Movie Dune Movie

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by animanaicT, Oct 25, 2021.

1. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    So just watched it and I thought it was a amazing movie and loved every second of it and can't wait for the 2nd movie.

However, my bro disliked the movie and thought it was boring and wanted to sleep through it.

And then it hit me the movie was a pretty faithful adaption of the books, with that comes a slow pace creating a setting that most people would find boring. As someone who loved and read the books when he was younger this movie was a delight to watch. But i guess for people with no prior interest it will be hard to get through it. Cuase my bro never read the books.

Several small complaints, some acting kinda sucked, characters didn't look like what they did in the novel (imagination knows no bounds :/ ... ) The movie ends in the middle of the story so for most people their gonna be like wtf, as we know their will be more parts this isn't really a negative but for people looking for a full movie with a beggining middle and ending theybare going to be disappointed with a 2 and a half hour movie with just a beginning.

Great set pieces, the different planets look amazing, action effects and cgi all look great. I loved the costumes and spaceships.

What do you guys think about it?

Galo4katyt likes this.
  2. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    There were a few parts my dad and I noticed were missing from the book. Paul never learns he's a mentat, there's no suspicion of treachery, Jessica doesn't drink the poison (might happen in part 2, but it looks like they want to use the time skip for the separation). Also, they made Dr. Kynes female instead of male (made no difference to the story, so I don't care).
    The first two seem to have been cut for the amount of exposition or monologue that would be required, the third because that might be a low point compared to the duel to end on.
    When Frank Herbert was writing, the idea of a woman being the foremost of a field would have been considered insane, so I think it's fine to make that change.
    And that sums up all my problems with the movie. I hope that part 2 comes out soon.

3. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been waiting to see more reviews about it personally, but you make it sound good so I'll probably check it out

4. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's good but not for everyone.
    Like, if you prefer to watch lots of action sequence with little or no thinking required throughout the movie, and that's fine btw, then you better off watch marvel movies.
    If you love to get absorbed in the setting, enjoy beautiful shots, and/or a fan of the book, then you'll love this.
    It's all about preference.

TXHY likes this.
  5. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    The biggest changes for me personally was the removal of the bible I've always felt that part when Pual finds the passage "from water does all life begin" hitting hard to Dr. Yueh when he gives him the bible a really interesting moment in the story. And the removal of history how the space guild, choam company, and other backstory stuff was formed. But as thats relatively minor I don't consider it a negative just they didnt have room to cram it in there. (The bible might be left intentionally though...)

6. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Speak of the devil I am currently watching the movie. XD

7. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't read the books but isn't it a plothole that a family doctor jammed comms and disabled shielding of a professional military? Also why didn't they have anything in orbit at least to monitor the system?
    In others words if you are a short attention span mainstream sheep.

It has a great rating so even people who read the books like it. The only ones who don't besides adaptation nitpickers are people who saw the trailer and expected lots of fast action and comedy. Tough luck, go watch your Fast and Furious.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  8. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    never read the book. but this movie was hot garbage with pretty stuff smeared in that hot garbage.

the pace started out slow, building the world in a sense (yet also managing to omit so many important things from what i could notice). spent 75% of the movie doing absolutely nothing other than building a world that has more issues than SAO. the middle gets hit with a fast paced action that is not even warranted of the fast pace, and fuck if you could really call it action. and then going again with a snails pace.

issues with logic are everywhere.
    they fight with swords and wear armour. but use explosive ammo to bombard.
    if everyone has the same tech, but also don't trust each other. and are an empire that holds multiple races. how the fuck are they seriously united in weapons tech. shield that doesn't work against "slow" "vibrating" bullet.
    there are other political issues. the one i found funny was those witches breeding a new perfect emperor. i had to hold in my urge to scream "GOD EMPEROR PROTECT US" because it sounded so warhammer.
    the kids visions are just a boring version of spoilers. that's all. they just spoiled the whole fucking ending of the whole future. they gonna win, he's not the god emperor. he gonna pork the sand babe. ggwp.

i was unbelievably bored during the whole movie.
    i did find few things interesting. but solid 99% was overrated.

9. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not an action movie and what Warhammer, the first book is from 1965 predating Games Workshop by a decade.
    Visions are not spoilers, MC saw black guy being his guide but ended up killing him. It was symbolic as killing him was their way so in a sense he did guide him.
    As for the weapons, read books for more details but I wouldn't nitpick an old sci fi for that. Yeah of course they bombard, if they can turn of the shield WHICH THEY FUCKING DID or target unshielded targets.
    Don't bother with Dune anymore as clearly your bias is gonna trigger pet peeves everywhere.

10. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    i never said it was an action movie. i said it's shit movie that doesn't even understand the concept of pace.

visions are spoilers in the way they show it. they show us things he could never do without them. doesn't matter if he slightly deviates from them. the ending is shown

you are quite funny. your bias is set just because you loved the book. so noone can hate it unless they do the same as you? dude. you are an embarrassment.

dude. my complaint was against them having the same tech that is only negated by the same tech everyone has. if they have weapons to pierce shields as a standard use. why the fuck don't they develop something better? considering the factions don't trust each other at all and are multi cultural/different species to begin with? this damn story tries to set itself as a sci fi, while also setting itself up as idk what with those armours and swords. it's a bs combination of everything that doesn't stick.

doesn't matter if the book is old. it's not an excuse to be a shoddy work.

11. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I should've not replied to a known edgelord...
    Visions are a thing in fiction, not spoilers.
    Who said I've read the books? I simply said read them for more info if you want.
    Old sci fi don't age well, it's not authors fault. People just didn't have information back then what actual space civilization would be like, let alone modern technology.
    Still the story is worth making into a movie after all this time, same as Star Wars.
    I know I won't watch Foundation no matter how many people say the books are awesome and classics, to me it's terribly outdated but I respect it for what it's done for the sci fi genre. In this case I did read half of the first book. I won't shit on it like you.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  12. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    in 1965? they saw us in 2000 with flying cars. space travel, laser guns and all that magic. people may have not had information. but they sure did have IMAGINATION. and for the author to go with swords and shields that don't work was a pathetic choice. even by 1965 standards. and they made kong v godzilla in the damn 60s.
    read the books! why? because I'm lazy to make a comment! and also, let's equate books with movies. because you sure can't watch a movie without knowing the books!

mister edgelord. LOL. thanks for the compliment. how should we call you? "dictator"?

13. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    old sci fi doesnt age well ?
    theres some old scifi stuff something with star and wars guess it made it past 15 movies now
    some other old stuff something with star and trek is around for ages too
    babylon 5 besides not aged well animations is still one of the best sci-fi series ever
    might come down to what ppl like/prefer

14. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Those movies while still good are not as good as they used to be. For example when I rewatched one of the or originals, the scene with fighters chase around the Death Star was duplicated and those new movies are guess what... new(even though the actual newest are much worse than the originals)... active franchise doesn't mean its old movies aren't somewhat outdated.
    I'm not a nazi for visuals, it bugs me that people who liked some games 20- years ago now say oh those graphics are crap and the game is crap. When 20- years ago everyone was perfectly happy with them.

That wasn't even my point, the point was people back then didn't imagine future would be just making electronics smaller instead of flying cars and shit. That's why Star Wars which is a soft sci fi, half fantasy really... has lasers, quad lasers, turbo lasers, hypermatter, ray shields and other cheesy 80's terms while new sci fi have shit like impulse drive, neutrino ion engines, dark matter and all sorts of real or theoretically possible pseudo science terms.
    SW strong point is the story, that's why it being outdated doesn't matter so much.

15. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone watched the erlier Dune movies, or series? Coomparing the two, how are they?
    I only rmb, James Mc Avoy was in it.

userunfriendly likes this.
  16. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve watched everything. I actually enjoy the series more. Until the director’s cut comes out, with the expected massive extras, commentary, and deleted content. The series is great if you’ve never read the novels. The movie is great if you have. The Sting version is great if you you’re smoking somethingnottobacco and want to see some cool effects. :D:D

Kaylee likes this.