Discussion Would you switch your diet for your SO

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Silver Snake, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    Let it be known that I am not the romantic sort and have never been asked this by a significant other specifically, but by nosy bystanders who should know how to mind their own fucking business.

In my mind, I could do it if I wanted to, if I had a good enough reason.

But then the thought came to me, isn't it selfish to ask for someone else to change for you or you won't like them as much/anymore?. Isn't the entire idea of being with someone that you already like them? It's confusing and unfair and on that principle I wouldn't do it.

But then I thought about how much they would care about it, how much it would sadden an imaginary SO if I were to consume meat in their vicinity. And I somewhat changed my mind.

But also, there's gotta be a fucking line, like I'm not volunteering at a homeless shelter 4+ hours a day, or going to clean up the neighborhood every weekend (Well maybe if it were a particularly dirty neighborhood - but that's not the point!).

How much do you care about it if you are vegetarian or vegan or whatever?

Would you go vegetarian or vegan or whatever?

2. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I don't see any reason why a SO would require or need such thing from their SO, so I guess it depends on the said couple here and what kind of relationship they actually have here XD

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2021
    Jojo775 and otaku31 like this.
  3. Grey_Angel

Grey_Angel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No.

Agentt, Jojo775 and otaku31 like this.
  4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I can go vegetarian for a couple of meals but never vegan.
    I love meat and animal products.

Jojo775 and otaku31 like this.
  5. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Veganism is a mental illness.

6. no168_92

no168_92 BrokenDoor|NeedsFixing|LackingFunds|DonorsWelcomed

Reading List:
    Link
    Compromise is key to a healthy relationship. Besides communication ofc.

If it's due to health issue, I'll support them, but say that I'll still eat meat when I'm not with them upfront instead of doing it regardless behind their back...

If it's due to morality of animal cruelty, I'll say eat what you are willing to kill yourself, like most pescatarian would.

If it's due to wokeness, then you seriously need to have a sit down and talk... Following trends just because is unhealthy IMO.

7. superdelicate

superdelicate cat facing down

Reading List:
    Link
    I can avoid eating meat when I have meals with them, but if they ask me to become a complete vegetarian/ vegan... I'd rather break up.

Even if someone pays me a million dollars I don't think I can become a vegan. Steak, sushi, crab, lobster, ice cream, cake, honey, cheese... honestly there's no point in my life if I can't enjoy all these delicious kinds of food

baka8roukanako likes this.
  8. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This topic reminded me of a classic video.

9. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    No. I don’t mind eating vegan meals with them but I can’t completely go vegan . I just love meat so much.

10. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    No... but if my SO cooks, I'll eat those meals with no meat/animal products! :cookie:

If I'm cooking... I can't really give up my eggs, sorry SO. It's like the only dish I know :blobjoy:

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm selfish, so no.
    But I cook veggies mostly.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I'd be fine with it, like... I dunno, my diet was fairly restricted since I was young because my brother has kidney problems and has a bunch of stuff that he can't eat, and I just kinda dealt with it. It's not really the end of the world.

Sure, I do eat some of the stuff I couldn't back then, but I don't really mind not eating them for years if needed... Going vegetarian/vegan would basically be the same, but to a higher level.

At the end of the day, there are a lot of options on how to make meals tasty. You just need to look up the right recipes in the right places. Even if I can't eat "X thingy that I like", there are always things Y, W and Z that are tasty and that I can still eat... And there might be substitute ingredients that allow me to make X while using Vegetarian/Vegan ingredients... So, really, it's not the end of the world, I'd be willing to do it.

To give a more direct example, my boyfriend doesn't eat pork, and I love pork sausage. I don't really care that much for other pork stuff, but I really love the sausages... Well, if things go well between us and I start living with him, I'm fairly sure I'll stop eating pork... So what? Chicken sausages are a thing, yanno? And they're still very tasty. I can eat those just fine~

The same applies for vegetarian/vegan stuff. Only, instead of eating chicken stuff, you'd be eating soy-based stuff or whatever.

mir likes this.
  13. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't really mind. Nowadays vegetarian and vegan alternatives are getting better and cheaper for one thing and I quite often prepare vegetarian meals.

