Recommendations Good world buliding and writing style fantasy novels.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by bakaemon, Nov 15, 2021.

1. bakaemon

bakaemon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a long time reader that has read quite a number of novels on this site. As time go on, I was grow up from those fast food web novels to be able to find hidden gems and listed it on my own list. However, finding them is not a simple matter, and I found myself disappointed of many promising novel with great start. So I made this thread for people to recommend gem of novels to myself and others. Any genre is fine!

P/s: I'm a male reader, so I would appreciate if female readers recommend me anything other than yaoi (Shounen Ai is fine), thanks for your consideration.

2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MMWO, WHF_reads and bakaemon like this.
  3. Daoist Ghoul

Daoist Ghoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    did you try reading Second Coming of Gluttony ??
    do try, Little Tyrant Doesn't Want A Bad End
    plus, check out 'The Author's PoV' on web novel, it's worth reading and actually good.

4. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In other words, any genre but yaoi is fine if you're female, but if you're male you can rec yaoi? xD

I'll just rec a few that aren't in your rec list, since it seems you have most of the ones I would definitely rec to people for worldbuilding and writing style. Erm, I haven't totally caught up to all these novels though, so they might not have the best endings. I also can't see which novels you've dropped since you don't have a public reading list for that. I'll try my best to rec ones with lots of chapters translated.

- The Tutorial Is Too Hard
    - Crossing to the Future, it’s Not Easy to Be a Man (very unrealistic sci-fi, fairly unique, crossdressing)
    - Super Dimensional Wizard (slow af, but it's ok if you like infodumps)
    - Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint (also fairly unique)
    - The Grandmaster Strategist (It's like, high literature or something)
    - The Legendary Mechanic
    - The Great Storyteller (I heard it's good)
    - I Reincarnated as a Noble Girl Villainess But Why Did It Turn Out This Way? (WN)

bakaemon likes this.
  5. bakaemon

Reading List:
    Link
    I had read LoM and put it on highest rank of my own list after creating it. However, due to that I was unable to appreciate other apart of House of Horror (which was a bit enjoyable, but it's still haunted with a little Marry Sue MC, in my opinion). Still, I appreciate your recommendation!

I've read most of the novels you recommended, I can say your taste is fairy good! However, each of them has their own problem regarding the cliches and sugarcoated MC. I don't dislike strong or overpowered MC, but making them too perfect make me unable to immerse in the story. The best one in your list is your last one, I haven't finished it yet, but will take time for it sometimes. Thanks for your recommendation!

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  6. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really depends on your preference

Ghost Hunt (horror) & Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (wish granting) these two are in modern era, so I am not sure if it fit your requirements. But they are great novel.

Lazy king - has unique plot. Not really detailed on world building.

Maou maoyuu yuusha. I would recommend the manga version of this since the manga is completely translated. A mix of economy and fantasy.

Ascending, Do Not Disturb & My Disciple Died Yet Again - light hearted cultivation novel.

No 6. Dystopian fantasy. Contain light boys love. I belong to the category that classify them as really good friends tho.

Sevens & Mushoku Tensei. These two novels have cliche (harem, weak to strong, tropes), but somehow still managed to differentiate from the other fantasy world.

Release the witch & Dungeon Defense are really popular back when they are translated.

bakaemon likes this.
  7. PeepoMrFool

PeepoMrFool Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  8. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    bakaemon likes this.
  9. bakaemon

Reading List:
    Link
    Zero to Maria definitely a great series, along with Monogatari Series and newer novel Mushoku Tensei. I am curious about the Maou one and No. 6, which look very promising. And about Dungeon Defense, that one is a bit edgy for me and the main character is a literal a**hole that I personally dislike. The series itself inspired many Korean novel later on, however, it is really something.
    I have a personal question, because you look like has refined taste of your own: do you have any recommendation that similar to Faraway Paladin and Grimgar series? Both hold a place that are standard fantasy novel for me, I don't mind if it JP, KR, or CN. Thank you for your recommendation above!

That's right, if male readers do that, I may read it XD.

10. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I've been branching out to western novels more lately but many are generic litrpgs. The top completed and ongoing in RoyalRoad are probably what you'll find good with a few gems in the rising section.
    Little Tyrant Doesn't Want to Meet a Bad End - great world building and characterss. The worldbuilding is pretty great especially with the MC's bloodline trait to experience a complete copy of any important part of history. The love interests are also great as well but I personally like the stepsister the least.
    Stagnant Water of Apocalypse - I reviewed it quite some time ago so I don't really feel like writing an essay for it.
    Ending Maker - A great shounenesque novel with a couple that are basically speedrunners blazing through the story to stop basically ragnarok. Thd author's other works are pretty similar too so check them out if you liked this.
    I'm an Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire - more comedic and probably started by the author as a story wrote for fun while he was publishing Sevens and Otome Mob for LN but got famous too. Great for binging.
    damn a lot of my chinese, korean and japanese reccs are already in your list.

bakaemon likes this.
  11. bakaemon

Reading List:
    Link
    I've ignored Little Tyrant due to many people complain about it so I will give it a try. The Evil lord one is great at first, but still suffered some problem later on, still, I forgot to include it into my list, along with Seven too.
    Finally, Stagnant Water of Apocalypse, might look at it later and give it a try. Thanks for your recommendation!

12. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a slow burn but picks up when the first Witness State happens.

13. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
  14. bakaemon

Reading List:
    Link
    Both has promising start...
    Thank you for your recommendation!

15. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    .... how could I have forgotten. :LOL:

A Will Eternal. :ROFLMAO:

Read if you feel the need for a pick me up on a crappy day.

"What do you like about me? I'll change!" lol.

spitfirefox and bakaemon like this.
  16. bakaemon

Reading List:
    Link
    I've reached the level of shamelessness that virtually impossible.
    Thanks for enlightened me of such existence of MC such as BX.
    Now I can cringe forever.

17. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    You're welcome. I'll never get over the intro where his master keeps getting "crank called" because he kept putting out the incense. lol.

18. Gluttonous Goat

Gluttonous Goat Be GOAT, Do [CHOMP!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you fine with reading off of royal road if so:
    Azarinth healer
    Primal Hunter
    Beneath the dragoneye moons
    There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns. Is short so far but has good world building

19. RiboseSugar

RiboseSugar Mirror Mirror, I'm beautiful. Fact, not question.

Reading List:
    Link
    My Iyashikei Game has the same author as MHOH. Both are a little mary but not bad. One of the reasons why MHOH is a little "bad"is due to the fact that China has censored supernatural stuff, not horror but anything that has to do with both. I think he got away MIG because he described it as a virtual world

20. bakaemon

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading your comment and go reading your recommendation, I have to thank you for telling me that hidden gem! Although the comment said its flaws from MHOF is magnified, I'm still not see the problem yet and dived into binge read. Thank you again!
    Edit: I can't go on binge mode at chapter 44, it's my limit. The problem aroused with numerous flaw in characters and plot. Quite disappointed

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    RiboseSugar likes this.