About music...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ludagad, Dec 13, 2021.

1. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Just watched a youtube video comparing TikTok songs and mainstream pop for fun (RoomieOfficial video) and it made me think about my own experiences with music. I'm not that huge of a fan. I barely listen to music and need to have a special mood for it. My brain tends to focus on sounds too much, so I can't do anything else while listening to music. So, people who can actually study while having music in the background, you got my respect. I can't even read my trash novel with music, it feels like I just read a bunch of letters but no meaning got transmitted.

Anyway, back in school, I hated the modern pop music at the time (whatever was on MTV and the radio basically). So I listened to 70s and 80s music and preferred their more interesting melodies, the beats, the instruments, and also the synths for some of them. And then started getting into operatic metal, and also HIM, Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Slipknot, etc. So back then, the kids made fun of me for not liking mainstream music.

If I went to school now, would the kids make fun of me for liking mainstream music? Cause honestly, I like the sound of pop music now, and the TikTok music I've heard bores me to the point I'd rather turn it off and wash the windows or something. I wonder, is pop music still more popular, or is it all about TikTok now?

Random thoughts at 2am.

What do you listen to nowadays?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  2. Lunaix

Lunaix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't answer because I don't have tiktok, but I'm lurking because I'm curious.

However, to the question of whether you'd be made fun of for listening to oldies music--no, I'm pretty sure you won't be. People nowadays (at least the kids at my school) don't care as long as it sounds good.

LokaLari, asriu and Cutter Masterson like this.
  3. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer hearing any song that I feel good, why bother with other's taste of music? They're not you and the one who enjoy it definitely not you
    I also don't have tiktok, i do feel there a lot good music there, but mostly its just too short and i think it just a waste to install tiktok and watch unproductive video like that and it similar like some content on youtube (i only watch youtube to download interesting video)

4. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Kids making fun of something different, seems pretry normal to me. I don't know whats popular but i know what i like when i hear it.

TikTok vs whats mainstream definition means nothing to me. I don't know what is mainstream is... i live under a rock connected to the internet.

Pop can mean many different things, i prefer mentioning artists or songs you like gives us a better picture, For example I like eminem, Tupac, biggie, krs-one, but i don't like rap genre as a whole. I really like the song boulevard of broken dreams but i don't really like most of green day.

One thing i never liked was the Beatles... i have had many people try to convince me that they ate awesome but just don't hear it on a personal level.

The biggest thing I'm wondering about is if NFTs are going to change the music industry sooner vs later.

Best time alive for indie music too always another great artist to find on youtube.

5. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    My definition for pop and mainstream is basically what you hear a million times on the radio or any public spaces where music plays - now it would be Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Lil Nas X?

Funny you mentioned The Beatles. That's what those kids were mocking me with when I would say I don't listen to their favorite. I did end up liking The Beatles in my 20s tho haha. They sound interesting to me, meaning the melodies of their songs. I also like some of their solos, but I can't say I love absolutely everything they made.

Here's some of the popular stuff pre-highschool, when my classmates would sneer at my taste: Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Hanson, Aqua, Ace of Base, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Lou Bega, All Saints, Vengaboys, Five, Ricky Martin, Shaggy, Fatboy Slim, Eiffel 65, Green Day, Alanis Morissette, Take That, The Offspring, Robbie Williams, etc. I couldn't get away from their music anywhere. I know lots of people love and feel nostalgic for this music, but it always sounded boring to me. I wouldn't willingly search it up and play it in my spare time. It could be that I don't put lyrics in first place, so some of the appeal is lost on me. (Some exceptions for that era are Michale Jackson and REM). Mainstream music started to sound good only around 2018-ish for me.

6. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what you're working on.

If studying, then the information is "new" and therefore people tend of listen to music that isn't as distracting. e.g. lofi, ambient, classical.

If working, it depends on what kind of work you do. If it's task-oriented work, e.g. building a drywall, assembling a widget in a factory, etc, people can listen to anything since they are practically on auto-pilot and don't need that much cognition bandwidth.
    Hence why construction crews constantly blare out pop music on heavy duty stereos ...

7. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really know what is being played these days, but maybe the outcasts would make fun of you for liking mainstream music. I had a friend back then who liked the stuff you liked and she would be snooty about people who enjoyed mainstream music. Then again, I was never on the same wavelength anyways because she always took lyrics into consideration while I'd hardly hear the lyrics at all in the first place. Can't say anything about tiktok.... I dont really use that app at all.

