Discussion What is the biggest misconception about your country?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by efo, Dec 7, 2021.

1. efo

efo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm from Turkey.

While I was watching videos, I've come across a video named 'Miscoceptions about Turkey.', and was beyond SHOCK. People really thought that Turkey was an Arabic country and was ruled by Islamic law.

That day, I've decided to not judge a country before seeing it for myself.

Tech is life likes this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hee it depend on which side you ask~
    as ASEAN country member this cat used to hear most westerners only know about Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand perhaps? on USA maybe Philippines and Vietnam~

anyway~ outside ASEAN community this cat country seem invisible aka no one know~ hehehe~ mostly westerner tho minus Australia~

anyway most think this cat country is muslim country, nope we have biggest muslim population on a country, hmm most populous majority muslim country~
    next blame the western media (duh) people think this cat country overrun by muslim extremism hmmm far right faction while in fact they are minority but have loud fart~

culture, when asked what this cat country culture this cat will say..... dunno.... cuz this cat country is home of 600++ ethnics with more variation on culture and custom plus hundreds of local langue (exclude accent) so good luck remember each of them, so till know this cat cannot really comprehend culture appropriation stuff~
    hmm maybe long time corruption? wait that too common on developing world so.... you not count as having meal if ya not eat rice! #ASEANWAY! related to that most (westerner) think this cat country consist of one race hmmm light brown skin with straight black hair~ nope~

oh btw if you see this cat country Chinese descendant (Chinese face) don't think they can speak chinese (especially the youth generation).... maybe lil bit la? but not mandarin ba~

which country this cat country come from you ask?
    biggest archipelago country consist of thousands of island on equator that become nightmare for building infrastructures that also sit on arguably worst part of ring of fire on pacific so it have most volcano, one of it cause human race almost extinct another just make year without summer back then.... basically this cat
    19657.png

efo likes this.
  3. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Misconception for my country.
    My country is not only one island, there are 5 big islands.
    The majority of religion in my country is islam. The misconception is that muslim will not mistreat/discriminate other minorities here. Big misconception. When towards the same muslim albeit different, they will attack them just how they will discriminate others religions/race.
    There's nothing you can do. Majority is the winner.

efo likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    People somehow think that Brazilian girls are hot by default... Uhn... Yeah, sure, like... You stupid? If I was half as pretty as people think Brazilian girls are, I'd be stupidly happy about my looks.

People also seem to think that Brazil is super violent and dangerous, which is like... Uhn... No? I mean, sure, there are dangerous areas, but there are also lots of very peaceful and safe areas... Honestly, if a place looks pretty, chances are, its neighborhood is safe. It's really that simple... And even in like places that look ugly and scary, that you see beggars often and whatever, it often ends up being fairly safe to walk at, even during the night.
    Heck, my uncle lives in an area that hookers try getting picked up on basically every night... Guess what? It's still a safe place, even with people trying to prostitute themselves on the streets (which is illegal over here btw).

Oh, and people seem to think we speak Spanish... We speak Portuguese here... >.>

Cream, Bright_Lucky_Star and efo like this.
  5. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Biggest misconceptions of the U.S.? That would be quite the list.

Shio and efo like this.
  6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    They have guns in Canada? First time I hear of that. Do they use them to threaten the other side to let them be the last to apologize? Or to rob maple syrup?

I don't think anyone thinks all Canadians have guns. Maybe those outside the US who see Canada as an extension of the US. But if you ask any person who has more guns, US or Canada, anyone will tell you US.

efo and AliceShiki like this.
  7. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

Bro half your text reads like a child trying to speak mtl

In any case my friend fled from Malaysia due to Islamic rule and oppression lol, idk maybe everyone just lives and experiences their country differently depending on where you live.
    I personally love the states, I pride in being an American but other Americans don’t feel the same. I love where I live but I can def say the states is so big that each state and region within state operate differently with slight variation in couture. Hell parts of Detroit even have sharia law lololol so I think sometimes there are not only misconceptions of others on our country but our own misconceptions of our country

efo likes this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Malaysia have different constitution, different law compare to this cat country so its ok

USA is federal system no? so it normal to have bunch of truly different stuff altogether. wait tbh USA is different study case given how it operates, I mean USA is the only country that legally and technically have "shut down". USA government and political system is interesting, that cuz this cat country run on different system~ while its true there misconception among fellow citizens more so country that big on size and multi culture there should be a general opinion share among citizen~

efo likes this.
  9. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol I don't think you have the slightest clue on what Sharia law is. It doesn't mean violent lawlessness like many people think. But hey, that's what the media says~
    Biggest misconception people have: Islamic law is bad/violent/oppressive. No, what's horrible is politics and the struggle for power that causes war harming innocents.

