LCD Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by TUSF, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Nighthawlc

Nighthawlc Nyan nyan nyan nyan

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    Did new chapters show after the vol resease?

I hope it did.

3. Kphone89

Kphone89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope Web Novel

4. Nighthawlc

Nighthawlc Nyan nyan nyan nyan

Reading List:
    Link
    Volumes aren't out yet.
    15 comes out December 10, 2021 and 16 comes out January 8, 2022.

5. lekxman22

lekxman22 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WN i think will be stopped untill Author decides to pick it up.
    P.S i am more fan of WN than LN ITS( just my opinion guys )

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  6. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same, in the LN, Shiro was a bit too 'kind' for my taste. Too 'human'.

7. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Absolutely. The story doesn't work if she's too heroic.

8. maoserr

maoserr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I want to switch from LN to WN, where do I start in the web novel from the latest English LN?

aRaion likes this.
  9. PixelWolf

PixelWolf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My personal opinion, the author did effectively rewrite the whole story so starting from scratch is good, but if you're just talking about straight after the demon human war (volume 12) I would presume is what you want, (chapter 273), which is talking about shiraori's perspective on the war, I however would reccomend starting from the momment kumoko evolved into an arachne, as thats where the plot diverges the most from the webnovel to the lightnovel, which starts from chapter 186 arachne, while there are still a number of events thats different from the lightnovel side, I don't think it affects the grand scheme of things, as I've repeated multiple times the WN and LN have very different plots, to the point that it looks like they're written by 2 different authors, but both are good in their own ways.

10. lekxman22

lekxman22 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well If u want to start reading WN u could start from scratch( first chapter) But if u think u know what happend or u dont rly mind miising some parts then u can start When she evolved into arache or Blood 3 or 4 idk its about there.

11. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The story begins to differ fairly early on. Like that dragon egg Kumo finds? Not a thing in the WN. But uh, I think the story starts to diverge a LOT right around the time Alaba is defeated. There's a whole LN only arc following that. If you've kept up with the English releases, you should have read that, I think.

It might be worth just starting from the beginning, though, because Kumoko comes across a bit different in the webnovel. Much more amoral. It helps lay groundwork for her later character, which may seem like it's out of nowhere if you're moving right from the LN.

12. maoserr

maoserr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting, Looks like multiple people are recommending starting from Arachne is where plot diverges. But you're saying the characterization is just completely different from beginning. I guess my question would by would it be different enough that if I start from the Archne chapter I'd be lost? Or just a little dissonant for a while.

I guess I could always go back if I get confused.

13. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot diverges before arachne. It's right after Alaba that things start to change. That arc ends in the arachne evolution, more or less. You'll be lost if you start there. There are also plot holes the LN introduces starting in the LN version of that arc.

14. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason Kumoko comes across as more "amoral" in the web version, I think is because the Light Novel removed some of the "Haha, she's doing something fucked up" kind of humor, such as eating Sophia's limbs while drunk and such. In effect, the LN has her committing less senseless suffering (which only existed in the WN for laughs), but not really making her any more "kind", just making the suffering she inflects more consistent.

15. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Need I remind you that she is plotting genocide?

16. Draconic

Draconic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped reading the LN version after she became a god. Up until then, I could deal with the changes from the WN. That was where it became completely illogical to me.
    In the LN, Shiro is essentially crippled by becoming a god. And she is depressed by how weak she is. And this lasts multiple years. It just doesn't make any sense... She was born as one of the weakest monsters that exist, but she never let it hold her back. And then, after she becomes a god, and she knows she has a lot more power, but cannot use it, she spends years not doing anything? The same amount of time, that it took her to become one of the strongest monsters from the weakest. And D even gave her a guide on how to use her new powers, same as the WN.
    And we are supposed to believe that Sophia respects her after that? In the WN, she earned that respect. In the LN, for example Merazofis has to carry her at one point, because she is too weak to walk.

