Spoiler Under the oak tree

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Lovina, Dec 25, 2019.

1. arianacalacday

arianacalacday Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wars wars wars ugh please author nim give us a good plot other than wars. I finished the whole book 2 and its all about war after a war after a war, for me I didn’t enjoy it as much as I enjoyed book 1 additionaly riftans cold treatment. You can tell they care for each other but it fells so distant. I understand maxi I want the old riftan back. If you’re for bloody, action, suspense then this may be for you but Im all for their romance. Maybe other plot or situation can be more interesting other than wars.

2. Pixelbreeze

Pixelbreeze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm with Max this time...if Riftan's cold behaviour is because of war then he should clarify it directly...If you're distancing someone from yourself on purpose, you should tell the exact reason, without beating around the bush. Otherwise Max is gonna blame herself her whole life and can never heal from her scars.

And if the reason is his insecurities again then I'm greatly disappointed. I mean they had the same conversation several times and had arguements about the same thing again and again. And it's as if we're stuck at the same point. Max has confessed her feelings many times and I don't think there's any more words needed to convey more. If he's determined to push her away like this then I think they're better separated:blobpoliceangry: I guess that will hurt Max a little less...

One thing Max said in this chapter is very true. Riftam always believes what he wants to believe, whether it's true or not. He believed Max wanted to go to world tower for herself, and his behaviour was like this before he discovered her past too. He constantly compared her life in Anatol to her life in croix castle, the image of a noble lady was set in his head to the point that he never bothered asking her what she actually wants. Even in book 2 he clearly knew that Max wasn't raised lavishly in croix castle still he wished that she would better married to someone else, but him. I think it is very childish of him.

3. La_Cecilia

La_Cecilia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • Rftan cut a little his hair (who did that?)
    • Max reached Riftan and he scolded her for wearing "such a thin dress" (Jealous?)
    • when Max in response cried (in front of Elliot and Uslin) at Riftan "where the hell had you been all the night?" he grabbed her arm and said that he doesn't had any intention of giving " a spectacle every time" so they went to their room
    • back in their room, he explained the balto problems with the port and then riftan is very stiff and had an hardened expression until he asked "what do you mean going back to the tower?" and max reassured him she is not going back to Hogwarts , Riftan 's face soften for a while like he was relaxing a bit
    • Max said something like " i didn't mean to come back to Hogwart, is only Sedina who wants me with her, you know we become bestie ecc" but riftan stiffened again when she try to show him how the WT wants her because she is a very talented mage (maxi is trying to brag herself)
    • and then he said "go to the WT" and then added (so heartbreaking!!) "why do you want to go back to Anatol WITH ME? You only been in Anatol for only one year, you spent a much longer time in the WT" --> for me he wanted her to reply "because I LOVE YOU" o something like this, damn Maxi dont be stubborn and tell him what you feeel!
    • MAxi asked if he wants to be apart again and if he doesn want her to come back and he replied "since when my whishes are important to you? The only important thing is what YOU want" (ok here i'm crying, he soooo hurted... so i keep thinking he's tring to push her to hell him her true feelings...)
    • Then she become angry and replied that she already told him she want to stay by his side and his response was "i believe only in actions instradare of words" and that stuff of becoming a mage is the most important thing for her, let it be understood "more than him"
    • she angrily answered that the mage thing was for him, for US, to be by his side and help him and he doesnt even image how hard was for her to being apart from him, then he loose his composure for a while but he stiffed again like he tried to pretend to be emotionless
    • maxi losed control of herself and keep hitting his chest crying and saing he wants keep her away to prevent to be hurt again
    • the last action was by Riftan who, after staing still and silent for a long time roughly grabbed her arms.... and the end! *screaming inside*:eek:
    forgive please my bad english, if you find something strange is my italian mind o_O

