I will have my vengeance...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, Dec 7, 2021.

1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, rather than vengeance I just want someone to stop annoying me. There's some lady in the local area who is using my phone number to sign up for things, such as at best buy and apparently debt collectors. I have her name, and a general idea of her location, so I plan to do a bit of sleuthing later to find her actual phone number, and use it to sign up for a bunch of random things if they don't agree to stop using my number.

I don't think there is anything illegal with this as long as I don't cause actual damages to her, so I'm just running things by you guys to hear if there are any issues with this plan or perhaps better ideas to get this individual off my phone number permanently.

Bl Hoe and SquadCammander354 like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Just call her number, with your number showing up on her screen. 'Hey, recognize this number? Want to explain what you've been doing and why.' and record it, so you potentially get proof that she has been doing what you say. :blobcheeky:

3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    My mind's conjuring up the image of gangsters with cigarettes and guns knocking menacingly at people's doors now :blobfearful:

4. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Even with proof, there's no legal action you can take for this sort of thing. She hasn't caused any damage, so I can't sue. On the same principle, as long as I only cause her an annoyance in retaliation, she can't sue me.

5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Just put a horse head in her bed, to send a message.
    [​IMG]
    Horse head pillow. :blobpats:

6. Deleted member 202210

Deleted member 202210 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I recall a similar incident when somebody used a guy's phone number in a poster that sells goats. That was hilarious but yeah, it would be annoying if i were in the situation.

While doing the same things for to her would be interesting, why not report her to the authorities? I mean, we never know if the vengeance might backfire.

7. Schwarze_Kreuz

Schwarze_Kreuz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It sucks that this really isn't an issue you can take legal action (yet) over, but there is something you can try. Try to find a notary who is willing to produce notarized affidavits. Call the non-emergency police line in your area and make your complaint, with the notary there to witness the response from the line. Ask for advice on what to do, and if there is possible action, pursue it. I'd also call the bitch stealing your number, with the notary also listening in, asking her to stop, and that if she refuses, she will face retaliation (that obviously does not go beyond the scope of the law).

I just had a nasty thought. If I were you, I'd take revenge by finding out who sells fertilizer/manure in the area and ship it to the perp as a "gift."

Baldingere and tekinwillie like this.
  8. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    First off, how did your number get stolen?
    Second, have you redirect the debt collectors?
    Third, have you tried to TP her house?

The police or whatever has this scale of urgency. Someone impersonating you for cheap deals and low debts is very low on their priority list and they tend to ignore cases like @UnGrave while cursing at the victim's impotence and need to contact them for such trivial problem.

9. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont be a dickhead. Just gather proof of her essentially stealing your identity and give it to the cops.

tekinwillie likes this.
  10. Scyphoza

Scyphoza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here is some info on phone spoofing depending on whats being done with your number especially since you mentioned debt collection it may fall under this.
    Also contact the FCC and report that person they are the agency that deals with robo callers and phone spoofers. Heres the FCC link
    https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/115002234203-Unwanted-Calls-Phone-

Is Phone Spoofing Legal?
    According to the United States Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009, spoofing a phone number is allowed unless the person is: “knowingly transmitting misleading or inaccurate caller identification information with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value….” The penalty for violating this act is $10,000. So, as long as there’s evidence proving the spoof caller violated this act, their actions are considered illegal.

11. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean I would go to police with that it doesn't sound legal at all. But if you want an alternative you can always stab her.

Baldingere likes this.
  12. MinUp

MinUp Maidenless, yet Homiefull

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you want to be an ahole, you could always do this one thing I found somewhere in the internet where a guy posted a bunch of flyers with a something like "Send your best squidward impression for a chance to win 100$ to this number: *insert number*" as a caption, pretty sure this is punishable by law tho so I don't recommend it.

13. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it? I'm no way familar with Canadian law but doesn't that fall under impersonation to some degree? You could try yo use that and contact her

14. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not really impersonation since they're doing it under their own name.

Vanidor likes this.
  15. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    the part about debt collectors sound dangerous, maybe you should report her

Vanidor likes this.
  16. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, basically she's doing something like giving out a number with 1 digit different, the same way people give out fake numbers at bars but no other fake information?

Did debt collectors phone multiple times, or did they accept your explanation on the first time?

Maybe you've already read it, or know all the below, but I figured it couldn't hurt to link: check #11 on:
    https://www.creditcanada.com/blog/what-can-debt-collection-agencies-actually-do-in-canada

I think these days you can get 1 free yearly online check from Equifax. TransUnion Canada I think will let you do 1 free monthly online check. It's worth checking both since they can have differences. If TransUnion doesn't do 1 free monthly, then staggering the checks months apart might be a good idea.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like grounds for an emotional distress claim to me. I mean, just look. You're having some strange psychotic break on the forums here. Do you want us to testify in civil court?

Baldingere and UnGrave like this.
  18. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    Contact a lawyer specializing in resolving this problem, ask them for advice. Maybe you can sue her and get a small compensation. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

You can also give her real phone number to the debt collectors, leave the vengeance work to them.

p/s: I don't know about Canada's Law, but my advice is: Don't do anything you don't know if they're legit or not. You may get sued.