastrophe
    Class Teacher System
    The Villains All Fell in Love with Me After Rebirth
    This Omega is Immune to All Abilities
    Pulling Together a Villain Reformation Strategy
    Transmigrated Into a Big Boss to Snatch Away the Cannon Fodder

Also
    The Legendary Master’s Wife &
    The Perfect Destiny

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  4. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quickly wear the Face Of the Devil
    Legendary Masters Wife
    Scum Villain

Honestly I don’t like a lot of popular BL novels due to their non con nature or if the power dynamic is too unbalanced, especially ones where the ml treats the mc shou like a pet. Or if the shou is leading the ml along too much.i also really don’t like yanderes.

The comment sections in those types of BL get reeeeeaaallly weird too.

DrunkReader01 and BanniNotBunny like this.
  5. BanniNotBunny

Reading List:
    Link
    I avoid the ones where I get toxic/unhealthy relationship vibes. Or the shou is naive to the point of stupid. And yeah yanderes too.

And the novels where there is no communication between the couple.

You are totally describing LMW's couple in these lines:blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:.

applebeans likes this.
  6. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Holding Onto My Man- lots of people seem to love it, and I have no idea why. As far as QT goes, it's really generic and bland, and the revenge and ending to the arcs aren't even satisfying. They're mostly just glossed over and skipped. In addition, the writing style felt boring too. Just overall didn't like it, even though I read the whole thing just to torture myself lol :blobsalt:

Though it might just be unsuited for my tastes, since again, many others seem to enjoy it. /shrug

reireina91 and BanniNotBunny like this.
  7. applebeans

applebeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QWFOD, the legendary master’s wife

I like most popular stuff, but QWFOD is too......… bland? For me. And I like some personality/morality in my protags

I thought it was The Sh!t when I see people praising it everywhere, but when I see it popping up in various novel’s recommendation, I thought that this novel has serious focus issue if it really is similar to every one of these novels. Then I read it and it seriously lacks pull unlike some of the newer QTs, it barely wins in arc world settings. But other QTs have both interesting arcs, funny system and MC-ML with interesting dynamic and lovable personality. So I dropped QWFOD.

LMW is somewhat similar, being op is not substitute for personality. The love is not convincing, doesn’t feel like they love each other but like author decided they should be together therefore they are.

There’s this one that everyone seems to rate 5
    But idk why because it’s so mediocre for me? President our egg is lost

Like… it is cute. If you turn off your brain and skim through it with an active imagination

No one in the novel tries to make sense though. It’s like the most low budget idol drama that was not scripted beforehand. MC and ML are both puppets, just created to shoot scenes. Their families are largely absent, only there to be plot devices. Same with the other supporting roles, when author wants them to do things, they do it, and with a lazily made up reason.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    BanniNotBunny likes this.
  8. mYboiS

mYboiS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Quickly wear the Face Of the Devil" I tried reading it 3x already due to it's popularity but I can never continued it lol! I hate world hopping and I don't really like bl novels where the ML and MC fall in love fast!!
    "Little Mushroom" Um...I feel like I am the only one that doesn't like Little Mushroom. Everyone's review on that novel is a 5/5 star and mines the only review with 3/5. The story is interesting but I feel MC and ML in there have no good interactions at all. I don't see why ML falls for MC.

9. BanniNotBunny

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked the novel LMW overall.
    But if we talk about the relationship between the main couple I totally agree with you. There was no love. The ML was jerk to the MC. (And the MC didn't mind) His attitude got slightly better in last chapters after the time skip.
    When I tried to find any review which pointed out this thing I could only find one which agreed with this.
    But now I can see that there are many readers who think the same.

applebeans likes this.
  10. msbwhy

msbwhy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - Sha Po Lang, interesting politics but not really enjoyable for me (my puny brain cant handle it)
    - Heroic Death System, i think i've put a review about this. the chemistry between mc & ml is so bland & sudden that I can't handle it lmao
    - I Really Am Slag Shou!, boring & it's too long idk

applebeans likes this.
  11. applebeans

applebeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t always leave review if I dislike a novel. If I didn’t finish reading the novel, or feel that I might be too biased when reading it the first time, I’m afraid my review will not be as true as I want it to be. I don’t want to keep going back to edit past reviews, when I review it’s my final impression. :blob_pompom:

Some novels, I think there’s still merit to them, like LMW as you said, is still fun adventure with lovable supporting cast. Actually MC’s quite capable and I like that he has his own thing. I didn’t finish reading the whole thing, and I have mixed feelings for it, so I didn’t review it.

Also it’s crazy how different the trend with MLs are from 2009-2015 to 2016-2021.

I’m coming to terms with the fact that reviews are subjective ~ , ~

As all art are subjective.

I hate stup!d MCs, but some people love them. Some people also love brainless plot because it’s fluffy and easy read? They rate those novels 5 and that’s true to their feelings. :blobcozy:

They might also find the brain twister plots I love complicated and unreasonable, and rate my fave novels 1 :blob_plusone:

That’s why the forum and recommendation thread exists :blobxd:

BanniNotBunny and Shaorou like this.
  12. Shaorou

Shaorou Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't remember titles off the top of my head, as I drop novels more often than I finish them nowadays, as opposed to my younger years. :sushi_tea:
    There's various tropes with varying levels of tolerance, some will have me dropping a novel quite easily.

• Misunderstandings between ML and MC that can be cleared up with a conversation yet lasts for chapters. It's even worse when one misunderstanding is solved and another one quickly begins.
    • If an empire/monarchy exists in the novel, they're often not done well. I quite dislike poorly written class/wealth disparities. I read an orc(humans that can morph into animals) novel twoish years ago wherein the "females" we're treated as second-class citizens. The MC became Queen of the Empire, as a transmigrator, and then did nothing to address that disparity because he had gotten "used to it." I'm still mad about that one. On the flip-side, I love with when the MC does address and attempt to fix any equality issues.
    • Most novels that take place in the entertainment industry. The novels are too similar to one another after you've read a few.
    • When the top has male chauvinistic qualities; like expecting the MC to cook/clean etc cause they're on the bottom. This one is more rare though.
    • I don't really like canary MCs. Nothing against it but it just makes for a boring novel when the MC is just a pretty face.
    As for the addressed points regarding QWTFOTD and LMW, I think those are fine as 'starter' novels. QW is quite bland after you've read other QT novels, but it's still serviceable. I'm just happy people are reading, even if our views on a novel don't coincide. :sushi_thankyou:

BanniNotBunny and applebeans like this.
  13. BanniNotBunny

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg I also has same issues.
    This communication thing.
    I really prefer the novels where the couple knows the importance of communication.
    I least like the novels which are based upon piled up misunderstandings. The whole plot of the novel revolves around that. If only they could talk it out.
    And the entertainment industry novels, all of them have same pattern and 50% of the content is comments of netizens.
    Yes, many MLs expects that only the 'wife' has to do these things.

applebeans likes this.
  14. tabushechka

tabushechka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Erha - all kind of really bad emotions concerning the plot, characters, setting, basic intrigue, yuk,,, oh, i could have lived so well if someone had stopped me at the beginning/ that's true /