Recommendations Looking for a selfish MC

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Eskapisti, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Eskapisti

Eskapisti Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like webnovels/fanfics where the protagonist has some knowledge and abilities he shouldn't have (reincarnated with memories, system, transmigration from modern world to one of magic etc.). What tends to bother me when reading this kind of fiction is the fact that far too often the MC decides to share his advantages or even teach others so that they can do the same thing.
    Now, this usually doesn't lead to betrayal or anything like that but it does piss me off. For once I'd like to read about a character that really keeps his cards close to his chest. This is not to say that the MC should be an evil psycho, I don't mind if he uses his abilities to provide for his family or teach them stuff needed to take care of themselves, but he should actively try to keep others weaker than himself and maximise all the advantages he has been granted by whatever boon the author has originally decided to grant him.

Other requirements:
    - Male protagonist
    - No yaoi
    - Preferably no kingdom building as I don't want the MC to fuck up the whole world by deciding to arbitrarily introduce gunpowder and stuff

Thanks.

2. DrunkReader01

DrunkReader01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shield Loyalist and maymthu like this.
  3. eredffe

eredffe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm reading the manhwa at the moment and liking it so far. I've read some of the reviews on the novel itself and it seems okay-ish. Not too big on yanderes :cautious:

Thanks and keep the recommendations coming!

5. heartstampexpress

heartstampexpress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw this title and was also instantly about to recommend RIM! I also wasn’t a big fan of Jung Hayan (the yandere) while I was reading, but honestly other than the few arcs where she’s the focus (which are very easy to skip), I really enjoyed the novel. My favorite lady of the harem is Lee Jihye!

DrunkReader01 likes this.
  6. heartantares

heartantares One Who Provides Uselessly Detailed Information

Reading List:
    Link
    Warlock of the Magus World

The Main Character Hides His Strength
    (The titles might be a bit off i forget)

They sorta help people >.> but their way of doing things is hmmmmmm.... i guess. Chaos everywhere.

1st ones gets kinda boring cuz +1k chs of travel and ? ? ? And the 2nd one the mc is just plain too op

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  7. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
  8. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Marquis’ Eldest Son’s Lascivious Story :blobxd:
    sort of a troll suggestion, but it does fit your requested requirements

9. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose I must try reading this as three people already recommend it. Can you spoil me if the MC will always be lacking in individual power compared to his peers? Thanks.

I know I asked for selfish but Leylin was a bit too evil/emotionless for my taste. Good recommendation though.
    Is the second rec the one where the MC had some weird impotence curse or am I just remembering wrong? Seemed like a cheap way for author to avoid including romance.

Thanks.

10. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    He finds his own path of strength, but so far (up to where I've read a few hundred chapters in) his personal individual power doesn't exceed that of his peers. Then again, he chose monstrous talents as peers. Btw I recommend regressor's instruction manual as well.

Eskapisti likes this.
  11. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried reading this months ago and eventually quit around the sun palace arc if I remember correcly. I was hesitant to begin reading at first because the MC is a complete psycho but on the other hand he felt actually smart and I enjoyed his schemes. Eventually, I grew too exhausted to read because the world seemed to work against the MC and continuously invalidate his efforts.

Reading the tags I'm left to wonder if this one is full on hentai or does it have actual plot?

Thanks.

12. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    I really wish it was written/translated at a higher speed because I actually am interested in the plot. It's just especially slow because all the sex slows it down, but I'm really anticipating learning more about this world and watching the mc leave his mark (on not only the ladies.

13. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. I'll check this one out.

14. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only one novel fit this description 100%:

The Legendary Mechanic.

Obs: while my taste is the inverse of yours (in which i like when MC share part of his plot armor) TLM is one of the best novels i read).

ANonMouse likes this.
  15. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read a few hundred chapters. Funny how much tastes can differ. For me, I find selfish characters more realistic and reading about them makes me less anxious for them than reading about the selfless ones. Some plot armor sharing wouldn't even be that big of deal but often times it happens when the MC has known the other character for only a little while and has not, for example gotten used to the world he has been isekaied to or some such. Idk, maybe I just have trust issues:unsure:

Thanks for the rec though.

16. Despapa69

Reading List:
    Link
    I like that since usually any MC will have bullshit levels of plot armor. Even though they sometime struggle, they never actually suffer losses. That's why I grew bored with most novels. To each his own I guess.

17. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
    I get what you mean. I did read those around 600 chapters in a relatively quick pace so that probably had something do with it. However, if I'm not wrong
    the world was supposed to work against the MC as someone higher than the gu immortals had something to do with Fang Yuan. This is just a spoiler I read afterwards and I don't know if it actually happens but it would make sense why I felt the way I felt while reading.

18. Despapa69

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like that
    though I won't elaborate in case you wish to continue it.

Eskapisti likes this.
  19. Eskapisti

Reading List:
    Link
  20. orangethegreatorange

orangethegreatorange Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have some recommendations, but most of their MCs are sociopathic:
    Soul of Negary
    Youjo Senki
    Ouroboros Records
    Dungeon Defense
    FFF-Class Trashero - he is a psycho
    Netheril’s Glory - tbh just began reading it so I am not quite sure. Tho I would assume he is selfish from the description.

Eskapisti likes this.