Discussion Why do 2 year olds have love interests

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tumtum, Dec 15, 2021.

?

Have you noticed this too?

1. Yes

69.2%
  2. No

30.8%
  1. Tumtum

Tumtum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know those novels where the protagonist is reincarnated/reborn/transimated in to the body of child? 3/5 times the love interest (why does a toddler have a love interest) is either an adult or has a 5+ year age gap. Like, why are these grown adults and teenagers in love with a literal child? And when the protagonist isn’t a toddler why is the love interest always 26+ years old? Doesn’t this happen more often in novels targeted towards women than in those targeted towards men? Why is that?

2. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't say that I've noticed such a thing. Most novels I've read with reincarnation/transmigration/regression/etc have the love interest being around the same age as the MC. The only exception is in cultivation novels where an age gap of centuries is pretty common.

When the love interest is around the same age as the child MC, some readers will complain about how the MC is actually already an adult inside so it's pedophilia. You just can't satisfy everyone.

otaku31 likes this.
  3. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple. The protagonist just attracts these kind of pedophile characters..

4. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Those people are called lolicon/shotacon. Also op, are they really love interests or the adults just simply adore the kids?

5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    huh?
    do you mean protagonist become child and like children around his or her age? fumu morally maybe wrong from our pov but depend on setting maybe not~ when on Rome do the roman~

if mc not child then love interest age 26++?
    rather than that imo most are around mc age, sure there maybe milf or adult women for male while adultmen or gentlemen? dilf? for women~ now if mc age around 20++ that really normal

as for love interest is it state explicitly or usual reader just ship with whoever they want hence dumb harem or reverse harem tag flood novel? just lit bit hint oh she or he seem like mc

dood what kind of story you read?

6. Tumtum

Tumtum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I’m sure. In one of the ones I’m thinking about the protagonist’s body is 3 and she has a kissing scene with character that is fifteen. In another one the protagonist finds out she’s a character in a novel and isn’t reborn. She’s 14 and her love interest is 26.

7. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read quite a few stories that do this... it's always the ones where the transmigrating MC goes into the body of a child or fetus where this happens. The more distubing part is the frequency of authors who write lines suggesting that the MC knew at first glance that the little girl was going to grow up to be a beauty. Like, wtf? Not to mention writing in scenes with romance and traces of sexual interest when both of them are not even teens (aka having started or gone through puberty).

*edit* it seems we're talking about two different genres, but similar things happening.

Tumtum likes this.
  8. Tumtum

Tumtum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no I’m talking about the ones where the protagonist be comes a child and has a love interest with a significant with their current body

When the character is 16+ the love interest usually has an 10+ age gap

The author writes like love interests like they’re love interests (this may just be a problem with the translator but idk) so I feel it’s safe to call them love interests

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    the loli trope?
    its trending or mainstream for reader on original language~ how it become a trend now that thing this cat cannot answer cuz dunno~ for the milf hmmm maybe cuz it assume milf as sexual target or ideal motherly figure to soothe the loneliness of original language reader~ eastern asia society kinda harsh ya know so this cat can get it~

10. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because you read more novels targeted towards women.

There's also an uncomfortable amount of novels out there where a reincarnated baby boy does his best to seduce his mother/wet nurse during breastfeeding... or goes out of his way to get any beautiful woman he meets to breastfeed him. I don't know if those are love interests or just there to make the protagonist look like a pervert, because I generally don't read the novels much past those scenes for some reason. :hmm:

Tumtum likes this.
  11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that this is a good argument for why stories shouldn't start with overly young protagonists. It makes way more sense for the characters' ages and other characteristic to be a good fit for the kind of themes and narratives that the author wants to tell. Setting up super young children with subject matter that doesn't mesh with their ages is not something that I've ever seen successfully executed.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I ever found one of those.

I do remember some novels where the MC was like... 5-8 years old and had a child 3 years older than her ending up falling for her, but like... Well, it was clearly a child's love, with like... Not much depth to it and stuff.

2 years old though? Yeah... Not happening. I'd probably drop a novel that did this kind of thing tbh.

13. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm reading a book right now that has a two-year old talking about how many girls he's going to have in his harem. It's not a very good book, and he's probably the worst thing in it. At least he's not the protagonist.

14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Oh... Wow...

Some stories truly amaze me in the weirdest ways~