Discussion FFIVX is bad, prove me wrong

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Jojo775, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a simple guy, I like RPG's, I don't mind grinding. That said, last year I tried FFIVX which is supposed to be the best MMORPG for several years now... and found it utterly boring and bad.
    Basically it was oh you cannot do anything fun at lower levels...mkay...you have to reach level 60 for things to get interesting. LOL
    I grinded and grinded to get to level 13 I think before giving up. Grinding was not fun in the slightest, glue yourself to the enemy and just spam, sometimes you flash something and that's it.
    Group fight? There goes epilepsy, I can't tell what's going on, just flashy flashes of light everywhere.
    Also I tried the free version which didn't let you even send friend requests lol.

The only thing good about it is the cinematics, I have watched that half an hour trailer several times.

2. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm first time playing an MMORPG? They're all like that.
    I recommend just playing at your own pace and exploring the world. Some of them have really expansive lore and by doing the quests you can get to know the world around you. If you don't like that then don't bother with any MMORPGs. They make you grind to max level to get to the 'fun' content.

AMissingLinguist and Jojo775 like this.
  3. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Level 13 lol, so much for grinding cause it sounds like you spent about 2 hours after character creation. Coming from someone who has spent prob hundreds of hours into the game.

Pretty sure you can do palace of the dead as a free trial account too* unlocks at level 17 (prob the hardest achievement to do) a 200 floor dungeon that makes you start from floor one when you die.

I don't plan to prove you wrong becuase if you don't like the game then don't play it. Forcing yourself to play a game you don't like sucks.

Honestly if you don't have a group a friends to play a mmo I wouldn't touch it. Or at least be willing to find a community to play with.

I like raiding in game, i like fashion hunting in game, golden suacer is a awesome time waster, triple triad is fun to see as a fan of FF8, there is a lot of content but I don't know what you are looking for. PvP is fun for me too. The only real compaint is that I have wasted so much time into the game it hurts. The story is good for a MMO (i really like it).

So what are you looking for in a MMORPG?

AMissingLinguist and ongoingwhy like this.
  4. Csabka95

Csabka95 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can turn down other players spells in the menu

5. animanaicT

Reading List:
    Link
    If you aren't interested in the story at all then the game will feel super bad, the main story quests gives you all the exp you need to level your class. But if you just skip all the cut scenes and don't care the quests are pretty shitty. Go here, kill this, get this till level 15, do dungeon, go here, kill this, fetch this, level 20 do trial, go here, kill this rinse repeat till level 50. Its not like the game revolutionized quests so there is a lot of traveling from point a to point b.

6. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    True I didn't play WoW or any other, well besides Star Trek Online which isn't very good but even that is way better than this.
    I think it took 10-12 hours so not like I gave up immediately.
    Hmm well I did a lot of side quests...I liked the story actually.

7. animanaicT

Reading List:
    Link
    The hours was a joke,

If you liked the story then just continue playing the story, I would rush the main story quests because once you unlocked flying at level 50 then side quests become much easier (less painful to complete). If you ever really decide to do them. The main story quests MSQ will make will hit level 60 before you even start heavenward. (If you stick to one class)

Realistically it will take about 50 hours to reach the endgame of ARR (a realm reborn) rushing MSQ starting from scratch. Some people could prob do it in 45 some will prob take 60.

Most people complain about being level locked into old content. When you do a level 14 dungeon your character reverts back to that general power level and skills reflect that. That option can be turned off but most people leave it on. So you will be doing level 50 content and be reverted back to those skills and item level even though you will be higher level when doing endgame content. There are two endgames to play with the free trail the level 50 and level 60 content becuase you get to play the first expansion with the free trial. (I personally think its a awesome idea that helps populate the lower leveled content)

Random info about quests....

Side quests (the regular question marks) often fleshes out the stories of characters in the region, gives you a pet, mount, or emotes. Generally skippable (i still haven't done all of them)

Feature Quests (the blue question marks) are quests that unlocks features of the game for example, unlocking hunts, grand companies, side dungeons, beast tribes(dailies), other classes etc.

