Spoiler The Tears of a Jester / The Melancholy of a Clown / 어릿광대의 우울

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Macarol, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Macarol

Macarol Click on my signature for a surprise

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Summary:
    Two princesses, one throne. Life is hard for a court jester. Not only do I serve as an emotional punching bag for the royals and aristocrats, forced to indulge their every whim, but now I'm also caught between two princesses. Is this a comedy? Or will this tale end in tragedy?

Novel raws: https://ridibooks.com/books/2093023986
    Official manhwa translation: https://manta.net/series/1264

2. Spoiler Curator

Spoiler Curator Hi , Click Edit and Edit My Posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoiler Table of Contents Placeholder

Table of Contents
    • Chapter 100 spoiler
    • Chapter 250 spoiler
    Anyone is able to edit this post with an account. Please edit this post to link to spoilers in this thread as you find them. You are free to edit and remove anything within this post, including this placeholder text.

For more information, please visit: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/new-spoiler-plugin-for-the-forums.114103/

3. Pinkchik

Pinkchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tragedy? Someone give me spoilers pleaseee

4. your crush

your crush Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    spoilers!!!

5. twilight_123

twilight_123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This tragedy tag is scaring the hell out of me:notlikeblob:

bleedingliar24 likes this.
  6. Kunoa

Kunoa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I came here because of the ‘tragedy’ tag and heard the romance isnt actually the romance as in we would take? Its tragedy by a review i saw on the raws of the novel— i translated it btw for anyone looking for it. People are asking if there is another ml in replies and im not very sure
    Albrecht - The Melancholy of the Clown

Satisfaction: 8/10

One Line Review: A tragic story about the throne. It's a very well-written story that's fun and immersive, but it's quite exhausting and difficult to read as a romance novel. No one will be saved Beware.. Please give me an apology;

Date read: 2018-12-11 (North of Yes24)

This is a story about a royal tragedy told in a comedy by the male protagonist, an unnamed clown belonging to the royal family.

The clown, who stands on the border between a boy and a young man, tells the story in a tone of resignation and self-help.

It was interesting, but in many ways it was a fast-paced book. And the more the story unfolded, the more my heart ached.

Basically, the greed and madness surrounding the supreme position of the throne is the root cause of all tragedies, but

directly the current king is really the root and *** of all evil.

As the second prince, he usurped the throne by killing his older brother, who was an orthodox heir and had more royal qualities than anyone else.

He is mentally weak, swayed by nobles, and does not know how to protect his own people.

And it was this king that caused all the tragedy in this work.

A noble girl who reached out to a frivolous clown who had become a wreck in the cold palace.

Kyung-ae, who was the most absolute for the clown boy, and the first princess, Verona, who is perhaps the object of love.

As the eldest daughter of the king, she has lived her life with the sole goal of becoming a king.

For him, I have done everything possible, including sometimes getting my hands dirty.

He is a person who has vision, ability, and charisma for a country that will lead his father as a teacher in his own way.

There would have been no problem if Princess Verona had become the official heir and ascended the throne as the king, but the current king throws shit properly.

Verona's agility touched her father's complex, and she is not recognized as a successor. Despite the

fact that he has a mature heir who is over 20 years old, he is forced to

summon the second princess, Lux, who had been exiled for her name as a princess.

And Verona becomes hostile to and hates her 10-year-old half-brother who stands in her way.

And the main character, the clown, disobeys his most beloved Verona, and

has compassion for the little princess who still deserves kindness and care rather than the cruelty of the world, and decides to protect her.

Yet made him Verona as master of the mind reveals well the feelings portrayed the clown defend Lux and
    increasingly abnormal and look of Verona and becoming a monster to kill dry static sister
    while Tianjin princess is wotdeon Lux is isolated lose that precious The ruins are portrayed realistically and exhaustingly.

The clown who cherished the two princesses and struggled to protect both of them, but could not change anything, was also heartbreaking.

Personally, I'm not good at reading texts with weak romance elements, but I thoroughly immersed myself in reading this work. There is no lack of romance. The emotions between the clown and Verona are quite tender and blind. Obviously, the clown cherishes both princesses, but the emotions focused on Verona were much deeper.

However, it is a work that does not focus on sexual or romantic feelings, so it is difficult to see it as a romance novel.

