Discussion KR Webtoons>Kr Novels

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Overclock, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to say every manga/comic adaptation is better, but is anyone else here noticing that recently a lot of Korean comics are better than their novel counterparts?

A prime example is Seoul Station Druid. In the novel most fights suffer from a lack of description or effort by the author. Essentially most fights in the novel have the mc day he just killed a monster or cleared a dungeon without showing how. The Webtoon on the other hand actually shows the fights and struggles of the mc.

2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of those novels are quite formulaic, with them having one-dimensional Mc's and characters, weak world building and lacking much details. Plus so much of the chapters is taken by filler such as massive walls of game systems and stats. The webtoons help convey characters emotions to the reader. Good art and well done action scenes help keep readers interested and they also have more comedic bits added to give a breather from the flow.

Paps, AliceShiki and Overclock like this.
  3. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally dislike webtoons because there's too much blank space -> you have to scroll too much (ducking annoying on both PC and smartphone) or the webtoon is horribly cut in pages. I only read a few kr webtoons and they weren't "better" or anything in my opinion.

Paps and Overclock like this.
  4. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Art > Story
    Some of those Korean webtoons have really good art. Like REALLY good art. That's what makes them so good.

Paps, TXHY and Overclock like this.
  5. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the webtoons more than the novels in some aspect. Since it gives a better perspective on what the characters look like.
    I enjoyed Solo leveling novel. And I like it more recently since Im seeing the glorious fights.

But i still hate the chinese webtoons.

sweed and Overclock like this.
  6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most just suck so bad that getting decent art is enough to be considered good. The only one that I actually consider a good novel getting a better manwha is red storm. The manwha actually fixed many plotholes from the novel version while giving it amazing art and choreography compared to the manwha you see today full of WOW MANY PRETTY COLORS MY CHILDISH BRAIN IS ENTERTAINED and you can't even understand what the fuck is happening with the amount of flashy lights on the screen.

TXHY and Overclock like this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I can definitely say that I'm a lot more interested in webtoon adaptations over actual Korean novels~

I dunno, I generally just like them more, I guess? I didn't try too many of the novels, but the ones I did try felt extremely boring real quick and I ended up dropping in no time... While the webtoons kept me hooked the whole time and I kept on wanting to see more and more.

Maybe it's the pacing, or how seeing the character expressions changes things, or maybe the style that Korean authors tend to use isn't much my thing... Or maybe I was just unlucky in the webnovels I did try reading... Either way, I definitely love reading the webtoons and have no intentions of going to check the original novels~

And yes, gorgeous art is a huge plus for me~