Discussion Anyone else dislike seme protagonist?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SleepyTy, Dec 17, 2021.

1. SleepyTy

SleepyTy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk why, but any time I see the seme protagonist tag, any urge to read the novel almost completely dissapears, and it's strange cus when i first got into reading web novels, one of the first was a seme protagonist novel which is one this site ( https://www.novelupdates.com/series/stone-age-husband-raising-journal/ )but I hadn't found this site yet so I the place I did read it at, only showed the main genre(in this case it was either shounen ai or yaoi) and no tags (maybe it did and I didn't read em), I liked the novel and finished it all (the only reason I knew it was a seme protagonist was bc the after a fade to black the ML mentioned 'it' kinda hurting).

But for some reason, I just didn't read any more seme protagonist novels and even avoided them. I'm not sure exactly why I don't like it, maybe cus most the time the shous(I use gong and shou usually but seme is used on the tag) are smaller and cuter? Or cus I can relate more to them? Idk. As for reversible couple novels, I don't see to many but I am currently reading 2, (Saye and Lucky Coin).

Before getting into webnovels I was into webtoons and anime, but I rlly didn't see many seme protags.

Anyone else relate?

RAGA, Issis, Lissi and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hibye

Hibye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me! Me! Me!
    I didn't noticed it but I was also avoiding the seme protagonist tag. Dunno why. :blobhighfive:

SleepyTy and Iruma666 like this.
  3. SleepyTy

Reading List:
    Link
    It sucks sometimes cus ill read a summary that sounds interesting, then look at the tags,and just deflate;-;

It also sucks when the novel isn't actually seme protag but it for some reason has the tag. The whole reason I made this post was because I found a interesting novel but it has the tag, I saw the novel and wanted to check if still had it, it didn't. So I get to read the novel at least!

Issis, Novel Monster and Hibye like this.
  4. Hibye

Hibye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have that problem with the reversible couples or shounen ai with manly gay couples. Just the seme.:X3:

SleepyTy likes this.
  5. SleepyTy

Reading List:
    Link
    In perfectly fine with the manly gay couple tag also, quite a few of my fav have the tag.

6. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    I can accept seke but not seme protagonist. Probably because I'm a girl, I can't imagine being the gong. Hence I can't enjoy seme protag novels _( ;3 /

SleepyTy likes this.
  7. SleepyTy

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess this makes sense maybe that why I dislike it.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read so many cute small cliche mc shou and I got bored of repetition.
    Gong MC was like a freshener and made me interested to read wn again.

heyzhlpuff, Stiltskin and teagsho like this.
  9. blessedcruisader

blessedcruisader Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I know I'm a small bit late to this, but I was searching through forums and came across this, so thought I'd add my two cents to this.

I absolutely hate reading books where the mc is a shou/uke. Only read books were the mcs are reversible (this the ideal for me) or the mc is a seme. There's been times where I've read half a book, but when I find out the mc is an uke, I stop reading. To be quite honest I've only read 5 or 6 danmei (if that's even what its called, idk), due to this. Which is a shame, as a lot of the plots of these novels are quite cool and interesting. I know there are most likely a lot more, but these have not been translated yet, and new ones are being written all the time.

It may be because I'm a young gay man, and most of these novels are made and read by women. A lot of the time the mc is almost written as a stand in for a female, just with, you know, the male bits. To me a lot of these novels feel like when straight people ask gay couples, 'So whos the women?'. Both partners are men, and a lot of the time I almost feel insulted by this. Again, in the real world, of course there are gay men who are more feminine than others, and just because you're a bottom or top doesn't say anything about your masculinity or your relationship, but idk, it just seems like a lot of the novels are basically just straight romances, except the mcs private bits are changed. I may not be representing this fairly, and as I've only read a few of these novels, I might be misrepresenting them. But I've found, at least for me, that danmei novels are not made to be read by a gay man as myself.

10. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I understand this. I also had this thought.
    I dont like weak (women), so I dont rly like reading BL when one of character (usually shou) is portrayed weak, timid and easy to bully.
    That's why I look for BL with strong independent shou (either before or after rebirth/etc) and gong mc.

11. eeeee

eeeee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think i can relate… but the reason i stay away is bc when the seme is the mc, i’m scared of the mindless zombie harem that will follow 90% of the time.

12. Youmu Alf

Youmu Alf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tags can change the mood

13. Reaper.ChaosKamifumetsu

Reaper.ChaosKamifumetsu ‖True Chaos‖Twisted Prodigy‖True Energy‖Gamer God‖

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup that's right!
    Like, sometimes you find the plot interesting but then find harem genre tagged to it.
    All the interest is lost! Waah!!!
    Its the same with seme tag too.:blobsob:

Issis, SleepyTy and Tech is life like this.