Discussion how do you keep up with your game?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Miku, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    I have made steam account in the last 7 months, and have a few games I haven't played yet. the amount of games reaching 100% completion is 0. even if I game all day in saturday, my progress in the games is almost none.

With less than 10 games in my library, i feel guilty of not completing them. feeling like it is a wasted purchase. Even right now, I keep going back to skyrim, playing new build and redo the questline, ignoring a lot of my other games. the SAO game I bought is only opened once. I haven't opened the witcher 1, 2, 3 at all. Valkyria chronicles 1 and 4, my second purchase of the steam games is there, unplayed in my library. I played 1, but only the first two battles. Idol manager, I enjoyed immensely, but after being stuck in chapter 5, I stopped now and haven't pick it up again. The last game in my library is digimon story cyber sleuth. and this is the only game I have significant progress in.

I did pick up syberia 1 & 2 for free. but it is unplayed.

how do you keep up with your backlog, gamer of NUF? I want to buy cities: skylines. but buying it is just adding another title to my library with potential of being unplayed.

2. Kirikaize

Kirikaize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can and it doesn't hurt your wallet go for it. Play what you enjoy, don't buy a game for the sake of completing it. If you enjoy it, it will one day get completed. If you think of it as a chore you'll be even more reluctant to play.
    For example, I've played almost all the Assassin's creed series but I didn't complete black flag as I didn't quite like it.
    So as long as you're not in the red it's fine. And it doesn't really affect your future plans.

3. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. Except for black flag. Hated third one though and didnt bother with the ones after black flag. I also do the same as the OP with skyrim

Miku likes this.
  4. puukkiss

puukkiss I'm Keeping My Eye On You!

Reading List:
    Link
    Keeping up with games.... *nervous laughter while staring at the row of half-played games*
    I think first you need to realize what kind of gamer you are.
    Yes, the game might be fun, but not what you need.

Some people can focus only on one game. They are often MMO players or a specific genre players (Sports/Shooters). Other games simply can't catch them. They feel annoyed that the other game is taking time from playing their one and only game.

Skyrim, more or less, is a less RPG and more Sandbox. You don't need to think about the storyline, what to do. Everything simply flows. More importantly, it is already an old game everyone knows, therefore there is no stress of learning new things and not knowing what will happen later. It is a great relaxing game if you are stressed. Yes, you might think you are not stressed, but to be stressed you don't need a lot.
    Other games are more for fun than relaxing, therefore, even if you want to play, you subconsciously avoid them. You need to learn a new system, a new play style, new everything. If you are stressed, this will add to the stress and you will not want to play.

If you truly think, this is not the problem, then try making a schedule. Cut your free time into [New game] [Skyrim] At the end play a game you know you like.

My problem finishing games comes from the fact I like to play it in one go. Meaning, I play the game with fewer as possible distractions. If work, life, family makes me stop playing it for a few days, when I return, instead of continuing my +100 hour save file, I'll ... start a new one. Somehow, playing the one I left, doesn't bring me any more joy. So I need to start over. *sad tears*

asriu, Sabruness, ANonMouse and 3 others like this.
  5. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    A completionist? Don't people who plays skyrim get stressed with those shouts that they haven't uncovered? or stone of barenziah? Those quest list is just horrible to do list for me.

anon likes this.
  6. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Easy, I don't.

Most of my games are free anyway.

IRandomGuy and Miku like this.
  7. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, you need to understand of what kind of game you like to play.
    Secondly, what would you play an extra for a change of mind. Can be any genre of games.
    Thirdly, you should be able to enjoy from it. Else there's no point of playing.

Of course it's all different if you're playing for streaming or professional and etc.

Miku likes this.
  8. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I just download games that I know I'll play alot. Haven't 100% most of them though, usually just complete the main campaign and DLCs, like the Souls series.

Miku likes this.
  9. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do you have the need to keep up with the games?
    They are for fun and not a chore you have to play and complete. If you dropped some games half through, maybe they aren't worth your time. As for feeling guilty, because you payed money for them? What should the "angry video game nerd" say :p
    Especially for steam games you don't have to feel guilty anyway. Let's be honest, most of the backlog games are from steam sales with huge discounts.

10. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    i have hundreds of unfinished games ...

11. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually I have anything from 1 to 6 games I play at any given period of time, as I get bored really easily. For example, right now my regular playing game is Genshin Impact, but I'm also playing Fatal Frame, Metroid Dread and Xenoblade Chronicles; completely different themed games for my different mood states.
    Lately, I just add a game I "might" plan to play to my wishlist, but rarely buy it outright. When I get bored of what I'm playing at the moment, I just browse my wishlist, and look for something that suits my current mood.
    Besides, IMHO, games are something to enjoy for the joy of playing, not solely for the joy of finishing it, as if it is some kind of chore.:blob_coffee:

On my Steam library, I probably have between 15% to 25% completely finished games; and that's from a 200+ games list.

