Discussion Do you like spending time on social media?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 202210, Dec 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Deleted member 202210

Deleted member 202210 Guest

Reading List:
    Link

If yes, how often do you do that?

This very platform is a social media too but I think since everyone is anonymous in some sense, it is not like the other platforms out there where people post photos or videos about themselves, where everyone who knows them personally could see it. I don't think that is the same with NUF.

Admittedly, when I was still getting used to it (facebook, instagram, etc) I was spending almost all of free time using it. Trying to look good, accumulate more friends and followers, be constantly active... But since I easily get bored, it didn't last that long. I even abandoned that account with too many strangers popping out every now and then. Now, I am using an account on which I am very selective about who to add and accept.

I preferred spending my free time in either reading novels, writing or watching shows on a rotating basis since again, I get bored easily. And I am an introvert so anything social drains me so that's how it was.

It was not until one of my friends who had deactivated their account said to me that if they use social media platforms, they get depressed a lot. Everything was annoying. He said that everyone just wanted to look good or establish some kind of good reputation and he didn't understand the purpose of it all.
    Since I only used social media as a form of communication, (I rarely post too) I didn't think of it that way at all.

So, now most of the people I talk to says the same thing. Someone who was pursuing their masters said that they deleted all the apps on their phone because they thought they were a waste of time. Another also said that they don't use it too much because when they see posts about people being happy and satisfied with their lives, they could not help but feel envious and they end up comparing their lives with others.

What do you think of social media?

I don't know if there is already a thread about it here so apologies in advance. Also, thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2021
  2. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been close to 10 years since I deactivated my Facebook account. :blobpeek: Funnily enough, it was the only way people could contact meback then since I refused to carry a phone at that time. :hmm:

Nia2760, imK, Meap and 6 others like this.
  3. Deleted member 202210

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard that most people who chose to leave their social media accounts behind didn't regret their decision... Did you ever feel like wanting to go back?

4. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    I have most social media but I rarely open them. Facebook maybe since I handle my company fb account. Insta, rarely.. Twitter, rarely as well..

But Youtube.. I coud watch youtube for hours non stop

seemanta, Steamc, mir and 5 others like this.
  5. sudokun

sudokun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Must be weird to say as someone in their 20s but I'm quite often on facebook, mainly for online game group that I'm following.

6. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I only use messenger to speak with friends and now I have facebook too. All I use it for is to get info on my study group and give and receive recs in a music group.

7. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    I still use facebook but i rarely post or open nowadays. If anyone who knows me then they should know my cell# or just message me in messenger.

I am not as active as I was about 10 years ago tbh. I open just for gaming pages and nothing about irl people.

imK and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a facebook and a twitter accounts, I don't use them much except once or some couple times per month, I check them from some time to time to chat with some relatives and acquaintances, but I am usually (when online) either reading or watching or doing some other stuff somewhere else, like youtube, reddit, etc...

9. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't use any of the popular social media, but I do use messenger platforms to communicate with my mates online as well as commenting on YouTube. And basically this forum where I shitpost on a regular basis just act actively, and that's basically it. I don't really understand the appeal social media. But then again, there's much I just don't understand about how humans act and why they do so (though sometimes I suspect they also don't understand most of what they do).

mir, imK, ilLUMIAnated and 1 other person like this.
  10. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting video, but it’s a phenomenon that has existed even before the internet. It’s a human trait. To want to make ones life easier. The news paper probably started as leaflets to call the public’s attention to growing concern. Than found a place in society. After sometime realize the need to fund it’s existence. Than adds for products and services became available. Media grows like most things. It’s ever changing and ever improving. What was a dense small print article. Became multiple fonts and design to draw the eye.
    The video pretty much gave a name to our interactions with people. Fads, trends, comparison and etc. have always existed. Maybe by other names, but all to human. When trying to figure out our own feelings. We find comfort in knowing. That theirs a common repetitive action. That can now be classified and understood.
    Personally, I don’t believe social media is the end of the world. Social media is only a tool. How you interact with it is the deciding factor. People need to have more accountability for their own actions. We are rationale thinking beings. If you can’t pull back. You’ll starve. Pretty simple.
    I do like the message of not comparing yourself to others, but to yourself. I believe this thought process works on many levels. For an example. A relationship built on a partner being on a pedestal. Instead of oneself is a recipe for disaster.
    Than again NovelUpdate is a reading site. It’s not a jump from hot topic to hot topic sort of media. It’s a long term constant reading kind. So it’s not quite the same as tick tock and other forums.
    I enjoy the article/ video it was interesting. Thanks for sharing

