Discussion What’s with Guys Especially Japanese MCs with Always Girls Instead of The Guys?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by clisenby, Nov 3, 2021.

1. clisenby

clisenby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t understand stand why there isn’t novels with just bros or maybe a girl just for representation? You will only come across this in sports novels or you will see a close male relationship as fujoshi bait. There was a time when guys would go on adventures together in fiction. I hope that I’m not alone whom feels this way xd

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    clisenby likes this.
  3. clisenby

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks I will look into it!

4. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the reader is more of guy than girl. Tell me, which one will you choose to see in action? Guy or girl? Also the Voice Actor also is easy to had girl that a guy for the cost and time. The Anime and Manga artist also can fill the panel with beautiful face than macho. The merchandise will easy to sell with a girl figure than man especially the cost when the man need a weapon or complicated clothes but a girl with just few clothes like bikini is easy to make and cheap

5. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    The author is potentially projecting their insecurities or using the readers' own desires to make a wish-fulfillment "relatable" character that is deemed attractive by almost every person of the opposite sex.

Also fanservice for more clickbait and views.

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    easier to introduce romance subplot, fan service stuff like that~
    then.... its mainstream...... go try against the mainstream~

here the question~ what on your mind when guys go together?
    beat each other....
    hehehe~

7. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whats the "~" do?

Is it a novelupdates formatting character? I know about URL= but i dont know how to use ~

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nyothing~
    ignore it~

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's primarily because you're reading books intended for Japanese otaku. This demographic loves cute girls so you're going to see them everywhere. If you're looking for sausage fests then just check out material meant for other demographics. Note that this means staying away from Syosetu because that site is all otaku all the time.

Sabruness likes this.
  10. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    There are plenty of novels with bros, even harem novels, even on Syosetsu. Even on R-18 novels, come to think of it. Just friends that the main character hangs out with from time to time.

It's just that, hm... they distract from the whole "I'm the best" mediocre/bad novel shtick that is very common. It's much simpler to replace the friend characters with harem members because cute girls can be incompetent without people wondering why the author keeps them around, but when male characters are always incompetent or need to be saved at the last minute people get more upset at that character. So, writers making mediocre novels will tend to avoid them to focus more of the coolness on one person.

Now, since you're saying there are no novels at all that are like what you're looking for... no, you're just not seeing it because the mediocre novels tend to be easier for all the mtl groups to milk, and they tend to have faster releases, so it's much harder to find good novels in general.

Sabruness likes this.
  11. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    It just indicates a lilt in the voice~ :3

12. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    novels with just bros or a token girl for representation risk running into the very thing you pointed out: the perils and connotations of fujoshi bait. the best option for good male friendships is a good mix of male and female characters which can avert the specter of being seen as fujo bait.

As Fluffums said, it's not that novels with good male characters and friendships (that dont smell of fujo bait) dont exist. It's just the matter of finding them among all the chaff.

13. clisenby

Reading List:
    Link
    I only was given one suggestion lol

14. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Take out the romance genre :blobhero:

15. DustySpiral

DustySpiral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is a symptom of the larger issue that many LN/WNs overly focus on the MC at the expense of side character development. It's easier to get the audience to care about a female cardboard cutout than a male cardboard cutout.

Series where the side characters get to be actual characters that contribute to the plot in ways that make them feel like more than just an extension of the MC / not just a glorified cheerleader tend to have a mix of important male/female characters that journey/work with the MC. The ratio may lean heavily in one direction or another, of course.

--------------

As for what you're specifically looking for, a team-of-bros type of story tends to have a core protagonist group rather than a specific MC (even if one of the characters is a bit more prominent), and that kind of set-up seems to be pretty rare for LN/WNs in general.

16. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Daily life of highschool boys - manga
    Grand blue - manga
    Baka to test - novel
    86 - novel
    Owari no chronicle - novel
    legend of sun knight - novel, cn, but quite different from the usual cn stuff
    durarararararararara - novel
    baccano! - novel
    fullmetal alchemist - manga, there is a novel but no idea about it
    Hyouka - novel
    Hataraku Maou sama - novel
    Re:zero - novel
    Toaru series - novel
    Mushoku Tensei - novel

Some of the series line up way better than others with the "full bro party" idea but all of them have prominent bro characters

17. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a male reader, do you like these male MCs? No, right? Nobody would like to party with men like that. The only reason why female adventurers party with the MC is because they're even weaker than the MC. The only reason why the MC looks smarter than the other male characters, is because the author is projecting his own insecurities to the MC so they can't be better than him. However, in a hypothetical magic filled setting, it would be freaking rare to have a strong female characters or a successful Beta Cuck adventurer.

sonhot likes this.
  18. evankhll

evankhll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly even if people take out the romance genre a novel like "The Novels Extra" will show up.

I've read up to chapter 60 and couldn't handle it anymore, just dropped it after seeing the hidden harem forming behind the MCs back. The main girl having that immense potential but will always have to get saved from the MC. The author completely making her seem to be weak when she isnt. It's so rare to find badass female characters in novels that the author wouldn't tone down their potential. A great example being Fire Force, that sh*t made me go ballistic, the girl is so useful but she's literally just there for fanservice, even almost killed a person by being such a damsel of distress, constantly getting groped around everywhere and with such a great power like that? The author is simply wasting it, and don't even give me that "lucky lecher" excuse. It isn't even valid.

The only novels I did find with great, badass female characters and the MC hanging around with their bros constantly might be Omniscient Readers Viewpoint and Trash of the Counts Family. But pretty much 70% of the novel community knows these two novels. And these two has such huge fujobait I find it funny but didn't really mind as someone who reads BL sometimes.

19. clisenby

Reading List:
    Link
    I love Ryo‘s and Abel’s banter that they do sometimes xd

UnGrave likes this.