Deleted member 38284 and Miku like this.
  12. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    Casual gamer. I'm... well. I'm a completionist. I'm also a cheater, so I play single player games only. It's the narrative, the story, the music that makes me enjoy a game. So, I usually crank up exp multiplier as well as money multiplier in my games to avoid grinding. other than that... no cheat.

Other than RPG, I like sandbox game as I can create my own story. But it is also my most time consuming ones.

mm... while I'm not in the red and having no problem financially, the completion rate is just nagging at my mind. Since childhood, I'm always looking to extend what I can do with my game to lessen buying games. So, it kind of become a habit to this day? So, maybe it's a chore for me to game. Even looking at the guide posted at gamefaqs can't accelerate my pace in completing the game, that I feel like it's a chore.

I also think similarly, that I downloaded games that I think I know I'll play a lot. But... in actuality, my backlog is there.

habit. I usually play to completion. And seeing that I am now financially able but having less time to spend in gaming... I wonder if I should continue or not. one game can last me 4 months at this rate. And let's not talk about skyrim. That one is just... horrible. I wish I can complete the game faster. But playing hyper-optimized build with resto loop is just... not fun at all. I feel like the best enjoyment for that kind of games are the restriction you can give to yourself.

13. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgot to mention that there is "another" game that I'm playing as well, but since it's an 18+ Early Access game, I better leave that for another kind of forum. :blobwink:

Miku likes this.
  14. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What does completing a game even mean? Do you mean simply completing the main story line? Or is it getting all the achievements of the game? Completing the main story is for many games 10 hours or so, but there are other games where you need to put in a lot more time in.

Many of the games I play (seems as if I'd play a lot of games, but I actually don't) are more of sandbox games. Strategy games don't have an actual ending. You can replay them over and over again and I put 3000 hours into one strategy game. So to me, it's not about finishing the game, it's just about having fun. When I played it so much it stopped being fun, then I stop playing it.

But yes, if it was a visual novel... it would probably eat me alive not to finish it. I have 18 games in steam and there are 7 I have never played...

Sabruness and Miku like this.
  15. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    definitely. on another note have you seen the upcoming steam game starship troopers. As a fan of the 1st movie I'm excited for the completed game, although the beta is still fun if hard

Miku likes this.
  16. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't

17. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    for me... it's often all bestiary/item list completed, all sidequest as well as main quest done, extra boss defeated, and reached max stats.

also, if there is multiple endings, all ending get. even bad endings.

Senros and anon like this.
  18. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like the completionist habit is holding you back since Skyrim is basically neverending and open worlds tend to have too much content. A friend of mine had a similar issue and he finally dedicated himself to finishing his backlog, albeit very slowly. He's still has some DS games in that log, that's how many games he has on his to-do list lol. And like you, his habit is something he picked up when we were kids because there weren't a lot of good games coming out back then so you did all you could to extend your play. Nowadays though, there are too many good games that require a good chunk of time, esp since the genres of games we can play have also expanded a great deal

Anyways, I kinda understand the part where it's hard to just pick up another game rather than the one that's comfortable. When you pick up a new game, there's a pressure to learn all the new systems and mentally think about how you want to approach thiiings wheras with things you've comfortable with, you can just jump right in. It's why battle royale games are so popular imo : easy to jump in and play a few rounds and lose a few hours.

Sabruness and Miku like this.
  19. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    do i need too ?

my epic library contains 140 games out of that i installed 13 games finished 0 and 3 were started once
    (ok you might not really "finish" a gta5 online or a elite dangerous) but then i often end up playing star trek online or wows anyway

as long as i had fun i spend my time right i guess

Miku likes this.
  20. IRandomGuy

IRandomGuy ohhh, custom title...

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a f2p, so my view might differ slightly, however it should not be by That much. So while you might feel more guilty because you paid for them and have not play them yet/to completion.. why should you feel so?
    When you pay for a game, what did you really do? You have :
    - Support the creators of said game, provide them income & depend on the sale & reviews, opportunity for the creation of sequel/new game by creators.
    - You obtain ownership over that copy of the game. It's yours. You paid for it. Want play it over and over again? Go for it. Want to put if off until you reach/have time/mood? Sure. Hate it so much you going to vent by physically burn that copy? You paid for it, no one stopping you. It is entirely your, and will stay yours, there are no rush.
    The whole point of game is a enjoy yourself, at some point or another, we just forget that. While I'm also a completionist for most game, there are time where it just not going to happen, expecially if you stop having fun when doing so. Stop. Play another day. It could be stiff hand. It could be the mindset. Take your time, it will be complete at one point or another, just make sure you are having fun while doing so.

If you are not having fun, completing feel like crushing emptiness ...