Discussion A general poll/ voting in BL novel types

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rubyspecs, Nov 23, 2021.

?

Which among these is your preference for BL novels?

1. Historical/cultivation

2. Modern

3. More fluff and sweet

4. Power couple

5. Angst or up and down in their relationship

6. Tragedy, death of any one lead in the end

7. Happy ending

8. Quick transmigration

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rubyspecs

Rubyspecs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What type of bl novel you prefer in general?

2. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm up for anything so long as it has a Happy ending.

LetheanDragon likes this.
  3. SpeedGirl

SpeedGirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I didn't read any cultivation novels aside from Master of Demonic Cultivator and ERHA.
    I like it when it's happy ending but only if it's logical.
    Sometimes I like to read brain-dead novels with no logic when I'm too emotionally tired and want to relax. But in general I like to have some logic in the novel. And want most of my questions answered in the end of the novel

4. DrunkReader01

DrunkReader01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything,
    but anything that goes with the stereotypical shou and gong mold is a turn-off. I mean I started reading BL with the weak, delicate, looks like a girl shou and strong CEO-type (I can't believe past me actually liked that stuff gross) gong. I liked it 'at the beginning' but after reading so much, it's acceptable if they each (if they're not gonna be switch) have 1 of these characteristics, but all of them together?
    Nuh-uh, blergh
    I can't stand it

5. Zianthus

Zianthus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read anything, but I usually keep off from reading angst though.
    I don't think I've read the one where one of the lead dies.

Rubyspecs likes this.
  6. Rubyspecs

Rubyspecs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So relatable...initially I was okay with such gong should pair as long as plot is good. But I guess I can't stand literally girl like shou who is all cute and lovely uuhhhh with ml being complete contrast of tall and huge with abs or something and overbearing and power vibes. So cliche, why not turn the shou into a cross dressed girl already. That's why now I guess I don't like much of omegaverse or historical novel with no women world where men could get pregnant, ger they call it I guess

DrunkReader01 and LK like this.
  7. SuouNono

SuouNono Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, ger and omegaverse types of novels are scary. Especially since a lot of authors have used this for r*pe and tragic endings for canon fodders. Omegaverse is nice if it's used well, but horrible if it isnt

SpeedGirl, LK and Blood A like this.
  8. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    Interstellar, fantasy, or primitive society building are my favorites.
    Fluffy plot and happy ending are good, but I like a touch of sadness along the way too. Something to balance out the sweetness.
    I like a more balanced power dynamic between the MCs too. Both shou and gong having their own OP points rather than the Shou solely reliant in the Gong. I really like it when they aren't OP at all, just more powerful together. A power couple if you will. And flawed human MLs are definitely my jam. The cold, silent, doting, CEO, type is so boring most of the time.
    Switch is always interesting as well, but usually comes with angsty baggage. I can't say I've ever read a fluffy switch story.

9. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    modern is the easiest to mtl.
    I'm OK with most genres but I want equal partners with decent communication skills, and I hate idiot MC so I don't do well with the Big Bad Wolf/ naive Little Bunny dynamic. I also dislike it when the ML raises the MC, grooming him into an ideal 'little wife.'
    I prefer HE over BE, mostly because I get impatient with angsty stories; too much melodrama makes me roll my eyes and start skipping chapters. and I really dislike mpreg stories so I avoid abo and 3 gender type stories.
    I tend to read stories in a single genre until I burn out and go for something else. at the moment, I'm reading slice of life shop keeper type stories with very little romance at all. give me a month or two and I'll be back to infinite flow or horror or entertainment, etc.

WillVF likes this.
  10. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see that the angst lovers are hiding, but more specifically situational or circumstantial angst instead of a tirade of angst going back and forth, plus if they have character development from the time they're intensely vulnerable mwah. I have standards. (I suggest, "The Need to Propose to Seven Men" or "Don't Pick up Boyfriends from the Trash Bin")
    About the genre, if the setting is interesting then I usually ride it out. Historical and modern are pretty simple, and more often just start and wholly rely on character dynamics. It's fine, but if I've read it once, I'll probably read it again in another novel. The execution of it speaks wonders, like I found an ABO that jumpstarted my love for it ("This Omega is Sweet and Wild"), like I didn't step in a pile of crap where the protagonist has damsel-in-distress shenanigans. I'm okay with both people using it to quickly establish the world or there is some actual world building, but I feel it's a loss when it's just filler that I can skim.
    Power couples are just amazing too. Like, even in hetero series I can get behind a couple that unconditionally adore each other. Not to mention non-human/human relationships, they are the one true pair and one of them is into each other, usually very intensely. And the absolute support they show each other, it's a shame it doesn't often come up in normal settings.
    The one genre I abhor is the child-rearing, cooking series. Not all of them are bad, but I feel like they're pushing some agenda and I feel horribly uncomfortable when MC or ML knowingly gets together with someone they raised. Like. PLEASE. Stop. Get some help. Like if they at least mentioned it, it wouldn't be that bad, but more often than not it's just described as an "attraction".

11. melonsugar

melonsugar Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My life is already bad enough so I don't wanna see any bad endings or angst. If any lead character dies, I would pray that the author will do something so they could be together again. But I also don't like something too sweet and fluffy smooth sailing without any trouble in the journey, it would be so boring

12. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm surprised Quick transmigration is so popular.