Discussion A very long novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by melonsugar, Dec 3, 2021.

1. melonsugar

melonsugar Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My limit is about 150 chaps, if it is 200+ then I won't be able to finish it, I might have to read the spoilers instead.
    Some novels are just like Conan and pokemon, an endless journey. the protagonist gets new skills/items, clear quests/problems/bosses, meet new characters/teammates or whatever. some novels added too many extra sweet fluff monotonous scenes, I don't even have any clues how the author would end the story. I get bored easily, I can't stay focused and my memories are not that good.
    So how about you guys, what is your chapter limit and what is the longest novel you've ever read?
    feel free to discuss !!

2. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Depend on the story rather than the chapter count. If it is interesting, i can hold until 1000+ chap. If not, i'll drop it in less than 100.
    Though 1000+ existing chapter helps in discouraging me to start reading a series

3. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Longest I've read is 2300+ of Reverend Insanity. I can go on for about 100-200 chaps in a sitting if I find it good.

4. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I can read something forever as long as it never ends. If it has an end though, I'll never finish it.

TheBlueLaundryBag likes this.
  5. TheBlueLaundryBag

TheBlueLaundryBag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. I start dreading the end and end up dropping the book.

6. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    the longest I've read is probably quanzhigaoshou bit I dropped it in the middle
    second would be overgeared but I stopped around 1k
    3rd would be ORV, which I completed.
    I can have a fairly long attention span as long as the story is interesting enough for me to binge.

7. LevelTryHard

LevelTryHard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this literally 100-200 chapters or pages?

Can't relate if I prefer to read finished novels so I can see reviews and just know they're will be an ending

8. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    Cultivation novels are almost endless. But I've read those already completely translated. Umm...there's chapters are at 2000+...Well, Black bellied doctor has 3000+

The novel, the national school prince is a girl have 1700+ chapter. And the other one...boss Lan's novel is also 1500+

I preferred this kind of lengthy novels before. But for cultivation novels, it's a nono...cultivation novels is almost the same in every arc, they just replaced the character name, but it was basically the same.

But if it's really a good novel, I don't mind reading, even if it has 3000+ chapter.

I tried Emperor's Domination before. That one already has 4000+ chapter translated and it was still on going...but I only manage to read up to 500+. The adventure is great, and the mc is Op. The plot is okay, but the harem troupe made me give it up. hahaha.

But really, what I realized-- as I read more and more web novels, those novels with 100+, the quality of their plot is greater then those with 1000+ novels.

9. armad224

armad224 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends , some novels have very short chapters while the chapter count is very high like " RELEASE THAT WITCH "1k words per chapter or less
    while others have extremely long chapters but very few chapters in the story like "
    Her Royal Highness Seems to be Angry " some chapters are 25k words

10. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of the mysteries has like 1.3k chapters, it's literally top tier, and so good. It's one of the most famous both here and on chinese website.
    If it's good quality, more chapter = better for me.
    But i dropped 99% of what i read

11. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the novels I read are ongoing and here is the problem. There are a lot of novels I don't finish because of this. Some novels update to slowly and i forgot the story or the novel completely, some of them changed the genre midway to something I don't like and some became just boring, because author uses the same template over and over and over and over again and some are so mediocre, that the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
    From this experience I learned, that I don't have to complete a story. Just enjoy it as long as it is enjoyable for you. The number of chapters shouldn't matter.

THE JOURNEY IS THE DESTINATION!

Of course a large number of chapters could be an indicator of low quality content, because the author tries to input nonsense and fillers to prolong his story. I just watch out for that, I'm especially wary of novels with 2k+ chapters, but besides that I usually dive in, as long as it sounds interesting.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  12. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's a weakness of web novels that you see the full chapter count when most novels above a certain chapter count are composed of multiple books. Think of it like this: The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan has 14 books and a total of over 4 million words. If it was in web novel format and you just looked at the number of chapters (and length of each chapter) it would be a little more intimidating, right?

I've only seen one or two authors actually end a web novel and write a direct sequel with the same main character. It keeps the chapter length down, making it less intimidating to read, but also weakens the "popularity" of the novel since the views, reviews, and ratings are spread out between the various books in the series.

Personally I've completed a few webnovels ~1k-1.5k chapters, and am currently reading a Japanese webnovel that's ongoing at 2.3k chapters. Anything over a certain length is really composed of several books in a series, not a single novel. If I think of it that way I don't mind reading longer web novels.

13. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Chaps

14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally don't read anything with 4+ digits worth of chapters. I just immediately assume that there is lots of filler in it and that it's not worth my time.
    I mean... It's not like I would be willing to read stuff like Wheel Of Time either. It's too big for my taste.

I have a hard time being willing to read published novels with more than 3 volumes. I have read novels with more than 3 volumes, but... Well, not many. I just don't see myself liking it much when one book for beginning, one for middle, one for end feel like enough.

So... Well, I have a standard for published stuff too, it's just different from my webnovel standard.

Fluffums likes this.
  15. WillVF

WillVF Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve never read anything 1000+. The longest I think was LMSW another is Banished to Another World. I really enjoyed both novels and honestly I think I will read it even if it continued on to 4 digits. Sadly there aren’t many long BL novels that are completely translated. IHM and RSCB are good too.

16. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Longest I've gone is like 1500 (and it's ongoing!)

I don't really have a limit as long as the plot's still good even after 1k chaps