Steamc, mir, imK and 3 others like this.
  11. ilLUMIAnated

ilLUMIAnated Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Instagram is the only place I lurk to keep in touch with some of my friends, but Facebook, Twitter and the like I've been away from for a long time. YouTube though, yeah I probably need to seek some help on that LMAO.
    My reason for not posting on insta or commenting on YouTube is probably the same reason as why I left Facebook or Twitter- I find myself to be something like a bad practical joke. The more I present myself out on the interwebs the more I find myself to be, utterly crass. Sure, I can be pretty high strung on evaluating things that I like properly, a good game, for example. But, unfortunately, that falls apart when I look at myself. So, I choose to avert my eyes rather than dragging myself through the mud, all by myself.

Steamc, imK and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Professional_lurker

Professional_lurker [Pro gacha gamer]

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have accounts on a few social media platforms, but honestly I don't really use them much. I stopped using Facebook long ago. I check my Instagram sometimes to check out on my friends, but not as much as I used to. As for Twitter... I do check it every now and then, but I honestly use it more as a news app rather than for socializing, since my friends don't use it. Rn, other then WhatsApp, which is my primary messaging app, I don't use social media much. I just keep them, to check on my firends every now and then.

Deleted member 202210 likes this.
  13. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only use Fb for playing games. Nvr open Fb to connect with world.

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    well said @Cutter Masterson social media just a tool, it all back how you use it~

you know back then this cat parents told this cat and this cat siblings was crazy laughing or smile when look at phone or pc or laptop~ now tho they also similar~ there different tho~ this cat mom like to watching whatever drama on fb (most is cdrama clip), gossiping exchange info with her friend, read novel~ daddy just watch random stuff~ they both rarely post something.... wait maybe that family trait~

hmm some people maybe need to learn restraint tho~ fame, monetarily insensitive (social media celebrity), distraction, communication~
    what this cat think is kinda bad is people lack of thinking that just spite whatever with no cares, forwarding thing without bother hmmm basically like a children~ if it deliberate act then well propaganda have found their best medium~

back to watching cat

mir, imK, Cutter Masterson and 2 others like this.
  15. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, I don't see any point, otherwise I wouldn't have quitted in the first place.

I raise your sand cat video with deadliest cat.

mir, imK and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Little Evil

Little Evil Hello o/

Reading List:
    Link
    I only have Twitter to follow one artist so I can download his pics every day \o/

No other social media.

17. Deleted member 202210

Reading List:
    Link

Thank you for the comments!
    I felt like it turned out to be some kind of survey for a research project. Lol.
    The only social media acc I always use is Facebook I guess since most of the people I know use it. I mainly use it for messaging purposes but sometimes I do spend time on their posts just to check up on them.

I personally think that the people's lack of reflection on things led this problem to be more serious. Even if it's a mere tool, the more people neglect its effect in their lives, the more dangerous this tool becomes. Just like any other things. If misused and abused, it becomes an inevitable disaster, probably not enough to end the world Lol but big enough to not be ignored.

18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Blocking people on Twitter, namely those who are for forced diversity, is a hobby of mine!

19. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the algorithms they use are slightly faulty in a way that has been making a lot of social media services useless to me. I much prefer to have direct control over what I see, so I spend most of my time on NUF, discord, or some other old internet style site. Youtube does alright though, since I can watch a lot of math videos at my level thanks to their algorithm.

mir, imK and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I only started posting on Instagram recently so I can't really say much about the experience, but it does make me click open the app a lot more than back when I didn't post... that might get really annoying eventually but we'll see! :cookie: