Chinese I Want to Retire from the Entertainment Industry

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by kkgoh, Dec 8, 2021.

1. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: 这个明星很想退休 ("I Want to Retire from the Entertainment Industry" ... making this up)
    Raw Link: https://www.uukanshu.com/b/168380/
    NU Link: N/A
    Genre: Seinen, Comedy, Slice-of-Life, Modern Day, Romance
    Why It Should Get Picked Up:
    4th time is the charm (for recommending translations)!

Another CN entertainment industry genre, similar to "I'm Really A Superstar". There's no real face-smacking. Some not-so-subtle nationalism for sure (through some popular pro-China media), but that's to be expected if you consider the time it was written (see later post below).
    I'm biased because of MC's character setting as a traditional Chinese opera artiste, along with being an entertainer in his previous life, so it's not just someone with no experience fastidiously plagiarizing famous works. There are many traditional Chinese art forms along with modern blends being referenced. Even pop culture from US/UK, whether it's EDM or street dancing.
    Author is an audiophile and very respectful of original work, so there are very lengthy references to its history, production, reception in original Earth. Author doesn't directly copy those works all the time, but takes the time to setup the scenario and makes imaginary edits (direction/staging/etc). That hyper focus on portraying the works makes the rest of the plot development quite slow, so I'd give it 4/5 stars at best.
    There's also a cat. So I'm guessing that gives it bonus points.

I've read up to Chapter 150 raws.

Translators note
    - Writing is easy to understand, lots of modern day Asian colloquialism and pop-culture.
    - I was able to find lots of YouTube videos referencing all of the works. Suggest adding links for the pop-culture references for readers
    - Currently 287 chapters, quite well-rated across various CN webnovel sites too.

Description:
    ----------
    众人:“不!你不想!”

Everyone: "No, you don't!"

So the description is really vague. Suggest the following description:

Struggling 30 yr old entertainer Luo Mo and his cat Whitey reincarnates into a different dimension of Earth in an electrical accident. He spiritually merges with a handsome 24 year old Chinese opera artiste who just happens to be an extra on an idol TV program. Follow the protagonist as he makes his way into the top echelons of society!

MC struggled due to his plain looks, but is talented, hardworking and knowledgeable nonetheless. Given a newfound opportunity to make it big, he doesn't hesitate to unleash his talents along with a healthy dose of plagiarism. The side-B plot with his cat is quite interesting since she happens to spiritually merge with a Queen of the CN entertainment industry, although the MC has no idea. There's no magical system, just a former, experienced artiste using his knowledge in a new Earth.

The title is odd since it goes against what the MC is trying to do. The joke (minor spoiler) is that given his beginnings as an extra on set and often lackadaisical manner, his rabid fans constantly demand that he work hard and overtime.

EDIT (as of c200):
    I have to say that author's ability to write about the plagiarized media and unique art direction is top notch. But that might be his limit.
    Everything else, from interpersonal relationships, conversations, fan reactions, comedy, etc is pretty dismal. Fan reactions are repetitive and boring, conversations with other characters are one-dimensional, to the point that I'm actively skimming paragraphs just to find some meat. That's NOT a good sign, since this is a slice-of-life novel and you EXPECT these types of content to carry the novel.
    Lowering my expectations/rating down to 3.5 / 5 stars.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    missluna, TXHY and Rahmiwu like this.
  2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I love these types of novel show biz/business novel where the main character might have experience, but is starting from zero.

I really find it funny when they write these types of novels while trying to make China look like they are number 1, but with how much they plagiarize from the west they ultimately end up making every country they steal from look better since they can't come up with any of their own stuff since they have to worry about it being appropriate or get censored.

Even when they make a business related novel they mostly use Honk Kong idea's strategies or western Ideas and strategies, but not once have I seen them use anything that comes from mainland China.

When they describes Beijing in their stories they say how great it is and how everyone in China wants to live there, but they never tell you why nor do they give any reason as to why it is great.

I am sure they will notice one day...

kkgoh likes this.
  3. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting! All in for the cat :blobpeek: only if MC doesn't pick up girls left and right, that is

kkgoh likes this.
  4. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He doesn't pick them up. I don't see it becoming a pointless harem like "I Know Everything".

The girls do naturally flock to him given his status, looks and "creativity", but they are professionals and are able to restrain themselves. Kinda similar to "I Really Am A Superstar".

TXHY likes this.
  5. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

MINOR SPOILERS

Yea, I'll warn you that there are definitely some pro-Chinese elements in the story, especially c130-160+. Can't be helped, that's around mid 2021, the 100 year anniversary of the CCP. Every CN novel probably had to have patriotic themes included. And by that I mean this level of patriotism ...
    [​IMG]

There are referenced works to "overseas" Chinese, including HK/Taiwan. You know the famous ones ... Jay Chou, Stephanie Sun, etc. Along with some really recent songs/performances from popular artistes within the past year.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  6. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't say I hate it I just said I found it funny that while they are trying to promote their country as number one they include a lot of things or the majority of the story has western elements in them or they plagiarize from many western countries.

I think it's incredibly funny.

kkgoh likes this.
  7. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I have to take back my request about translating this novel. Series seems to go downhill over time. Am already at c250 and I feel like dropping it.

I really don't know if it's because 2021 is the 100 year anniversary or if CN censorship / pro-CN voices have grown really strong lately, or maybe both.

It's at the point where practically EVERY SINGLE plagiarized work now has a pro-chinese spin to it (starting from c50 onwards). From the song selection to movies to author's weird fascination with having MC develop questionable animation .... so MC ends up publishing shitty Chinese animation like this, all while claiming it's incredibly popular (it's not).

So we're now at the point where there's no foreign works being plagiarized. Because apparently CN works are all just simply too amazing and astounding, while foreign works are clearly not as good.

Ugh.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  8. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    It happens a lot, that isn't surprise China's internet is controlled by their government they are bound to only see biased and skewed news and opinions.

kkgoh likes this.
  9. Ghibli130

Ghibli130 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link