The next chapter can be both heaven or hell.... for me it will be a turning point:oops:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  4. fvlli

fvlli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't wait for the next chapter I'm leaving

eidyia and La_Cecilia like this.
  5. ccjmax

ccjmax Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • Riftan: "What do you mean return to the tower?"
    • Max: "Sidina was just asking me to go back to World Tower with her...of course I said I had no intention of going back and turned it down on the spot.."
    • Riftan seems not impressed, Max felt unsecured and added: "The reason I volunteered to investigate the Pamela Plateau in the first place was to get out of the island as soon as possible. When this is all over, I'll go back to Anatole..."
    • Riftan: "Go to the World Tower."
    • Max stiffened, she couldn't understand what she had heard: "Wh..what does it means?"
    • Riftan: "It means literally."
    • Max: "I, I don't want to go back to the World Tower. We talked about it yesterday. I want to be by your side. Everyone wants to return to Anatole with you!"
    • Riftan: "Why do you want to return to Anatole with me? You were dragged to Anatole by me, and became my wife because of Duke of Croix. Being a wizard was the only choice you made on your own and insisted. After all, the time you spent at the World Tower was longer."
    • Max was heated: " Y, you think you know more about my heart than I do now?..I become a wizard because I wanted to be your strength. I went to world tower because I thought it was the best solution for US. Do you know how hard it was for me to make that decision?! Do you think you are the only one who suffered? I can't even think of how much it hurts. You are saying this because you don't want to get hurt again!"

It's a teaser of the conversation in ch.111 (and roughly translated..). There are many more subtle emotions and details in the latest chapter, it hurts to read but was a good read.

6. poppypop

poppypop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    grazie mille!!:)

Ska_D and La_Cecilia like this.
  7. rachiecalypse

rachiecalypse Member

Reading List:
    Link
    HMMMMMM WHO DID THE HAIR CUT

8. La_Cecilia

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK! maybe himself?
    But i cant understand why. I mean, In the middle of a night with a lot of work to do, bad news, complications... where did he find the time to cut his hair?

The most important thing: i feel like Riftan wanted to be cute for his Maxi :love:

eidyia, Ska_D, Maia123 and 8 others like this.
  9. Maia123

Maia123 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, ehhhh I’m sorry but what are the purposes of your questions? Do you want my point of view, or do you want me to convince that she looooves him so badly that she doesn’t realize she’s doing something wrong? I can answer, if you want, but my answers will not give you what you are looking for:
    1. She left to the Hogwarts in order to save Riftan’s duties…and also, she liked the idea of leaving to learn magic. I didn’t say that!!!! It was confirmed by Max on the last part of chapter 111 “I became a wizard…I wanted to be your strength. I don’t want be of any help to you (that’s the translation on Ridi), I learned magic! I went to the World Tower…because I thought it was the best way for us. I thought it was the best way for you and me, so that’s it!”. She did left in order to save Riftan’s duties, but she ALSO wanted to learn magic “and being his strength”. I should add that she forgot to consider his opinion/wishes as her husband (said it by Riftan)
    2. Ehhhh I don’t get this question: Why she hasn’t came back to Riftan? Or you are asking me why do I think that she will always bind to the Tower? If is that, it is quite simple: The World Tower won’t train wizards for them to leave the Tower and do whatever they want. Wizards are an investments to the Tower, so they have the power of provide wizards or decline them. That was the main reason of why the Duke declined to keep fighting against Riftan: The World Tower’s influence. However, that had consequences for Riftan and Max’s marriage because she will always bind to the Tower’s wishes. If her husband/knights, etc are not nice enough, the Tower will decline their consent for her to be at Anatol. They are free of that because they don’t care and they hire someone else out of the Tower, but if Riftan has to be careful because his wife has answer first to the Tower instead to their marriage…what about if, for some reason, they need her on Osiria or whatever and they decline her request of being at Anatol? Or what about if after few months or one year or so, the Tower is requesting her services for one year or more? All of that, it is possible
    3. I think you already know this answer. I don’t see the point of me telling you again. If you want to imply something though, I can tell you that Riftan already answered your question on chapter 111: “because I was the one who forced you out of there (Croix Castle), you maybe obsessed with my wishes. Think about it for a moment. What is more important to you?” And off course, we should remember that Riftan reminds her that being a wizard was the only thing she choose to be. So, yes, she wanted to leave the World Tower, but a part of her loves the recognition and study, etc…she loves Riftan, but he’s not her priority for now.
    4. I read something that mentioned that he was devastated. He cried so bad that even his rivals made fun of him. He was all the time taking care of her, and he was making sure that she would be fine at Drakium while he finish the war1. He also didn’t blame her at all. He was so concerned about Max that he was willing to resign to his future children in order to avoid Max not get into pain….yeah, I’m certain it was worst for him than her because he saw her in blood and almost dying (big trauma for him). Instead, Max (said by her) didn’t engage with her baby because she didn’t know about it until she knew about the miscarriage.

