Discussion You have $10,000,000 and you know a zombie apocalypse will happen in 3 months. What do you do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cutter Masterson, Nov 25, 2021.

1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh unless zombie virus infect half of population on instant, zombie apocalypse is ridiculous~ if the virus too strong mortality will be much higher than zombified more so if virus can survive outside host long enuf~ the medium also important, if it airborne or water medium it can be deadly~ if less deadly well military will go on roll... pew pew pew boom military law enforcement where human right can go to hell~ there also biological aspect such as need of food so unless magic the zombo just die from lack of food~

rant aside
    meh nothing~
    this cat just die

2. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Buy an abandoned gold mine, then turn it into a dungeon! Why a gold mine? Because gold mines have tunnel shafts already cut into the mountains. Which means turning it into a dungeon and filling it with traps is as easy as crapping in public! Of course, the only person who knows the shortcut to get back to the inner sanctum of the entire operation would be Ai-chan alone.

3. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    TBH the housebarge/yacht would need to have something akin to electric turboprops(think submarine propulsion) to be all that useful. That way you can use a fuel generator as a primary power source, but still use something like solar panels to charge the batteries. Speed isnt the issue as long as its powerful enough to navigate the water currents. The primary goal is to use this to travel the Pacific Islands and find an abandoned or uninhabited one to call home. So one way trip with possible short-term expeditions to fish and or scaveng for supplies.

Food and supplies wouldnt be almost simpler to find. A years worth of dehydrated soup from Costco, maybe some canned food for verity. Who needs toilet paper when you have the worlds largest bidet, or if less eco friendly a few cases of wipes will last a long frigging time. Cargo hold holds a few tons of supplies. As its only going to be me, or at most one other person, the ammout required for food and personal supplies is relatively small. The rest could be used for weapons and the equipment for setting up your island base and replacement parts. Food stuff can be supplemented by fishing and or scavenging along the way. Water can easily be collected via rain(if safe) and or distilled from sea water.

Tbh most yachts are not designed trans-oceanic travel. This is not to say they cant, only that those that they are designed in a way that they are ment to survive months on the open water. Not that it will need that long, it only takes a few weeks to travel from the states to the Hawaiian islands, and from there much less time is needed to get to the smaller Pacific Islands.

4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    idealistically I'll build a base in a relatively uninhabited and fertile area and plant crops and sustain myself and survive

but realistically I'll just die

5. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll just build a bunker and hoard necessities. The problem is that the people who built the bunker for me would know about its location.

Bad idea, money is most likely going to be useless for a while until things calm down. Why should they listen to you once the apocalypse starts?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Cutter Masterson likes this.
  6. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah. I didn't think of buying a cargo ship. Well, a smallish one. Plenty of storage space, more if one includes filled storage containers, and plenty of surface space for solar panels or whatnot. And they can take some abuse from storms so you can sit out farther at sea to avoid opportunists with small boats. Still, don't those things need several people to operate and maintain?

Now that I'm speaking about being out at sea, what about buying one of those abandoned oil rig platforms.

In either case, I think both will probably be way pricier than the 10 million given in this example.

7. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    With the way the economy is atm, you might be able to pick up a slightly used small cargo barge for relatively cheap. Iirc they have fairly small crews(between 5 and 10) and can be operated with fewer in a pinch. TBH more crew means more hands to be on watch, so the ship can operated 24/7 while at sea. It also allows crew to specialize in different fields(mechanic, navigation, purser, ect). If your just using the barge as a one way ticket to elsewhere and base camp once you get there, then you could technically run it all by yourself, with the caveat of you being able to fix anything that breaks.

As for decommissioned oilrigs.... i would avoid those. Sure there is always a chance to siphon some crude oil or natural gas, but honestly they are mostly eco-disasters left to rot because they were no longer profitable and tearing them down cost more then ignoring.

8. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant just the base platform the oil rigs used to be on. I think the oil companies dismantle and take back the oil rig itself for reuse, but leave the platform in place.

9. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I could probably run a cargo ship by myself. I am certified sailor for the USA (Merchant Mariner). For how long. Maybe 2 to 3 days of traveling. If I dock and rest. Tag on an additional month or two. If I had a crew of 1 or 2 more people. I can extend my travel time to months. Even years.
    Keep in mind these cargo ship hulls can be 20+ meters up of shear metal skin. It’s like a moving castle. The only way to get aboard is by scaling up the side of a constant moving ship. Not easy. Even in the best of times. With that being said. It’s not impossible.

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I will just develop a cure

11. sixnein

sixnein Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look just invite me and we will shack up

12. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Weed, Guns, Hookers gotta try living like a loaded gangster for a week then move to Greenland purchase an already existing bunker far from society with supplies that can last decades and a good number of capable people.

13. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh hoho~

Sounds like a plan

14. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Will these aggressive biting people have any abilities, hypothetically speaking, of course. I want to see my odds of survival.

15. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Now this isn’t me, but from what I hear (saw on YouTube). It happen so fast most didn’t realize what was happening until it was too late. If I were you. And hear a bunch of police and emergency vehicles sirens driving somewhere. I’d recommend getting away. Especially, on the date I mentioned. Just saying. It probably a good idea to go on a vacation away from everyone during that time. Not like a Zombie Apocalypse would ever happen

16. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    as a wise man once said, "... buncha hookers and cocaine. *grin*"

:blob_sunglasses::blob_sunglasses::blob_sunglasses::blob_sunglasses:

17. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fund a group of nihilists to make h2so4 acid rain all over the world...

Better cull the numbers before the purge begins am I right? Muahahahahahahaha

IceLight303 and Cutter Masterson like this.
  18. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Course, zombie apocalypse would never happen. :blobsweat_2:
    But now that you mention it going on vacation to a deserted island during that time sounds like a good idea. Nothing to do with this thread of course. :sweating_profusely:

19. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. Yeah that’s right. Nothing to worry about. (As I refuse to make eye contact and sweating).

IceLight303 likes this.
  20. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't I get a cheat like a self-sustaining space where you grow crops in one day? Or a system that lets you build an indestructible shelter with points by killing zombies. Or a superpower that lets you survive. I'm just an out-of-shape woman, even if I get a fortress and supplies, the next tough guy with a gun who comes over will take it from me... And 10 mil is far from enough to get fully prepared. Thinking further, if you live in a less populated place, your main worry isn't the zombies but the people who'll eventually run your way. And if you live surrounded by zombies, your worry isn't people breaking into your house, but a possible nuclear bomb meant to obliterate the whole zombie-infested city. Well, or zombies eventually breaching your walls. The solution isn't hiding away somewhere and eating your stash or growing food - that can be either destroyed by a zombie wave, or stolen by others. The solution is either kill all the zombies or find a cure that'll put an end to the apocalypse. So, me living in Europe, it's pretty difficult getting hot weapons. 10 mil might let you buy from the mafia, but again, they'd rather threaten a nobody like me and get the money regardless, why would they do business with me. So, I guess, I'll travel to the states, rent a rancho, buy all the guns I need and stock up on food, clothes, gas, and a few off-road vehicles. And then it's kill on sight. Might be a good idea to build a bunker underneath in case of a zombie wave. Still worried that 10 mil might not suffice.