Discussion What Makes a Good Novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 314196, Nov 5, 2021.

?

Tittle Says It All~

1. Steady Pacing

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Overpowering Badass Mc

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Unique Characters

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  4. Dense Characters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Comedic Setting

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. Lovey-Dovey Fluff Haven

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. All of the Above

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Simplistic grammar, something different, adventurous story, shorter political intrigues, twists (a lot of them), where author backtracks from ending instead of going with the flow, battles with wit, real struggles not body pain moans, and real power ups not something which develops allergies later on.

So in simple something that is heavily invested in, like actual book novels, with professionalism.

Deleted member 314196 likes this.
  2. deadlyexistence23

deadlyexistence23 ❝ And maybe, for a while that was true ❞

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, it's Characters with depth, Steady plot with unique ideas, and an intriguing world building for me.

Even if it's an overall cliche story, if the characters in it have depth with realistic/understandable backgrounds, then it can be good, even if the plot is really not that great, as long as it have an interesting idea along with it, it's good to go. Clichés are certainly great if delivered right. Now imagine the opposite, a very and unique complicated plot! ...but shitty characters... Well you see! we see the world of the story through the characters! but if the characters is a total bullshit, how are we supposed to be invested in it?
    Of course, good character development is a must, if the characters are shitty in the first chapter, but then throughout the story, you can see that they are constantly growing, it's really something else~, when you look back at the early chapter and the latest, having that good character development can make you feel like a proud parent lol XD
    Then comes the intriguing world building, I really like world building, because it sets up the standard of the world, i like world buildings with intriguing themes that's connected to the story~, those world building that makes me wonder what kind of stuff the world might have~

I also like thought provoking stories, emotional ones, you know the stuff that can make you feel something? Yes I really love those cause it makes me doubt my belief to some things~ well that sums it all I guess? :blobmelt:

3. mirukii

mirukii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

4. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What keeps me guessing, makes me interested to know what happens next and is original. Genre's wise - also has plenty of comedy! Some harem.. and a pinch of adorable sort of shamelessness!

5. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    A good novel for me is a novel that will keep me interested and looking forward to what happens next XD

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2021
  6. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, it isn't that bad!

7. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    -_- #2

8. fdsgadfgdfgsdg

fdsgadfgdfgsdg Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I like novels with either a chaotic neutral MC or a neutral evil MC. The world building has to be consistent and expansive. Same with the power system. If there is romance it should be kept in the background

9. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, a well-written novel is one where you can truly feel the emotions within it, whether it’s the characters’ emotions, the emotional impact of the plot turns, or the emotions within the described settings.

Obviously I still enjoy novels with comedic tones, unique characters, interesting plots, etc., but I find that my top favourites and the ones that really leave an unforgettable impression on me are the ones with strong emotions.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  10. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    According to this; I've never read any good novels...

11. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty subjective. I prefer a simple and interesting intro to hook me into reading it. Great characters with well written and witty dialogues like in Easy A. Then it would tackle some serious issues but in a lighthearted way, I read mostly to be entertained so I don't like to feel too down when I read or watch something. I'm well aware on how hard making a great ending with some twist so I won't expect something like that, all I hope is for the author not to rush it and make sure to tighten all the loose ends.

12. astralmech

astralmech [ ✨ ~ snooze ] [ kr translator ] [ jpn native ]

Reading List:
    Link
    I love characters who experience the worst humanity has to offer, yet manage to maintain a kind heart and resilient spirit in spite of it all. I know lots of people like badass, OP, and conniving MCs these days, but to me personally, that doesn't really hit the spot. I find a lot of value in people staying good and kindhearted, despite how undeserving the world has proven themselves to be of them. It's so hard not letting the bitterness of the world change your heart, so it just goes to show how strong characters like this are, emotionally. That's not to say they can't carry resentment for the people who hurt them, but they don't let that resentment define them or change their belief in goodness. I eat that kind of stuff up because it's the mindset I strive to have in reality. Have love in your heart, and don't let anyone take that away from you, you know?

But speaking in more general terms, I love romantic novels. I don't even mean that in the traditional sense. I just mean that I love novels that can show me the romance in the little things--- novels that romanticize the idea of close friends, of taking walks, and living kind and gentle lives.

Yeah, I'm a boring sap apparently LOL