Discussion Grammar Care Bears

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Rant start: I'm a huge fan of "theirishdreamer" fanfics on Spacebattles but I do have pet peeve on his grammar. How the fuck does an English native speaker not know how to properly use there/their/they're or your/you're, even after writting more than 1 million words of fanfics...Does he not care, despite all the readers who must be complaining?
    Ironically his MC is always a cleric of an order aligned lawful good God, yet his writting is chaotic.
    Also he keeps forgetting to type words occasionally, I guess he's one of those that don't want a proofreader.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  2. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does he also write "loose" instead of "lose"?

3. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Does he write "lied" instead of "laid"?

4. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or even opposite, lose instead of loose?

5. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Does he write that people breath instead of breathe?

mir likes this.
  6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    No, fortunately he's not that bad. Nor the sense/since, defiantly/definetely, muscle/?????, accentuated not accelerated lol, further not forwarder, opinions not options, aftermath not after math lfmao, dare not dear, tale not tail, pursuit not pre suit, correct not current, duel not dual, shall not shell.
    I found my reviews for Rise of The Immortals which is a pretty good fic but with almost unreadable grammar as you can see.
    Maybe, not enough samples.

He's the only author I've seen that regularly forgets to type a word here and there, also negation so some sentences have the opposite meaning. It's also the most forgiving mistake as I make them too and can imagine it happening if I wrote walls of text regularly.

I talked to some other author long ago about proofreading and again he didn't want it from me or anyone, coz his friend used to do it but he secretly deleted bad romance scenes. Twas a dick move, but the romance was actually bad and now this author doesn't trust anyone to proofread, which is kind of stupid as he could simply compare word counts or text differences on one of those sites.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  7. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the novels I read on Webnovel has a translation with a few missing negations here and there... not an author but still really bad >.<

Jojo775 likes this.