I hope that answer your questions

arianacalacday likes this.
  10. Oaktreepainter

Oaktreepainter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why did I physically feel the pain they were both feeling by just reading mere words on a screen? :blobsob: I'm so glad that they are finally openly trying to untangle some major knots on their relationship little by little. Chapter 111 seriously almost gave me a heart attack with all this tension, sadness and just heartbreak. I sencerely hope they talk it out :blobcat_rawr: But knowing how our author likes to ignite our couple's passion by quarreling first, there's 80% chance she's finally gonna give us that much awaited snusnu scene that will cure my feminine blue balls. :bloborz:::blobcatsmile::
    The last scene were Riftan grabbed Maxi's arms hard is already leading towards the right direction :blob_grin:
    Pls...God... No more c*ckblocks :derpyblob:

And...sorry if I wasn't able to put the Spoiler Tag in my previous post I don't know how...How do you put spoiler tags? I wanna share my fave scenes and dialogues without accidentally spoiling someone :facepalm:

11. La_Cecilia

Reading List:
    Link
    finger crossed!

is the + button
    or manually adding :
    "[SPOILER="title" blabla bla spoiler [/SPOILER]" without the "

Ska_D and Oaktreepainter like this.
  12. ccjmax

ccjmax Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a plus buttom (+) on top of the text block where you can type in the comment. Or you can simply use the code below

Oaktreepainter likes this.
  13. Oaktreepainter

Oaktreepainter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ccjmax and La_Cecilia like this.
  14. ccjmax

ccjmax Member

Reading List:
    Link

In my book, they have a romance relationship of 4 years: 1 solid year together, and 3 years of long-distance relationship maintained through letters.

I think it is because Max is the wife of a knight, she need to be strong. She will need to be able to oversees the estate in many possible occasions because her husband will be expedition quite often. According to my humble knowledge about history and things I learned from medieval shows, the lady is the head of the estate during the lord's absent. And why learning magic isn't useful to the wife of a knight? The very first magic Max learned was healing (and defenses) because constantly there are people inured in knighthood and there is only one healer in the fief.

Using what Riftan has said to himself in the novel: if Max is married to a well-born aristocrat, she would not have to get used to blood, and would likely live a peaceful life inside a castle. (But Riftan, Maxi would love to be useful in her life and help others, instead of being well-protected :blobhero:)

And I think you misunderstood my comment. I want Maxi to get her advanced training IN Anatole, so why would their close relationship continue to be one for a loooong time?? (Unless you imply that Riftan wouldn't want to stay in Anatol with Max and goes somewhere else...)