A relationship full of guilt and remorse, beyond what is precious to each other.. No one was happy with the ending ㅠㅠ The ending may be a natural ending in terms of the story, but it was a very disappointing ending for me as a lover of happy endings.

It is my hope that there will be an if story that will make everyone happy, or a story about a future story that will be saved even a little bit.

++Miscellaneous rumors
    (strong spoiler) No, why did you put the castration setting of the male cast.. ㅠㅠ It's the second time in my history of a male lead with a really bad male character..

++There is no scene~~

.The clown till the end does not have a name

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    FunSmiles, Assassel, Bastian and 16 others like this.
  7. Wapdyne

Wapdyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.naver?blogId=gikyungk&logNo=222544544252&searchKeyword=어릿광대의 우울 This blog summarized the whole novel. Wow no one really gets a happy ending…

I copy pasted some spoilers from the blog:

Just as Verona revolted, Fenton* rebelled, and the royal palace was in chaos. The foolish king is killed by Fenton, not Verona. The character I didn't like the most in this book. An irresponsible, indecisive, and reckless king who only caused riots by making fun of his lower back.

(his name in the official translation is ‘Penton’ he’s the illegitimate child of the king and appears in chapter 7)

After the death of the king, the three blood relatives, Verona and Fenton, who inherited his blood, aim their swords, and Lux joins them and fights until only one remains.

Fenton dies, Lux dies, and Verona seizes the throne

After Lux died, the clown changed.

(The Melancholy of the Clown', page 599)

The clown stared blankly at the princess with slightly smiling eyes. Laughing is not laughing I made a fake smile, so it hardened just like that. It looks like she's looking at a princess, but she's actually looking out somewhere far away. Sorrow is like a well. A deep well that even the clown himself does not know the end of.

Even Verona seems to be becoming transparent in her mindlessly transparent gaze.

A clown who has endlessly abandoned himself. Do you know how many people you have made happy?

But how are you getting sadder?

('The Melancholy of the Clown', page 600)

Verona confesses to killing the clown's stepfather 9 years ago:

‘your Majesty.’

The clown speaks in a slightly trembling voice.

‘I don't think I can live in the royal palace anymore.’

('The Melancholy of the Clown', page 604)

The sunlight framed his white skin with a golden hue. The pale straw-colored blonde shone with a brilliance not found in this world.

'Can't you forgive me?'

Verona asked calmly, hiding her cruel heart. He looked at the master with blue-gray eyes that resembled the sky just before the rain.

'no.'

He tilted his eyebrows at an angle and smiled softly.

'I am leaving to forgive Your Majesty.'

Every time he was called His Majesty through his mouth, the feeling was new. There was a time when Verona always felt like a princess, and a clown always felt like a clown.

‘Someday, when I become something other than a clown, I will come back to forgive your Majesty.’

The clown leaves, and Verona becomes a saint. That was it. Sutherrain assisted Verona and became prime minister for leading the rebellion to success.

The secret and bitterness of life contained in this one book.

The clown's name didn't come out until the end.

Did Princess Verona sleep with Sutherrain* instead of the clown? Curious about useless things, I turn to the last page.

(I just know that he’s a Count that helps Princess Verona assassinate Princess Lux. He later becomes Duke and tries to court Princess Verona but gets rejected)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  8. peach.pudin

peach.pudin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow that’s sad af, I’m totally reading this

9. Deleted member 282232

Deleted member 282232 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh so he became melancholic due to the King's youngest child's death. I see.

The King is also responsible for this tragedy. He should've just crowned Verona and continued to cry in his closed room. Just because he saw his brother in the Princess, he was denying her the position she deserved.

In the end, the rebellion happened and people who died, she got rid of the blood of the King to avoid conflict for the throne in the future. Sadly, that is how the royalty and rule works.

For Catherine Blythe, I think she might be framed by the Princess, as the latter would've wanted to remove any possibility of someone getting between her and her throne. She might've thought that if Catherine's influence continue to go grow on the King, her child might be out on the throne as the King didn't favoured the Princess much.

Also, King forced Princess Lux to compete in the succession and this was the reason she was gotten rid of. The King played an important role in the chaos that happened.

Catherine Blythe never loved the King. She had her motives behind it, same with Annette who later seduced the King but never loved him.

10. Deleted member 282232

Deleted member 282232 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    This novel is hailed as a piece of literature by quite a few readers.

