Discussion What Makes a Good Novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 314196, Nov 5, 2021.

?

Tittle Says It All~

1. Steady Pacing

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Overpowering Badass Mc

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Unique Characters

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  4. Dense Characters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Comedic Setting

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. Lovey-Dovey Fluff Haven

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. All of the Above

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a lot of novels on NU, some are good and some are bad, most of which we can't agree upon. So what makes a novel good in your own opinion?

Mr. Tired and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    Tragedies, male/female lead death, depression, hopelessness.

I like bittersweet ending. I like that the MC picked up herself/himself after losing hope, losing something precious to them. I particularly like someone who is in progress to move on, processing everything that happened.

3. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot doesn't matter if you write good characters and character interactions. Not saying you can't have both but how characters are written are more important. You don't need melodramatic bullshit to catch people's interest if you have great characters in the story.

4. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s so many for a novel to become good, like characters/setting/plot/etc…
    Really, it’s just got to have a strong point or two, and not really have glaring weakpoints. (Though this is easier said than done)

Deleted member 314196 likes this.
  5. Deleted member 314196

Reading List:
    Link
    Those are nice~
    Oh, so could you read an entire novel of just surperb characters talking?

6. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    Though considering my personal taste. I prefer unique characters, and character interactions that feel realistic.

7. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Your right. We all like what we like, but I have jump genre because a friend suggested it. I have to admit. I am thankful for the experience. My go to is more sci fi/ fantasy, but I’ve dabbled in others like romance or thrillers. Before Jack Reacher became a movie. I was recommended to read “Killing Floor”. Good book. Before Jurassic Park movie. I was recommended to read it. It’s way better than the movie.
    What makes a good novel. Let’s name the stars in the skies. Their are so many reason a novel is good. Than again you probably find more bad reasons than good in any novel. Lol.
    For the examples I mentioned. I guess it’s because they surprised me with their depth of the event. It’s not too precise, but enough info for a normal person to understand. I guess what makes a novel good. Is the momentum. Stories like most stories. Start off slow and buildup. Many authors can sort of do this. Some can’t. But the real storytellers. Your always on edge wanting more. Just to gage a novel. Did they do a good cliffhanger? Now that’s the benchmark. You should be measuring your novels by. Just a suggestion

8. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    Without thinking about people's/my own tastes in novels: what generally makes a novel good would definitely be the pacing of a story with the plot being explained and planned accordingly, well-written characters with depth, and also the relatability in some characters and/or themes.

I believe people like having a character or scenario they can understand & relate to on a certain level, and it makes the story more *can't think of the word* tsk...
    But anyway, it makes it more likable in the long run.
    I have a better word and explanation for what I'm trying to say but can't think of it, maybe someone else will have the same idea and would explain it better. :blob_catflip:

9. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I'm saying is that the plot can be generic as hell for all I care if the characters are great.

10. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Good plot, heartwrenching angst, fabulous schemes/plots, smile-worthy cuteness, or satisfying endings

11. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    A good novel is one that can provoke thought from me for an extended period of time. This can be either due to an interesting situation being brought up, some fun information, or perhaps it's just immersive enough for me to forget myself entirely and think I'm the characters in the story.

12. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    unique characters that can keep one engaged in the story.

world building can also help to add depth and makes me think more about the novel in general.

13. Bad Company

Bad Company Crossing the highways of fantasy

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably looking for engaging, captivating, or engrossing

A good novel for me is one you can read and enjoy more the second time you read it.
    [​IMG]

14. Eccentricstate

Eccentricstate ❀ Face-Slapping Champion ❀

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it’s a combination of interesting, complex characters, fun/intriguing plot, and steady pacing. Generally, if one is missing, it can still be a good book. But two? Forget about it.

An intriguing plot can be ruined by one dimensional characters and inconsistent pacing.
    Great characters can be ruined by an awful/nonsensical plot.

It’s the balance of these three things that create good novels.

15. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    My top three are:
    Comedy (Make me smile)
    Pathos (Make me cry)
    Solid plot (Don't break my immersion)

These three done well makes a mediocre story good; Done very well makes it excellent.
    The characters could be the trope-iest cutouts ever, the setting could be practically non-existent, but make me cry, laugh, and have a solid problem-build up-conclusion and you probably have me hooked.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  16. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, all that matters is that it makes for an interesting or enjoyable read. I don't have any strict requirements for that, but in general it's better for characters, plot, and world to be predictable enough that it has rules and doesn't break them, but not so predictable that there's no excitement in reading. The pacing can't be so slow that it's a chore to read, but it can't be so fast the gratification wears out and it breaks the immersion.

It also should have satisfying (or funny) moments, whether it's the protagonist experiencing success, the villain getting their karma, the couple becoming official, or seeing it all come together. It should also have a proper ending that gives a sense of closure. And a certain degree of realism and novelty in characters, as well as worldbuilding, really helps make the story more interesting and immersive.

Most people can agree with all these requirements, but I personally can read very slow-paced novels so long as the worldbuilding and characters (or even just the worldbuilding!) is/are done well. Of course, I also read a lot of fast-paced novels with cliched gratification tropes, but I'm a bit more lenient on pace for novels with worldbuilding. It also depends a lot on my mood, I guess. I go through phases where I like certain types of novels.

17. mirukii

mirukii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    imo it doesnt matter if the premise is generic or whatnot because as long as the author manages to skillfully execute the intended plot and be consistent on its quality throughout its run, i'll probably be satisfied enough

Resplendor likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Good characters mostly~

As long as I like the characters, I can usually like the novel for as long as I don't hate its base premise~

19. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    Being written by me

20. Deleted member 314196

Reading List:
    Link
    -_-