Personally, overbearing music was great for bouncing my adhd around and helped me focus. It was like a sound cage for my stupid bouncey mind. Linkin park esp helped me focus when studying for some reason. When i actually focus on the music itself, I get overwhelmed if it's complex and multilayered, so classical concerts were both enjoyable and exhausting to me.

Anyways, we all experience things differently, esp music, so I dont judge, unless you blast music when people are trying to sleep at night before a workday.

Baldingere likes this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    pop music still popular cuz that the genre popular.....

ehem
    mainstream music~ tbh dunno this cat just listen whatever play on radio or mall or thing like that to know what is the mainstream cuz not really pay attention to it~ about mocking stuff, it still happening and such behavior will not change on society~ it just maybe with internet people lil bit more open with different taste~

this cat taste not really change~ soft slow music, thing that sound epic (like on video game), traditional instruments, fantasy stuff better if this cat have lyric translation~

9. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    That reminds me of my childhood. I didn't listen to music much. I listened to CDs or radiostations my parents would put on. In my dad's case, that means a lot of classical music.
    I liked music, but I wasn't interested in listening to it. Except for an Helene Fisher CD I had... It kind of feels like my dark history now lol
    Never caused a problem till we did a blindtest in english class. I couldn't name even one song. The teacher looked at me like an alien and started to interrogate me, in desperation, about what I listened to at home. I said: Vivaldi, Debussy. She seemed perplex and it made the class laugh.
    The other kids didn't bother me much afterwards, cuz they couldn't have won a snarky comments fight against me in a million year.
    Later we got a computer for us kids at home and I started listening to music on YouTube. I still can't get any song on blindtests tho. I don't listen to party songs, and I don't listen to mainstream rap either.
    I listen to a lot of music nowadays but I'm quite hopeless at distinguishing the categories. I listen to pop, indie, rock, folk, country, alternative, some oldies, some rap and slam, musicals, metal and postrock and electro and soul at times from what I've figured out from the comment section.
    Recent recs would be: Same old energy by Kiki Rockwell; It gets darker by Sigrid; Minuit by Oscar Anton and Clementine Anton; 1 2 3 by Upsahl; Kakhuri by Trio Mandili

10. BB_Tensei

BB_Tensei [Crystal Operator][Jack of all Trades]

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's the soundtrack to your post:

11. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread reminded me of childhood too. When I was young I never really had an interest in music but there is one song little 11 year old me really liked. It was fireworks, I think the one from Katty perry? But anyway one day I was mouthing the lyrics to the song cuz someone was playing it on the school computer and this kid started making fun of me for doing that cuz idk he thought it was so hilarious I knew a song. Maybe cuz I never really knew any other song. before, let alone a mainstream song. I also liked listening to um..Winx Club songs and Barbie songs...ahem 0//0. I have no idea who the singers were but I used to jam out to Winx Club all the time lol.

Fond memories :blobmelt:

12. Ardna

Ardna [Avid slacker]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they care that much. Well I don't have tiktok and I really don't listen to the mainstream music, so it's hard to compare.

In my case, Huh I got into music quite late, I was around 12. I have never liked pop, older rock was nice, but I've never listened to the music for pleasure at that time, and that's because, as it turned out, I'm into metal. My parents always turned on the radio, but it was more of a background noise. And of course there wasn't anyone liking harder music, idk where I heard "And justice for all" Metallica's album, but that's the reason why I digged into the genre, and Trivium as well as Behemoth are why I stayed.

So I rarely talked about music and new releases with people, if I had been asked directly about something regarding music than I'd tell what I actually like listening to. But never have I been mocked because of it. Possibly, it was quite shocking for people. Imagine girl of a small build, long curls, always dressed a bit more elegant than common. One of the best students in school. Saying that she's fan of heavy metal and borderline extreme metal. People just freaked out (and for so many years they still do :blobsmirk:) especially when they realised that I have vast knowledge (as for kid/teen during school times) about genres, bands and all that stuff (and actually had had heavy leather boots and band shirts, just didn't wear them to school).

As I think of it, maybe because my best friend at that time had very the same interests. You know there were two of us, I haven't been alone so I guess all kinds of making fun of me and my music taste would give less pleasure, as both of us didn't give a fuck about opinion of others and were sassy as hell

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  13. Obserwator

Obserwator [Gamer of Life] [Naturalist] [Universalist]

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends from school to school if they are even open...
    What I'm usually listing: classical music, sounds of nature and sometimes good oldies.

Ardna likes this.
  14. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who do I listen to? My parents.