Discussion Politics?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cutter Masterson, Dec 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I know it’s a No. No. To talk about politics, but there should be a gray area right? Like for instance. Political conspiracies or jokes about the undead having voting rights. Right? Is it really just an over all blanket for anything deal with politics? I mean can we talk about who was the best ruler in the world or best President. IDK. It just seems to overboard.
    I mean. I can understand talking about present day candidates, but what about what if’s?
    Just venting. Don’t mind me

2. robsause115

robsause115 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ikr people take things way to seriously

Jojo775 likes this.
  3. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    The simple problem with this is line is not defined and not agreed upon by everyone. Aka something or the other will very well likely rub someone wrong or devolve into politics. As such the sensible thing for forums who dont want to deal with this shit is to be completely no to it as doing so ensures you are always within everyone's line of acceptability even if it denies some of the completely fine stuff.

Lurking likes this.
  4. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    We in the new world order of the snowflakes

5. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Vote for me for free plushies.

6. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Its the Age of influencers and Millenials

Jojo775 likes this.
  7. Obserwator

Obserwator [Gamer of Life] [Naturalist] [Universalist]

Reading List:
    Link
    My posts were deleted today because of politics...

8. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's how it goes here.

9. Obserwator

Reading List:
    Link
    And I only mentioned that in some country dead people can vote...

10. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats why I posted my question. Lol. You were talking to me and I thought it was a little overboard

11. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    If the undead has voting rights does that mean that they are full citizens as well? Would the entity that raised them be considered their legal guardian or their owner?

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn... This is hard to answer tbh, it's a complicated and very volatile topic, so... As a rule of thumb, you should avoid politics in any shape or form.

For example, this kind of thread is too much for NUF: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/poll-left-or-right-leaning.54859/

That said... I think the mods can give you some leeway depending on how the thread is made and what exactly it is discussing...
    This, for example, is probably fine. Maybe not the conspiracies, but the jokes about undead voting rights should probably be okay.
    This is more complicated. I can imagine this getting volatile and troublesome... At the same time, this is mostly a historical discussion, so maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe it would be passable...? Hard to be sure, I mean... Historical discussions could still get quite volatile after all.

That said, if you make a silly thread about who'd win a fist fight between Abraham Lincoln and George Washington, then I doubt the mods will lock it.

At the end of the day, political and religious discussion being banned isn't something that was decided upon because the mods want NUF clean of those topics, but because they are far too volatile and troublesome. People can get quite heated and the mood can get very rough... Personal attacks can easily start happening and... Well, it's just a huge hassle of a topic, it's usually not worth it to have the topic here.

My personal opinion on it, is that civilized discussions on the matter that don't try to actively discuss political/religious views, but instead go more on the theoretical end, are fine... But again, this is just my own personal view on the matter... And even that can get heated depending on the people involved.

In any case, if you really want to discuss something and is unsure about whether or not it's okay to make a thread about it, you can always PM a mod first. The mod will probably either tell you "no". Or they'll tell you that you can go ahead and do it, but be aware that they might lock the thread if they feel like it's getting too troublesome.

mir and Baldingere like this.
  13. Epythymy

Epythymy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the bottom line should be jokes/some fun content or 'as long as it's related to web novels'.

Even if we want to avoid it, CN politics, Copyrights, official translations and similar things will still affect our reading experience so it's normal to discuss it.

As for pure political stuff it's honestly unneeded on this forum, but it's also not like someone is forcing anyone to participate in such discussion.

I personally don't care about politics and would mostly ignore such stuff, but I'm not against looking at crazy people shouting at each other!

Let the world burn!
    [​IMG]

14. Obserwator

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it sounded too serious? Probably if I started like this: Once a point in time there was a great nation of freedom where even undead have voting rights...
    Well they are probably special citizens... hmmm If this special entity had full control over them wound it even matter how they would be treated?

15. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I was wondering about it too, after my comment asking how dead people could vote was removed. Voting procedure is tied to politics but the subject itself is administrative. Except if we started arguing about which way to count the votes is best for representation, Hondt or Imperiali, that kind of stuff. But even that kind of debate would stay theorical, and not turn into a party fight so it seems harmless.

16. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see why this was deleted.

mir and StuffedDuck like this.
  17. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I reported your post because you were implying California lets dead people vote (in order to win elections). You explicitly name dropped California, something you forgot perhaps. No idea why everything else was deleted, but it's what it is. If you didn't name drop California, it wouldn't be political imo, but once you specify a state (or party or political inclined group), it becomes so. If California was without a doubt proven to have significantly higher "dead voters" than other states, it would be a current event joke, but until that happens, it's a political joke. One that can mislead people who don't follow US politics, at that.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  18. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Fun Fact: The Whole World Runs on Religion and Politics.

19. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    You would be right. If I said California, but I didn’t. I implied California, but what I did say was Cali. Just in case someone wanted troll it

Deleted member 314196 likes this.
  20. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link