Honestly tho, biggest reason would be avoid the hassle. You both having to prepare different meals when your together would be so much more work for both of you and the fridge is gonna have way less space.

Although I do believe in compromises ans having a good communication is important for a relationship.

mir, Mnotia and AliceShiki like this.
  14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Asking someone to go vegan is no different than asking someone who is a vegan to eat meat. Generally, each person should be allowed to eat what they want. That said, obviously if you are gonna go to restaurants together or eat food together at home, you have to make some compromises to the nearest denominator of what both sides eat. This isn't limited to vegan or not but to any food. If a family member doesn't like fish or cheese or what not, you gotta go to places which offer other options on the menu. And also most of the time cook things that the whole family will eat (with exceptions from time to time or frozen foods)

Overall, all I personally care about is that the food tastes good. Some stuff like yogurts or plant based milk are good enough to be a replacement taste wise. But things like sour cream or cream cheese, I have yet to find a suitable tasting alternative. I haven't tried the vegan meats yet though, so don't know how those are.

mir, Heckaton and Vanidor like this.
  15. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ignoring the fact I will never have an SO, the only reason I would ever go vegetarian for an SO is if said SO managed to unleash a holy plague upon the poor, dearly beloved farmyard animals.

For myself I could easily go vegetarian to the effect of not eating meat, but I won't stop eating products just because they contain a bit of animal fat etc as part of their ingredients. I have no personal problems with only having meat in my meals on 1 or 2 days of the week.

I enjoy a professionally cooked steak (sirloin or rib eye only) but never home cooked or 'rump'. the meat I currently struggle to give up however is pork, just love the flavour and soft juiciness too much. don't care for chicken/turkey much and can easily go whole months without any seafood without even a second thought even though its enjoyable to have occasionally.

16. IReadWhenBoredSoWhat

IReadWhenBoredSoWhat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd do what my parents did, my mother went vegetarian for both health and personal reasons but my dad is very much a farmer who loves his steak. Plus, good ol' T-Bone didn't go to heaven and our freezer to be sold to random people he didn't almost kill cause someone didn't want to crop his horns when he was a calf.
    Anyway, they rotate cooking. Each time they'll make two meals, one without meat/dairy(cause she's also lactose intolerant) and one with.

I feel like the care they put into preparing meals that fit each other's needs and preferences even if they don't want to do the same is something that lasts longer than forcing yourself into a diet that doesn't suite you.

As for those who don't eat meat based on animal cruelty, that is a difference of ethics and beliefs not preferences. Personally, I feel like you should avoid dating people with different moral values in general.

So, nope. Not even by the command of my doctor.
    I know this thanks to my minor milk allergy.
    Ice cream will always be my favorite. Steak close behind.

Ral and mir like this.
  17. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As always, it depends on how significant the other is?

I haven't met any SO who could make me do such a thing.

But if I were dating a Daenerys Targaryen look-alike, I would probably seriously consider going vegan. At least for the duration of our relationship.

Yeah, that's how shallow I am. :D

18. Sadihime

Sadihime Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope! I don't think I can give up meat. I know there are substitute food that tastes like meat and I guess I'm fine with that but I'm not going to go full vegetarian/vegan just because somebody else wants to. If it's for health reasons, of course I'm willing to eat healthier but if it's for other reasons, then nope!

19. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah~ Cause I was thinking of doing it in the first place lol. If I had someone to push me to actually do it, then yeah I would. It'a just that I'm not very attached to eating meat and whatnot in the first place. Being vegan is not exactly convenient (imo) so...

20. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link

Love can make people do things that they never thought they'd do...

But I do believe it's paramount to draw a line

IReadWhenBoredSoWhat likes this.