Discussion Anime: The good ol days

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or maybe I'm getting old though it's been less than ten year or just about, don't watch most new anime anymore since they all look like trash. I came off hiatus (watch and see on myanimelist, pics, discussions seasons etc) to watch. Jujutsu kaisen which is I liked a lot. Before that was classroom of elite I think with the red school uniform and red hair? And school with extreme activities. Was on and off breaks sometimes over a year.

But don't watch much anime anymore, the new stuff is trash and the older stuff gave you taste add to that the fact that even the old stuff had flaws you had to overlook to enjoy them, then the new stuff is just unpalatable. Ah the days of guilty crown, Sao before it turned trash (it's not stereotype hate, those who know from back when the first episode was released know when the good part ends), back when gurren lagann, fairy tail (before it's fall from grace), bleach, first AOT, psycho pass, Tokyo ghoul, ruronin (? can't spell) Kenshin, Noragami, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, Inuyasha, One piece pre time skip, or those personal unique experiences that got you into anime, some no name stuff that if you look back now seems like trash but has nostalgic value, for me it was Beyblade, Zatch Bell, Bleach and Inuyasha, Beet the Vandal Buster, Heroic age, DN angel, Air gear, Naruto, Bakugan, Blue dragon, FMA, Highschool of the dead and DXD (wink, although hero is pure trash and sh*t on its legacy), angel beats, darker than black and some others I forgot (I probably threw a lot of you off with these didn't I since they aren't mainstream mostly)

and all the other greats didn't feel outdated some were fresh and others were only slightly old but still in the picture like Code Geass and FMA that generation, or back in the days of back to back action just before the trend of trash I think it ended with assassination classroom, Charlotte, kekkai sensen, the one where the name eludes me: green And black blade, demons, soldier like faction with mc against vampires in a post apocalyptic world with hax mode mc (this one is obvious like Naruto) no I think it was just before or just after My Hero Academia and One punch man that the great era ended. Was black clover in their set too? Don't remember was never a fan, it had what it took to join Naruto, One piece and the others but it handled it wrong something was missing. Anyways.

Ahhhh the good ole dayssss!!!!!!!!!
    So nostalgic!!!

2. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah there came a point where there was just good anime, but nothing memorable. Or I just got burnt out.

I couldn't tell you a damn thing about My Hero after 4 seasons except dude punches things hard.

The one with the green and black blade and vampires is probably Owari no Seraph.

The only anime my brain registers when someone asks me anime is:
    Yuru Camp (SoL camping girls)
    Bungou Stray Dogs (Superpower mafia turf war basically)
    and Mob Psycho (One Punch Man's creator made the same thing again but an emotional middle schooler)

3. Mewtolentino

Mewtolentino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Old anime's like Trigun and Desert punk just hits different, most new anime's today feel just like copy and paste with some new additions or twists which honestly takes out the novel feeling.

I also kinda miss old cartoons like the old teen titans( the new one is trash), generator rex, young justice, justice league, and etc. They had amazing stories and action scenes, the new cartoons honestly feels like they are trying to destroy the new generations' brain cells.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  4. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    naw your tastes are pretty mainstream I'd say. You did forget a lot of good ones, but yea, I hate to be hipster, but I'm not into a lot of newer animes. I think I also regret that a lot of the thought provoking animes weren't profitable enough to still be made these days... Nowadays, they just go with bland to appeal to the most amount of people possible because it still sells regardless.

5. deadlyexistence23

deadlyexistence23 ❝ And maybe, for a while that was true ❞

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, most manga/anime nowadays is isekai.... I think it dominated the whole world actually, I mean, isekai is fine.... but there's just too much same stuff that it gets boring because you already know what will happen next, it's cliche ik, and there's definitely cliche out there that was delivered right, ahh, I really just want something new. This is why Jujutsu Kaisen, chainsaw man, although relatively new, with a unique concept, it really does stand out.

I'm the same with you honestly, for some reason anime this days just kinda seem meh, maybe it's because I've watched many animes or maybe the quality kinda dropped this days, all I see is copy and paste.

6. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I like a lot of the new titles. Sure you have to turn your brain off because of the low quality but it's nice seeing a story that you liked reading being animated.

Although to be fair, I prefer reading Slice of Life stories so there's not much action there. None of that plain vanilla 3DCG or badly choreographed fight scenes...

...although I did like the 3DCG in Arpeggio.

Miku and Deleted member 369806 like this.
  7. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To help you remember the fond old days of anime~

8. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    ah~ heroic age, banner of the star series, school rumble, patlabor, rai thunder jet~
    lot's of good anime back then..

9. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    The time you think that the new anime are thrash means you got old.... the child in you got turned into adult based on your experience and situation...

Children in this time will think that the anime today is cool but when they grow up will definitely think the same as you

10. NorthBladeTL

NorthBladeTL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like by trash you mean isekai lol.