The clown loved and respected Princess Verona and it is subtly hinted that she too had soft corner for him. The clown was sad when Verona allied with the Count (who loved her). But she banished him because he was trying to save Lux from her. The reason he was trying to save Lux wasn't only because he cared for her but he did not wanted Verona to turn into a tyrant.

As the ending approached, they all were blackened due to the fight for the throne.

They all rebel, Lux, Verona and Penton and the king is killed by the later. Lux dies too. Verona is hailed as the new ruler.

She tells the crown that his (step?)father was killed on her orders, she asks him for forgiveness, the heart of the clown which was already heavier due to the bloodshed and remorse over unable to save the innocent kid and this revelation was like boulder fallen on him. He gives her a sad smile and tells her he will try to forgive her and will meet her if he becomes something other than a clown. The new ruler of the kingdom is unable to hold him back and he leaves. She visits her late half sister's room and shed tears wondering why was she so harsh upon the child as the Count reaches out to her and informs her about the crowning ceremony. The new ruler leaves and take steps towards her destined position.

It is said in the end that she was hailed as a Saint among the people, it depicts that she was a great ruler and her reign fulfilled Lux wish to help the poor and to lead the to betterment.

Whether the Clown and his Princess ever met again?
    No one knows, just like no one knew about his real name, no one knows whether he returned by her side and met her or not. As said by the Clown, the Princess now Your Majesty can never find anyone like him. If she had to, there have to be an execution the witch Catherine again, he had to make a joke on her execution for entertainment, she will have to stop him and point out about what wrong he was doing but alas, time can never be turned back.

Dofu, mart7206, Ice_Rose and 18 others like this.
  11. Bunbun235

Bunbun235 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really is! Beautiful :' )

This novel has been picked up by RainOfSnow: https://rainofsnow.com/the-melancholy-of-a-clown/#chapter

12. pansikoser

pansikoser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *weeps*
    i'm just going to stay here in the corner, collecting my brave, before i read it...cause i'm already broken hearted.

13. november27

november27 Happy, free, confuse and lonely in the best way

Reading List:
    Link
    The prologue reminds me of
    “Joker & the queen” by Ed Sheeran
    U guys should listen to it :love::love:

syofiaa and twilight_123 like this.
  14. I_am_the_two

I_am_the_two Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unironically one of the few stories I wish I hadn’t spoilered myself for because now I can’t read it (out of depression)

bleedingliar24 likes this.
  15. RineLovesAir

RineLovesAir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Coincidentally I just happened to listen to that song earlier then was reminded of this one so i immediately went to read some spoilers.

syofiaa and twilight_123 like this.
  16. Joker07

Joker07 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I can read this story...

bleedingliar24 and TyShaye like this.
  17. Eloisane

Eloisane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing really tragic except the youngest princess death, the rest is just quite normal.
    Veronica will probably marry someone of her status and have children, and the clown will finally live his life.

syofiaa and your crush like this.
  18. DOHere

DOHere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone have some more spoilers please. Got some questions:

1. Was Catherine the reincarnation of that wolf, as she said?

2. Was Verona the first king's child instead? Otherwise, where does she take her blond hair from? Neither her mom nor the second king have it.

Tbh, Lux should have just given up at the end and Verona might've spared her life. Idk why Lux wanted the throne as she should've known Verona was the better ruler and she has been the defacto ruler for a long time while her father was sitting depressed in his room.

That 2nd king is really the worst. He first killed his blood related older brother, who was also the most talented and legitimate ruler. Then he did a shit job at ruling himself. Allowed his beloved woman to be killed, then wallowed in pain the rest of his life after his own decision. Dunno how someone could love such a waste of a person, wtf did that wolf woman see in him. And selfish to the end: even if an offspring much worthier than him pops up, his insecurity complex comes up and he causes more trouble in his country.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    Dofu, Ice_Rose, SoShy and 8 others like this.
  19. milano

milano Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a timeskip and then Lux joins in or was she still young and manipulated into joining the war of succession? Feels bad for her.

20. Ruyi255

Ruyi255 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She was in a manipulated by Ophelia and the misleading actions of clown. Otherwise she wanted to stay out of it. Ophelia took after the last wish of Catherine who wanted her child to be the ruler so that her wolf tribe can flourish and rule over.

DOHere likes this.