15. Maia123

Maia123 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looool nooo, the table didn’t turn. It is on the same position since always, the only thing is Riftan speak-up

It wasn’t a fight, RIftan was calm ALL THE TIME

If you truly want to know, I will summarize on this: there is popular sentence that claims “if you love someone, let her/him go. If she/he is coming back, she/he is yours…if he/she doesn’t come back, he/she never was yours”. He was calm, and probably after three years, he endured his pain. Now, he is just allowing her to leave because he realized that being a wizard was the only thing that she proves that she wanted to be. RIftan said something VERY important: “I don’t believe in people’s words. All I believe in is action” (chapter 111). He constantly sees Max’s actions in favour of her magic learning intentions, nothing else…nothing really on their marriage (only marriage, not Riftan’s duties) favour. So, now that he doesn’t feel THAT pain, he’s letting her go

Lilyinthesmalltown likes this.
  16. smita.g

smita.g Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really pray that Riftan is trying to just see what Maxi said earlier was true and she genuinely meant it even after the tower else why he has this sudden behavioural change. Plus did you read my thoughts on ch 111, I think that might be the case too.

acm likes this.
  17. Maia123

Maia123 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not 3 years long-distance relationship because there were barely 3 or 4 letters in total and only one side (her side). That’s not even taxes information. Regarding her strength as lady of Anatol, I agree with you. She will definitely provide more if she’s a wizard, but my concern is not regarding her knowledge, my concern is regarding her priorities. What is more important for her: being a wizard of being a wife? Because at the beginning of her marriage, she needs to focus on only ONE. Ideally, it would be to become a wizard after years of marriage and LIVING TOGETHER, and maybe children, and then she can focus on something else. They are a very young marriage to deal with soooo much distance. Not healthy for their marriage.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2021
  18. ccjmax

ccjmax Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it wasn't a mistake that Max left Riftan and headed to Nouri. It not only saved Riftan's fief, wealth, position, and also gave a new start to their relationship (Max could be confident and know how to love herself and love others, and Riftan could reflect on his over-obsession to Max).

Using Riftan's word, Max made the right decision for them. It is the right decision that Riftan would never be able to make because it's too painful.

Moreover, I don't consider it is wrong just because it is against Riftan's wishes or she didn't get his permission before leaving (Riftan wouldn't be able to make it even though it's right for them). The only thing is it hurts Riftan's feeling so bad (and it was miserable and painful on Max's end too)

So I don't think Max need to apologize for her leaving, she only need to reconciliate with Riftan and heal the wound in their relationship. In fact, in my opinion they both need to learn how to properly love and compromise in a relationship.

Ska_D, covertcookie, sahsh_00 and 6 others like this.
  19. Maia123

Maia123 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m sorry, I didn’t read your comments on chapter 111. Regarding RIftan “testing” Max, I truly don’t think so. He is giving her freedom. I was also shocked when he said “Go to the World Tower”. I knew Riftan wouldn’t agree and would move on from Max if she leaves, but I never thought that he was already giving her the choice of leaving. He was clear that Max’s actions only proves that she only wants to become a wizard. Her desires of being his wife are not clear enough and they are more like in second plate. He will not believe her until she proves him wrong

20. smita.g

smita.g Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Initially after reading the ch 111 spoilers, I thought that Riftan is being very stubborn. Throughout book 2 majority of times Maxi was trying to talk and make things right between them and Riftan constantly avoiding her to avoid any more pain.
    But after they both shared a room, Maxi made things extremely clear and Riftan kinda was nice to her the way he used to be in past.

Now after putting some thought,I feel more than asking maxi to follow her dreams or running away from her, I feel he's hiding something very crucial.
    Just think about it, Uslin had to come running from Anatol because of few things which Riftan asked him to search. And now I feel the Balto ship issue is a mere excuse which Riftan is giving to Maxi instead of revealing what was the major issue. I feel even Riftan's tone was some what different like he was when Duke trail scene was going on and Riftan kept everything hidden from Maxi.
    Similarly I feel Riftan is avoiding to disclose the uslin search fact because it's very dangerous and In order to keep Maxi safe he's trying to send her to the wizard tower in disguise of "following her dreams" and avoiding putting Maxi in danger. Idk I might be thinking too much but after reading that he's tone a little different I felt he's hiding something just to keep her safe else the way Maxi is all this while... she'll keep running after Riftan.

Ska_D likes this.