17. Kphone89

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not trying to protect the LN (seeing as I haven't read it that far yet), but it makes a little sense.
    • When Shiro was a spider (1st incarnation?), she walked on 8-legs with literally no power aside from biting, spinning webs, and reproducing (and those webs were common house spider webs!).
    • After she was reincarnated into the system, she didn't grow up while learning to walk on 2 legs, and all the information that dictated her actions came from D's side of the soul. I can't imagine Shiro's spider soul being very big since she received literally no SP or skills-they mostly came from D's soul (Skanda) and Racial skills (poison bite, thread spinning). As Kumoko, Shiro was pretty much "D's physical body playing a game" with a spider's soul on the side for thought processes, and since Kumoko was doing "Magical Girl", "Solid Snake", and other memes spiders wouldn't really know about, D's personality was bleeding into Shiro. At the Kumoko stage, walking, spinning super webs (monster tier), and whatnot wasn't really an action of Shiro. Furthermore, she didn't have skills as the system was "enacting" skills based on the souls' knowledge through magecraft-keeping it simple, the system recognized she had skills and told her she had them but they weren't part of her physical/spiritual being.
    • After she evolved into a Goddess, she was ejected from the system. I believe the D-portion of Shiro's soul was fully absorbed and integrated as a singular soul but the information became like knowledge from a book, foreign "spider goddess Shiraori." With only regular spider knowledge and a body that likely deals enough damage to destroy the planet by waving her hands around willy-nilly, her inaction was likely to being unsure of how to act and preventative measures against disasters. Without the system support and knowledge from D's soul piece no longer giving support, standing up would require baby-steps (waving limbs, crawling, holding onto things, standing, walking, running).
    Keeping it simple: You've taking Shiro for granted-I'm a spider, so what? She's not a spider monster, not a sliver of a goddess-just a spider. You're expecting a spider to know how to move such a large body? You're expecting a spider to know how to implement magecraft the system handled behind the scenes without the users' knowledge (not counting dimension/abyss magic)?
    I don't know how many years it takes in the LN but if it took less than 3 years, I'd say it is reasonable.

Solracmar and DarkZealot like this.
  18. Draconic

Draconic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would be interested to know what you think of it after you read it. Most of what you said doesn't really apply here. And that being carried part was just one simple example that I used.
    • It's not that Shiro didn't know how to walk with two legs. She was too weak to walk into an inn because she was traveling on a carriage. She was weak, she was sick, and she was depressed.
    • I don't think Shiro was "D's physical body playing a game". She was the soul D used to take her place. Since it would have been strange if one person from the class wasn't reborn, she also reincarnated the soul of a spider, and gave it some of her memories, probably to better fool others. And then watched her for fun. I don't think there ever was much more link between the two than that.
    • See, that's exactly it... "a body that likely deals enough damage to destroy the planet by waving her hands around willy-nilly, her inaction was likely to being unsure of how to act and preventative measures against disasters" No. She was weak. A kid could have beaten her up. Not because she couldn't hold back her strength properly, but because she didn't have any.
    You say, that it's reasonable for Shiro to spend up to 3 years to learn how to control her new body and her new strength, and to relearn using magic. (Which is kinda what happened in the WN, though mostly with magic.) But that's not my point. For more than 2 years, Shiro doesn't even try to learn how to use her power in the LN. She just sits around all depressed. It's not that it's taking her years to relearn everything. It's taking her years before she even starts.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  19. Kphone89

Reading List:
    Link
    With all that said, the weakness and sickness really doesn't make sense. I guess the required rewriting WN-to-LN lead to Shiro having too much time to succeed in saving the world before the other reincarnators and relevant people could stop her-author buying time? If she was unconscious (and adapting to the change-like a rebirth as an egg that hatches after # years), I could see a very poor argument, but you point out she chose not to do anything. This really makes no sense.

I'm not saying D was in control but more of the sliver of D's soul was in control, something like a shadow clone without the sentience. Though Shiro was in control of Kumoko, she would often reflect D's personality. As I pointed out, a classroom spider wouldn't know about anime, novels, games, and memes-these are not part of Shiro's knowledge/personality. This is reinforced by how Ariel significantly changes after assimilating body-in-charge Kumoko. Given the spider lacked any real personality apart from "spider survival" and "crane(spider) owes a debt to sensei", everything Kumoko does that isn't building a nest and wanting to repay sensei is likely a reflection of what would D (want to) do?

20. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kumoko have some similarities in their personalities, but only some. D is far nastier than Kumoko even at her worst. Ever flaw our spider has, D has about three times worse.

Kumoko didn't get whatever compassion and empathy she has from D, nor her interest in food, nor her basic loner streak or laundry list of personality disorders.