Main Scenario Quests (MSQ) are quests that are needed to do to progress the story, are overloaded with exp.

Levequests are special repeatable quests that require leve allowances to accept. Generally these are just to farm exp for your classes if needed.

Also you also haven't unlocked golden saucer which unlocks at level 15, if you played ff7 the theme is pretry much the same, its a pseudo amusement park with a bunch of minigames.

If you do decide to play the game again don't ever feel like you need to grind. You might need to grind for gear if you decide to do harder content, but if the game is becoming boring or a chore take a break or don't play the game. The game isnt going to disappear and since you are on the free trial there is no negative to doing this.

Jojo775 likes this.
  8. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ngl I felt the same way. Couldn't get past the awful starting levels. And don't tell me all mmos are the same, there's some that are fun from the get go. The problem is the starting areas and content generally suck and you lacking most of your abilities suck and most of the abilites you unlocked having global cooldowns suck. The pacing is just fucked till you reach at least lvl 20 and maybe can do some group content that's not just the open world events that are a worse version of gw2s' dynamic events.

A friend of mine got so sucked into it though that he has now over 2k hours in it and he started under a year ago and maxed out all his classes and professions before the expansion hit. Dude found his game and I'm happy for him, but I can't stand it enough to get to what people are calling the "fun part".

Overall, not the type of game for me, awful pacing at the start, but as you come across more recent content rather than the initial ones, you'll apparently have more fun. Then again you can say that about most mmos : their starting content sucked if they're any old because game design has evolved a ton over the years, and recent content is generally their best. Aside from dying games like WoW. It's amazing that WoW is finally dying, mostly from stuffing itself to death.

Jojo775 likes this.
  9. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    ...why are you grinding? You can get to level 13 within 15 minutes if you do quests. I levelled my alt to level 50 within 5-6 hours of actual playtime just by questing and dungeons. The part that takes the longest are the cutscenes, which you can skip if you're not the type to watch them. Also, Road to 70 is free exp.

10. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought you needed to get stronk like in regular RPG. Too late now, even if I could level up faster I find combat boring.

11. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Why? Because you're only spamming a few skills? Most of the main job skills are locked behind level 50-70 job quests. The combat only picks up in Heavensward. The pace is much faster later on.

12. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it was a year ago, it's a waste of time, it's not interesting, at least Star Trek space combat grinding was fun, even if I reached max level, I've seen what combat looks like, you can't tell what the fuck is going on, just flashy fireworks.

13. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I am just confused. I always hear about people complaining that the FFXIV combat is slow and boring. Then, when end-game combat is mentioned, they tell you they don't get what's going on. It just sounds just like they're looking for whatever excuse to dislike the game.

14. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would I be looking for an excuse? I loved ff7 and 12, I wanted the taste of that in mmo and was disappointed, it's simply a bad game.

15. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    You said it was a grindfest but you were the one who decided to grind instead of questing and doing dungeons. You said the combat was boring but you can't explain yourself. You said you don't know what's going on in end-game combat, but what exactly are you expecting? You know practically nothing about the game. It's like someone turning up at a sports match out of the blue and then saying the sport sucks because they don't know what's going on. Flashy effects? Just turn off the battle effects, most people do that.

If you don't like a game, it's fine but it's irritating when you make it sound as if you're being objective when you're not.

16. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I can explain perfectly, combat is boring and it sucks no matter the level. It doesn't matter that I don't know high level skills, visually you can't tell wtf is going on even if you did know all skills.
    I've never played an RPG this bad...

17. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it strange that people need to seek validation to dislike something but okay.

18. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just proving it to you, I didn't need validation.
    Again it's been a year...I didn't watch top reviews on ffivx, just searched for ffivx sucks review and this one is pretty much true.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  19. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Prove what? I can post videos that are positive about FFXIV too.

20. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    You can but they are lies, it's fine if you like the game, you just have bad taste.