Discussion is it just me?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Asf, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like the more powerfull the MC is, the less exciting the battle is written in most novel.

In the beginning when the MC is still weak, most the battles are coreographed and detailed.
    I feel more of the risk and reward of MC's action. And how wits metter in winning against stronger foe.

After he becomes powerfull its all just using some beams or aura or chakra brute force and such..
    Also the battles becomes less about wits and more about pushing and pulling until the enemy die..

What do you think?

Ddraig and Bad Storm like this.
  2. ValiDxD

ValiDxD 『White Dragon Emperor』『Wine Lover』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I feel the same way. Low level battles are way easier to write than high level battles.

3. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s the problem with OP characters. You already know the outcome of the battle and as such adding details just makes it feel boring and drawn out instead.
    Stories like One Punch Man do a good job by putting some focus on side characters instead.

But nonetheless, I enjoy novels with OP characters. No braining needed

credulous2skeptic likes this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? I feel all battles are the same and more or less involve the villain gloating over his bigger lightsaber until the protagonist reveals that his lightsaber, smaller though it may be, is thicker— a super duper ultra rare infrared ultraviolet gamma ray neutron accelerator railgun version that glows bright enough to overshadow any enemy shenanigans while bowling over the ladies, piercing them through the... heart... like Cupid's arrow.

Ruzova, Xian Piete and Aki9012 like this.
  5. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's more about the progress of the novel, than the power scale. The author is out of ideas at some point and if he doesn't come up with new ideas, his novel gets less exciting.
    I read a lot of really exciting high level battles, but at the same time I agree with you too. There are also some really bad "out of ideas" battle scenes.

Fluffums and asriu like this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    agree with @Elementarteilchen seem author lost idea~ well try imagine two people who have power to nuke earth just with it fist fight each other... sound like more kaboom! stuff

imo stronger the enemy mean they are smarter, yeah they can be hmm brash? muscle head perhaps but not idiot~ that hard to write tbh, there should be more wit involve but well maybe we can just pretend they become more like character on game perhaps? like Asura Wrath button mash~

or maybe MC become lazier so just send ICBM to end it quickly~

Elementarteilchen likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it depends on how well the author executes it...

Like, if a character in the early parts of the novel relied heavily on sneaky tactics, skill, managing the crowd, preparing themselves in advance and whatnot to defeat the enemies... Then in the latter parts of the novel starts simply throwing explosives everywhere to deal with whatever enemy, then yes, the early battles will feel a lot more interesting.

If OTOH, the character had to fight without much technique but just doing their best on the early parts of the novel, but on the latter parts the character became a better fighter and could use better techniques and stuff, then the latter parts might actually feel as interesting, or even more interesting than the earlier ones.

The first example that comes to mind to me is Dragon Ball. Goku's fights at the start were quite cool and unique.... And well, at the latter parts it did start using a lot more energy bolts and stuff, but it's hard to not love stuff like Goku VS Frieza and whatnot. Toriyama did a good job at keeping the fights interesting even after the characters got strong enough to blow up planets and stuff.

8. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be honest, I usually skip over battle scenes. To me, they are just filler. All that ever matters is the end result. Is the MC going to win, or suffer a small setback? When I am reading a story and they get to a tournament arc, I know I can just skip to the end of the tournament arc and know as much as any reader that bothered to suffer through it line by line.

9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I have a similar feeling, but rather it being about the fights themselves it is more that sometimes the stronger the main character gets the less careful they seem to become in picking their fights well, either because they plainly doesn't need to anymore or because they get overconfident.
    Which I feel is a shame because often I find it more interesting how a character gets into a fight rather than the fight itself, no matter how well done it is.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    AliceShiki likes this.
  10. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like it's more about the power progression and/or the author getting lazy. In theory, as characters (and their opponents) get stronger, they should have more tools and techniques, and they're more aware of ways to cover for their weaknesses. In theory.

In practice, authors want to show that the protagonist is getting stronger by showing off that all he needs to do is punch and he can win, and that's at least in part because coming up with entire fight scenes and making them interesting is more and more difficult the longer a novel gets. After 1000+ daily chapters and hundreds of battles, any author is going to start running out of ideas.

So it's less about the power levels, and more about lazy writing. Now that I think about it, a certain unlucky high schooler tends to end his battles with a punch, and there are a ton of people around in that series who are apocalyptic level bosses, but the fights certainly never got boring to me no matter how long the series went on. Other parts got boring, but the battles stayed pretty fun.

11. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Brute force is boring to read about. Such stories are about mc trying to have the most brute force within them. It doesnt work out well 99% of the times.

And as such I agree. (Although I believe this might also partially stem from the fact that most power fantasy stories tend to have a much more decent prologue/ first arc and then go downhill all the way and as such the later battles are significantly worse.)

Add stuff like mc not giving a fuck about strategy, cool environmental effects coz mc just booms through everything and you get the equivalent of meh action scenes.