Discussion novels that don't deserve the rating

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Grasshole, Oct 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Grasshole

Grasshole Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    which novel do you guys think don't deserve the rating? cause i have read so many good novels with low rate like its under 4 stars and i think those novels deserves more.. what do you guys think?

2. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tatakau Shisho , should be rated higher

runsing likes this.
  3. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some Webnovel produced novels are review bombed because people dislike the publisher. QI is shit, but the novels are innocent.

boilhats likes this.
  4. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Opinion is very subjective.
    What you think is worthy of 5star might not a 5star material for me.

deadlk likes this.
  5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are two main problems with ratings systems in general. The first is that people doing the rating don't have perspective on what the numbers are supposed to mean and the second is that people think that the ratings represent some sort of measure of quality. What is a 3 supposed to be? What is a 5? I'd say that the end result is a system with vastly overinflated ratings that get more and more removed from quality.

6. IRandomGuy

IRandomGuy ohhh, custom title...

Reading List:
    Link
    It also how people judge/value the tags. Harem is hit or miss, but popular enough to have a large readers base to reviews, even if a large part of those are bots. Yuri and Bl on the other hand, have fewer that get translate, but are either really good (since translator have like the work enough despite the lower view count than their counterparts have) or disgustingly horrible(since fewer translation ="starving man can't be picky").

7. asdkanjdaks

asdkanjdaks Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't trust ratings. It's way too dependent on the people rating the novel and the reviews are subjective too. There are always so many reviews, both good and bad that you won't be able to differentiate which ones are useful and trustworthy and what is not.

8. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    You got your placement of harem, yuri and Bl in your statement wrong.
    Yuri is niche af. BL is basically mainstream. Your statement doesnt hold up for BL.
    Harems dont get reviews and majority of the tl'd ones have been tl'd years ago. And if anything harems have an equally large crowd who hate it then who read it.

^ Aye, ratings are useless and not worth looking at ever. Ranks are equally worse. Reviews are pretty meh too but if you can find a reviewer that matches your taste then those can be useful.

9. IRandomGuy

IRandomGuy ohhh, custom title...

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn, I know I haven't read much these past few years, but didn't realize I'm That out of touch. I honestly would not be surprise about decline of harem, since most works have horrible take on it(1d characters, but showcase even more since they are now in spotlight), and know a some that basically have gag reflex with the tag. I'm surprised that the other two tags are that skewed though. Both slow rise, sure, didn't think one would stagnant while the other become mainstream.

Before I derail too much though, I still think rating/review are trash, although I guess now that it brought up, maybe it just that they are saturated with old reviews from when taste are different that it's impossible to change it without wiping out old rate/reviews.

10. bkwusa

bkwusa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should read the reviews first and treat them like Amazon reviews. This means ignore the good reviews and read the bad ones. If they are negative things you can live with just give the novel a try.

11. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People have different tastes hence different reviews. Some may like Lord of the Mysteries but some might not or some might even hate it for being so slow at the beginning. Who knows why someone rated higher and likewise lower. While reading, we should look at both the lower and higher reviews and then decide or just jump directly to read. This is just my opinion.

12. wenhui89

wenhui89 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is very objective and opinionated as it is based of your preference. As mentioned above I suggest just going through the ratings and see what the bad reviews are there. A lot of decent novels got bad ratings for niche or cliché moments that gets repeated in a sense.

13. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the opposite for me - NU novels tend to be rated too highly.

14. astralmech

astralmech [ ✨ ~ snooze ] [ kr translator ] [ jpn native ]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, ratings are subjective. A lot of my favorite novels (which ngl, I could easily write a meta for all of them) are rated below 4 stars. It's frustrating at times, because you feel like other people aren't reading it as closely as you are and so they don't appreciate it as much as you do. But what can we do about that? I have a lot of really popular and well loved novels that I extremely dislike so, hey. That's just how it be LOL