Resolved Deleted thread question

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by maoserr, Nov 17, 2021.

1. maoserr

maoserr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi,

Just a quick question, I saw one of my thread got deleted recently and just wanted to know how to find out the reason. I definitely read through all the rules and FAQs and made sure I followed posting guidelines to post in the right forum.

In the FAQ it said I should've been alerted about why it was deleted and some warning points? But not sure where to find it. Also I don't know who deleted it.

If I did something wrong, certainly fine with it being deleted.

Thanks

2. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    What was the thread about?

I've never seen threads deleted if they didn't break forum rules.

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    As a rule of thumb, mods don't delete threads, at most they lock it, so... I doubt your thread was deleted.

It's possible that your thread was merged with an already existing thread that served the same purpose though.

Can't say any more without you telling us what your thread was though.

Westeller likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I can say that you posts weren't deleted, because they're still being counted on your messages... Otherwise they wouldn't be shown there.

I can't say I understand why this happened though, never saw a case like this before.

My best guess is that the mods temporarily made your thread only visible to moderators for some reason... Maybe to double check just to be sure that this links were safe or something.

It's still just a guess though. You'll probably have to wait for a mod reply to get this fixed.

5. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wasn't sure if translators wanted their chapters to get scraped (even if it's for personal use) so I moved the thread to a private forum. I wasn't online to leave a locking message so I just moved it.

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. maoserr

maoserr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh ok. Is it something to do with copyright or ad revenue? Just curious.

What's a private forum? is it like a invite only or mod only forum?

So does this mean any discussion of scraping or storing of html for offline viewing is frowned upon here? If that's the case I won't mention it in the future. Where do we draw the line on this?

7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NUF does not advocate piracy. If a thread or a post includes pirate links or methods for piracy and are reported, actions are taken either to modify or remove the content.

You were discussing a method to take content from a translator's site without their permission. Hence.

8. maoserr

maoserr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. Didn't mean to advocate piracy or did I have any intention of distributing pirated content.

9. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know you might have good intentions what with some people don't have good internet to browse and read online. However the knowledge could be used for piracy. That includes scraping the translator's chapters and posting them on wattpad or similar platforms for "offline reading" to which I don't understand...if you want to have them for offline reading, then private your uploads instead of stealing traffic from the translators.

It's not that hard if you put effort to find out how to do it but NUF does not advocate piracy and to let the thread stays unfortunately will promote them.

Plus it's reported ;)