Yeah, it's weird people think that. Despite its 700-year history of the Ottoman Empire, modern-day Turkey is pretty secular. Though there still exist many practicing Muslims, I feel like the general censuses leans more towards secularism. But it's still a Muslim country (~90% Muslims), so people group all Muslim countries together as "Arab". My own country gets grouped in as Arab sometimes but I don't mind it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    efo likes this.
  10. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

Actually I understand sharia law. My best friends are Muslim. But often times people use things for power grabs. It’s not for what it stands for but the people who abuse the power and religion which results in a bad name for the country/religion/idea
    For instance guns and normal citizens vs guns and school shooter/criminals

I give Detroit as an a example as sharia law makes places in Detroit unsafe to live in. And for women no freedom in those regions.

I don’t mean to offend you, your religion or country by stating that. I a, only speaking for my country and what I observe

efo likes this.
  11. Saorihirai

Reading List:
    Link
    Sharia Law is very detailed and complex, (it's literally the guide to ruling) so most Muslims don't even understand it themselves. (it's also very hard to find information on it online, as you will just get biased accounts. To understand it, you have to really study the sources and be familiar with Islamic Literature. So def not something average people completely know) Just like how you cannot expect the average person to understand the entire legal system. But yes, I completely understand what you're saying, it is always the few powerful people that make regions/things get a bad rep. One thing tho, the law emphasizes safety for people and against crime, especially for women. It doesn't make anywhere unsafe.
    For example, there are places in the US that have a higher crime rate. That doesn't mean that the legal system in those cities is allowing for crime to happen, it means the enforcers of the system of are failing to implement it successfully. It can also be due a whole lottt of complex issues, which just gets into crime investigation on why some places have higher crime. Same for places where people may think are dangerous because of the Sharia Law, but it's because of the complex sociopolitical issues, not the law. Like war going on for a plethora of reasons based on power and control, poverty from broken economy, corruption. Etc etc. I hope you understand what I'm saying. The laws itself are just, but its the issues surrounding those regions from years of lacking economy, political conflicts, and wars based on geopolitical location that cause issues. I hope this isn't too "political" for the site, since it's not specific to any country at all. I would say it's more on the side of philosophical politics on human issues.

efo and asriu like this.
  12. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

I get what your saying. I’m not trying to attack the religion or the law. But what I’m saying is from an anecdotal reference of a Muslim friend who’s fam moved away from a region ruled by sharia law in Detroit has told me it was no bueno because as usual the few pieces of shit were ruining it, and it isn’t a single stand alone cases either as similar anecdotes are stated by others from UK and Europe where sharia law is implemented.
    Well it’s sad that to protect women we need to force the rules upon them such as making them cover up etc. but the reality is the weak get ruled and the strong prevail

efo likes this.
  13. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    :cookie: Countries
    :blobwoah: religions
    :blobpopcorn_two:...
    Mod, where are mod...

efo and otaku31 like this.
  14. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are we still talking about religion as religion or religion as the law?

efo likes this.
  15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    its about law created based on religion teaching and that law become a legal system on some place~ different concept with religion as the law~
    Islam is quite something create their own legal system that cover hmm various stuff just like regular law that run a country~ so the topic can become similar to USA legal system versus UK legal system~ well beyond common cat can comprehend~ well sharia law is infamous cuz most middle east that proclaims run by sharia law basically on not so good condition, plus with how media make them look so bad~
    hmmm its like say china is bad cuz they are commie and disregard everything else~
    dood are you law student or something? first time see thing like this~

efo likes this.
  16. Saorihirai

Reading List:
    Link
    yea I'm very surprised this thread isn't locked :hmm:. Are the mods slacking? It probably will be tho. Too many forbidden topics

efo likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    If you think a thread is breaking the rules, you should report it, then the mods will take a look over it.

Mods are not omniscient. They can't look at every single thread/post made in the forum.

In any case, I didn't report this myself because I felt like it wasn't discussing anything particularly volatile. But you may report it if you feel like it is breaking the rules. The mods will check the thread then, and take action if needed.

efo likes this.
  18. Little Evil

Little Evil Hello o/

Reading List:
    Link
    Im pretty sure the religion discussion that broke out between few people up there is against forum rules.

I have my own ideas about it, but sharing those would also break rules~

Anyway, stop talking about it. This forum isn't for this sort of thing, you can do so on one of many discords or just somewhere else...

efo likes this.
  19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    You can always report their posts! ^^)/

efo likes this.
  20. Saorihirai

Reading List:
    Link
    I did. But just for note, this thread started off with that topic already being discussed, and I gave nothing more than the simple definition of sharia law. And the relationship between "law and crime" which is not political imo. Cuz I didn't go into detail. More like, philosophical. Still, very iffy and I also don't think discussing this any deeper on the forums is good

efo likes this.