The Wheel of Time

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by DiabolicGod, Nov 11, 2021.

?

Will you watch this new Series?

1. Yes

16.7%
  2. I watch every new series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't watch series in general

66.7%
  4. No

41.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just saw an Article that said that Amazon was filming a TV-Series based on the novels. I never read them, but often got them recomended to me. With the Movie Dune, based on the novel with the same name which I also have wanted to read for quite some time, I am looking forward to watching movies and series again.
    If I can't get around to reading highly recommended stuff I might as well just watch it.

If you read either, would you recommend them? Will you go to the cinema/watch them despite having read the novels or because you read them?

2. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know, it is not that I don't watch series but I am not a fan of them, but I did watch some, so honestly I am not sure, all I can say is that I might give it a try XD

DiabolicGod likes this.
  3. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. I didn't fancy Wheel of Time books either, so a tv series makes no difference.

CountryMage and DiabolicGod like this.
  4. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I had read 9 of the books in The Wheel of Time and, frankly, I regret it. I waited for and bought the 10th book, but I couldn't bring myself to read it. It was 2 decades ago, so I don't remember much of it, but a couple of things stick out.

It seemed that every couple of books or so, a new set of people were introduced and the next books spent most of their time on them. I kept feeling like I was baited and switched. Why was I reading about these guys and why should I care? What were the "original main characters" (from the initial books) doing while all of this is going on in some other corner of the world? And because there were so many books, which were moderately thick, eventually I couldn't remember what was going on with the main plot lines.

My main peeve, though, was that the "original main characters" didn't talk to each other. They're all youths from the same village and headed out roughly at the same time. You'd think that out of all the other people they later got involved with and the bad experiences they had while out by themselves, they would have some familiarity and trust for people from their home town. Their "own people". Friends who haven't been sullied by the specific greed and manipulations they're entangled with. But, no. The few times their paths crossed and they happen to meet, they talked to each other like strangers. And a couple of them were actually friends since childhood too! Not even a "so what have you been up to?" or "have you heard about that thing that happened?" or especially, "hey, let me give you a heads up about these people who gave me some trouble". If they had only compared experiences, the whole series (up to where I read) could have been cut by a third.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    "guys, we've run out of GoT content, what do we do use now?!"

DiabolicGod likes this.
  6. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember reading the first two book, then i forgot about it. maybe i will give a try when i'm bored. but for sure i'm not looking foward for it.
    i would be more interested if they made the "mistborn" series.

elengee and DiabolicGod like this.
  7. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been several years in the making. It's interesting how most of the main cast comes from a region that has been genetically isolated from the rest of the world for centuries (if not millenia), yet they have more colours than a rainbow. Which not only goes against genetics, but also undermines the ethnic situation of the world's setting.

The story in itself is good, as long as you find yourself in a phase where you like that kind of stories, but it's better to watch it without referencing the novels, wikis and forums, not only because following a story in several media has a knack of making you irrationally hate at least one of the versions, but also because you may suffer rage contagion from online, since the fact that the last volume was so long-awaited, was published after the death of the author and was split in three blew the expectations out of proportion to the point that the nice ending it had failed to live to the exceedingly high standards a lot of fans had by then.

DiabolicGod likes this.
  8. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I was excited about it but every time the cast and crew do interviews. I got more and more worried that it's going to suck. from most of the cast saying they never read the book. to a lot of talk about modern politic being shoved in.

DiabolicGod and Greater thunder like this.
  9. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite mediocre. Seems somewhere Shannara level.

10. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    After watching this review, I realized that I've forgotten everything I had read. I can't recognize anything they talked about except for a couple of the names.