Recommendations Female Protag in an Action/Adventure/Sci-fi/Fantasy Novel

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by crayole, Dec 17, 2021.

1. crayole

crayole Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking for novels with a female protagonist in an action-focused novel. I'm talking about stories that could have been put under the seinen category if not for the female lead (or are actually under seinen despite fml). I want novels where war/fighting is the main plotline and everything else is secondary. Bonus points if politics messes with the morality of "good" and "evil" characters.

I'm also not a huge fan of the cute-but-deadly fml trope, as in the OP lolis that are the protags of a lot of isekai novels (i.e. Nanomancer Reborn, The Girl Raised by the Death God Holds the Sword of Darkness in her Arms). There was too much focus on the comedic value instead of the fighting and the mc's were too marysue-like for my taste. Nothing against reading about op characters, but I want actual combat and realistic scenarios in terms of the selfishness of humanity and the political environment.

Romance is optional but if there is, BxG only please.

Preferably looking for CN novels but accepting JP and KR.

UPDATE: After being disappointed in either the quality or the novels or the lack of ruthlessness in many JPN stories, I will no longer be accepting recommendations of light novels. I feel like the cruelty of the so called ruthless/sadistic characters only goes skin deep and that their authors don't have much of an understanding of what being truly merciless to themselves and others mean. :blobpensive:

Examples of what I'm looking for:
    Crossing to the Future, it's Not Easy to be a Man
    the best example of what I'm looking for, a nice balance of war, politics and romance subplot; a pet peeve I do have is the whole fml-with-a-cheeky-spirit-beast trope though in this case it's not a spirit pet but same vibes, idk why so many CN novels have this but it gets on my nerves (side note: if you know any novels where the fml's spirit beast is as obedient as the ml's one, plz recommend them below as well)
    Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?
    I like how mc put her survival first before morality and humanity, she did everything it took to survive and didn't hesitate to torture herself in order to get stronger​
    The Girl Who Ate a Death God, and other works by Nanasawa Matari
    op fml with 0 romance; mc is goal-driven and the plot has heavy focus on war/politics; fml herself is in a very morally gray situation; very light comedy (fml is a foodie though this is also explained by her background)​
    Youjo Senki
    kind of similar to The Girl Who Ate a Death God but different setting and time period; mc is ruthless which I appreciate (also, who doesn't love a good psychological tag)​

Novels I have on my To-Read List (will update as I get recs):
    Doomsday Wonderland
    Reign of Hunters
    Free Life Fantasy Online
    Otome Survival
    Her Majesty's Swarm
    Azarinth Healer
    The Whisper of the Nightingale
    • Maiden of the Splitting Moon
    • Universe Tales: Virtual Log of the Fallen One
    The Last Science
    Reincarnated as a Fox with a System

Novels that didn't live up to my expectations for merciless!protag smh:
    Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Dooms day wonderland

holy fuck it was good

crayole likes this.
  3. crayole

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooooo I currently have this on my "waiting" list. Only 855/1976 chapters have been translated on webnovel :blob_teary: so I'm waiting for the chapter to accumulate more. Thanks for the rec tho!

4. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hasn't webnovel dropped Doomsday Wonderland for a while? I think it's already been a year.

5. crayole

Reading List:
    Link
    ...................... what:blobneutral:

Is there another website that's updating? Besides mtl?

6. Obserwator

Obserwator [Gamer of Life] [Naturalist] [Universalist]

Reading List:
    Link
  7. crayole

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you recommend the webnovel version or the light novel version? (tbh I have no idea why they make 2 versions of the same book and what the difference is)

8. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe:
    Youjo Senki*
    She Professed Herself The Pupil of the Wiseman*
    A Wild Last Boss Appear*
    OSO*
    BOFURI
    SAO Alternative - Gun Gale Online (IDK for novel's translation status, I've only watched the anime)
    Blunt Type Ogre Girl
    ½ Prince*
    Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
    May I Ask For One Final Thing?
    Kuro no Hiera Glaphicos

* Gender bender

crayole likes this.
  9. crayole

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks!

10. Lehiye

Lehiye Flopping Fish At The Market

Reading List:
    Link
    • Azarinth Healer (RR): Battle fanatic, martial artist with extreme rege. Shrugs off lost limbs as minor scratches.
    • The Whisper of the Nightingale (RR): reincarnated ex assassin.
    • Half Prince : fl playing as a hot male elf in game. She is a battle maniac again
    • Her Majesty's Swarm : transmigrated into the game she played as the Arachne queen, leading her army of cute little insects as she did in the game agains humanity.
    • Winter Rabbit in Wonderland : mc transmigrates into a test subject's body in a novel she read. She goes to overtake one of the underworld's executive's place by killing him, Rabbit's.
    Ps: reminder before u read Free Life Fantasy Online it's actually not rly an action. I'm currently reading it and it's like 70% cooking 20% killing monsters for ingredients 10% fighting to level skills.

11. crayole

Reading List:
    Link
    oooo thanks!

And I didn't know that about Free Life Fantasy Online. That's so disappointing :blobpensive:

12. Lehiye

Lehiye Flopping Fish At The Market

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither did I but I was like : "It's not that bad, and those illustrations ~ hehehe ~ too enticing.. so let's finish it!"
    It's good if you want something light and funny with less combat orianted plot. Good for a relaxing read. Be preaperd if u ever got to it : it may not have many ch translated but theyre HELLA LONG!

crayole likes this.
  13. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Allison (and the sequels)
    Seikai no Monshou / Senki
    Both series have two protagonists, a guy and a girl in both cases.

Forge of Destiny (and the sequel Threads of Destiny) - Original and is on rrl / sv

14. kkkat

kkkat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  15. UnknownOtaku

UnknownOtaku Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Genocide Online ~Playtime Diary of an Evil Young Girl~ very interesting novel, the female mc is evil and will not hesitate to kill

16. crayole

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks!

It does help. Thank u :blobxd:

Yeah I've heard about this one! Does mc stay cold and ruthless throughout or does she soften up for some ppl? Just curious.

kkkat likes this.
  17. UnknownOtaku

UnknownOtaku Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope... she kills just the same man, woman, child or elder as long as your human or player (it's a mmorpg novel )your life will be reaped
    edit: she is not cold she just heartless and loves killing and finds it fun to do just that

crayole likes this.
  18. crayole

Reading List:
    Link
    Great lol. I'm looking forward to it :blobokhand:

19. UnknownOtaku

UnknownOtaku Member

Reading List:
    Link
    have you seen:
    Nanomancer reborn I've become a snowgirl? (not a genocidal killer just badass and loves impale people in the ass with ice spikes; it's a habit when fighting)
    the spider queen (it's sci fi cultivation and yuri)
    Arpious of the planes (my personal favorite the mc is not a human and is ruthless, it's yuri also)
    Maiden of the splitting moon (one of the few cultivation novels I find interesting with female leads)
    Universe Tales Virtual log of the fallen one (I know you haven't seen this one as it isn't on any site on chrome only in the app Dreame; the chapters after #4 are locked though and need to be unlocked by using coins) anyway the mc is not kind as she WILL kill you just by looking at her wrongly (out of all the novels I've read this takes the lead)

crayole likes this.
  20. crayole

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read nanomancer but not the other ones. Not a big fan of yuri but I'll definitely check out the other ones.

P.S. is this a potential link to Universe Tales: Virtual Log of the Fallen One?