Recommendations Slow power ups with linear progression.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Meap, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We all know it, fear it or love it, plot armor will make the protagonist strong or decent strong at some point.
    Those that don't do that, miserably fail in my opinion.
    Naturally you could also design someone sinking into the depravity of weakness and wallowing in it, but I would rather not read such a thing.

I am speaking of slow power-ups, with linear progression and hopefully someone that starts out as weak.
    Examples are as following:

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/jujutsushi-wa-yuusha-ni-narenai/
    Short description, class transmigrates into another world. Everyone gets class, he gets bad class shaman.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/a-sorcerers-journey/
    Guy slowly becomes powerful in an interplanar waging powerhouse empire. Coupled with magic.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/super-dimensional-wizard/
    Slowest progression I have ever seen. Sadly no further translation past the chapter 1000 mark.

I don't want to read novels where the power level is moving at the speed of a river trying to create a canyon. I want the weak period to be short, the middle/growth phase to be long, and then something at the end.

I have read many novels, from Korean to Chinese and Japanese.

Best would be something with the view of reality that not everything is great from chinese webnovels.
    Left out the arrogant young master cliche (dumbing down everyone else).

Coupled with the Korean setting of something happening.
    Left out the usual hypocrisy of the protagonist being the goody guy and at the same time doing exactly the same thing the supposed villain does. (Often times it's hidden in the lines, I obsessed over Korean novels for a while before I realized that. Same with Chinese novels.)

Coupled with the Japanese world-building.
    Left out the passive not doing anything but getting dragged around by people the protagonist nor I as the reader really caring for.

Some honorable mentions are for example RI (Reverend Insanity), Lord of the Mysteries (at the end it kinda gets stale, beginning and the middle part were brilliant).

I realize that it seems like a wish list, but mixed up stories are also okay. Dumbing down, hypocrisy and passive with no aim is also okay.

Please gimme suggestions that do not exaggerate most of the negative points. I will simply reply with read it, if the story is familiar to me. Not giving any hints whether I dropped it, loved it or liked it.

Thus I will try and give the best possible and neutral statement for every participant. Perhaps I will find something with the help of you.
    I thank you in advance.

2. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    i think " he who fights with monsters " on RR fits what you want

3. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it.

5. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21188/forge-of-destiny - young street urchin brought to the sect because someone saw potential in her. She's trying to deal with her new situation and associating with people of much higher social status. Turns out she does have some talent so now she also has to deal with the extra attention. While a lot of stories with sects have the MC just getting a starter manual and then they spend all of their time doing their own thing to power up, that doesn't happen here. Aside from the outer sect beginner classes, this MC gets personal training from outer sect elders and resident sect Spirits. Some of these sessions were rewards for finding the "special opportunities" the sect provides (and maintains) within its massive region for those disciples who want more than to just coast along. The MC even uses contribution point to pay for additional tutoring from inner sect disciples. All of her skills and techniques are provided by the sect. The only fights so far are the sanctioned disciple faction conflicts and during some sect jobs.

7. Demon Empress

Demon Empress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. PeepoMrFool

PeepoMrFool Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kingdom's Bloodline
    Throne of Magical Arcana
    Tou can try Mao Ni novels.
    I recommend Pig Nerd novels.
    Douluo Dalu
    Yes, it will be better. If you like stories with large-scale good peacebuilding and well-written stories about wizards/mages, then I advise you to try reading further. But only about 600 chapters have been translated into English, I finished reading with MTL.

9. Demon Empress

Reading List:
    Link
    What chapter did it get better? And, can you give me spoiler, like how did mc progress as a sorcerer?

10. PeepoMrFool

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t remember exactly, but at the latest these are chapters with 130. In order to progress on the path of a sorcerer, you need to research knowledge and apply it in your practice and you need luck (aka the approval of the world’s will, I don’t exactly remember the rules of the wizarding world).
    goes through the study of the genome (body code) and the power of annihilation (for apprenticeship and a wizard of 1 level through the mutual destruction of fire and ice, the runes of which he examined with the help of the blood of talented students). It will be more interesting further, I do not want to spoil it.

11. Demon Empress

Reading List:
    Link
    can i jump straight to chapter 130? Very boring in the early chapters

12. PeepoMrFool

Reading List:
    Link
    Can
    when the protagonist does bullshit for love, don't be surprised or complain, just accept it as it is. Although this is more deeply described, but love itself in the novel is not spelled out very well imo.