Several genres still produce good series, at least for me, slice-of-life/romcom is still going strong (blue period, aquatope, bokutachi no remake, maid dragon, uramichi oniisan, fumetsu no anata e, mashiro no oto, horimiya, oregairu, kaguya-sama love is war kakushigoto, kono oto tomare, carole and tuesday, violet evergarden, grand blue...and the one I like most, March Comes in Like a Lion.

As for shonen, I definitely enjoyed jujitsu kaisen, kingdom, dr stone, mairimashita iruma-kun, tokyo revengers.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  11. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I feel you, I know each and every one of those you just mentioned.

Pokemon is pure trash but......you know the the theme song don't you? Embedded in all of our memories

I'd say yes and no to that, like the first Naruto is objectively good minus filler. But that probably applies to some other ones I'd rewatch some if I hadn't rewatched them regularly in the last like Katekyo hitman reborn. It's useless I remember it all. But as an adult I don't really have that kind of time anymore to waste on so many episodes rewatching Naruto and bleach, unless I do it bit by bit but again I remember it all so most of the old ones even without nostalgia are good. Since anime are like movies you don't expect much pure logic from them.

12. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    See, the trick is: most of it was trash even back then. You just remember the good ones better or have fond memories of the trash ones because your tastes hadn't matured back then and everything was exciting and new. You would cringe to watch some of your favorites from back then again now. (RIP Escaflowne, you angsty drivel I once loved)
    Things like Inuyasha and Naruto were just as bad as the stuff that's coming out now. We just remember it more fondly.
    We older folks just don't have the tolerance or passion to sift through the trash to find the treasures.
    There's some modern American anime-style cartoons that have been brilliant over the last decade or so. Avatar, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Owl House, etc. These are cartoons made by peeps who grew up watching anime.
    It's not quite the same, as they're decidedly aimed at kids even if the content is emotionally mature, but maybe a change in style is just what you need to regain some of that passion.

missluna, Ddraig, phonebinder and 3 others like this.
  13. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I must be old. When I look at all the list of anime. I’m like aren’t these fairly new? I mean when I think about old anime. I think Dragonball, Gundam, Mr. Ajikko, Tenchi Universe, Fist of the North Star, Sailor Moon, Golden Boy, Rurouni Kenshin, Initial D, Trigun, Outlaw Star and Pokémon. Lol. Anything around the 90s is my mark for old

14. Emissary Nouvelle

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say yes and no to that, like the first Naruto is objectively good minus filler. But that probably applies to some other ones I'd rewatch some if I hadn't rewatched them regularly in the last like Katekyo hitman reborn. It's useless I remember it all. But as an adult I don't really have that kind of time anymore to waste on so many episodes rewatching Naruto and bleach, unless I do it bit by bit but again I remember it all so most of the old ones even without nostalgia a
    Most if us remember those, they were old then and even older now. Shame about initial d too, great but author f'ed it up with the last ride being with a kid younger than him, it's been years but just thinking about it pisses me off.

15. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    my little brother labeled all the other new anime trash except "attack on titans" and "demons slayer". wich honestly are the only anime plot driven i see recently. so i can tell you these past 2 year there wasn't much interesting anime made. ten years ago you had a choice beetwen 30 different anime, now you are lucky to find a 1 or 2 that is worth wasting your time on it.

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  16. Marvin

Reading List:
    Link
    How old is your little brother anyway?

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  17. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree old school anime was lit, cartoons too but modern ones... alot of them suck XD
    Nah bro, bad stuff is bad regardless of age XD

Avatar, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Owl House, etc. made by people who grew up watching cartoons? doubtful and inconceivable, honestly, if they grew up watching good old days cartoons, that stuff would've turned out better, and the ones you mentioned are for kids yes but not at all emotionally mature, lots of stuff in there shouldn't be shown to kids to say the least but I am not against it as I do agree that some of it was good like Avatar the Last Airbender: Legend of Aang, the first seasons of Adventure Time and some other stuff but honestly most of the recent cartoons and comics aren't worth it more even so than what any manga or anime could ever be XD

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2021
  18. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    15 year, and he started watching animes 2-3 years ago

19. Sawanara murasaki

Sawanara murasaki Sawa the HEro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    My favourite anime when I was very² young!! It's a very good anime to watch and I love the hippopotamus girl a lot:cookie::cookie: I watched it like 12 years ago so I can't remember the whole plot, sadly:blobpensive:

Isn't this Owari no Seraph (Seraph of the end)?
    If yes then gonna say that it's my most favourite anime, watch it for many times already:blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes:

I agree with this statement, except Record of Valkyrie (to me, it's an excellent anime:blobpats::blobpats:)

20. Marvin

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, no not early enough

Cutter Masterson likes this.