Discussion ml needs therapy

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by eskarleh, Dec 22, 2021.

1. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    look, I love reading these romance novels but they sure do get me questioning shi. the ml's are always mentally ill and the mc is surprisingly their cure as if the years of trauma they had was nothing. so far 90% of the novels I've read the ml was suddenly healed by the mc. the novel fanatic side of me is like proceed, but the rational side is like ayo? this man needs therapy what the fuck he doing. mans literally did crime and the author is like "no, it's okay because he's mentally ill so it's excused".

someone offends the mc/ml? ml breaks their legs or assassinates them. a baby accidentally throws up on the mc/ml? executed. the wind blows in the wrong direction? earth is cancelled. istg the hills these bitches climb to commit crime for the pettiest thing and to excuse it with the trauma they endured. they gotta stop relying on the mc and start finding an actual therapist to vent.

but see, ig this is why these novels are my guilty pleasures. they're like telenovelas and despite how shitty it can be they sure are addicting. it's like la rosa de guadalupe, horrible but addicting.

and i hope this didn't come across as rude, i just find it hilarious especially as someone who is mentally ill and sees how these mls act.

hoping to find a novel where they finally get the ml the therapy he deserves.

mir, flowers_bloom, Nyaa.23 and 10 others like this.
  2. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Off topic . But I had a good laugh reading this post. Lol

mir, flowers_bloom, flannan and 9 others like this.
  3. hansora

hansora Someone Who Seeks Fluff & Heartwarming Stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha I understand it :blobcatblush: I have to shut down my IQ when reading this kind of books but, hey, they are also my guilty pleasures

But, I also crave for a more rational storyline like, at least the MLs would take some time (even though not years) before he would slowly change. I think Guide to Raising a Sick Villain is a good example because the ML didn't instantly warm up to the FL

4. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    the ml slowly changing is also good cause at least it's not instant like the mc shows up and suddenly they see rainbows, trauma who? there was one time i finally found a ml who was seeking therapy, but unfortunately the mc came and was like there's nothing wrong with you (the mc disappointed me heavily on this one, I dropped the novel and forgot the name of it)

5. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree, lol. :blobmelon:

It's the truth that many ML/FL or even the MC need a therapist to help them improve their mental health. Even though I enjoy the drama in those novels but sometimes, I want to knock sense into MC and get them out of that abusive relationship.

Recently, I read a modern setting novel (isn't BG) that both MCs go to therapy after they realize there's something wrong in their mind. Well, this guilty pleasure is a dog blood ocean, though.

Anyway, therapy is a sensitive topic even nowadays because many people believe that you're mad if you meet a therapist, especially in Eastern. But slowly, they start accepting that anyone can have a mental illness and need help.

mir, northerner, aintg and 1 other person like this.
  6. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There has only been one BL where the ML went to get therapy for being attracted to a child

7. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    im sorry, but AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    in reality, man should've been cuffed.

i keep forgetting about it being a sensitive topic. i live in a hispanic household so therapy isn't mentioned much but when it is then you're a lunatic. fortunately, it wasn't talked much so my views on therapy was influenced by other factors. since therapy is very encouraged in my area a lot of mental wellness tips and advice is always posted, has been since elementary school.

and what's the name of that novel (i'm currently in a bl modern setting phase)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    aintg and Dahna like this.
  8. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's this one ML who stopped MC from visiting therapist after ML found antidepressants and sleeping pills in MC's room. I was so angry!? Good thing that the therapist checked on MC's workplace because he was worried MC didn't come for half a year

northerner, aintg and Baldingere like this.
  9. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    bro, the reason therapists are going into unemployment in these worlds is because MC is one-stop-cure for all. Just blink a few times, say a genric line which was probably said by someone else but they didn't listen to it, and poof! It's like one of those acne ads. One wash and you're gonna be reborn and have automatic flower filter in your life.

wait what? for real? which fucked up novel is that?
    P.S I hope the therapist rips ML a new one and not ML's jealous whiny bi-chy ass throwing the therapist out

mir, northerner, aintg and 2 others like this.
  10. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops, lol, I misread the thread subtag; the novel I read is GL, isn't BL. sry tho :blobpats:

11. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    it's fine, gl is going to be my next phase after I finish reading all the bl that interests me

AYO? istg there are some toxic mls out there that make me wanna fight.
    ....what's the title

EXACTLY! see, this is why i love to read cannon fodder rebirths because they're the first to point out this shit. they see that shit and are the first to say ayo that shi weird, i'm out.

mcs being a cure and everything is suddenly sunshine and rainbows are the ones i try to avoid. it reminds me of the "i can change him" and the "look it's me, you won't hurt me" cringe i use to read on wattpad before I discovered actual good writing. the mc comes and suddenly all the people who were there trying to help ml (for years and have done their best) are now useless garbage, and when these people get mad because the mc was the sudden cure and their efforts were fruitless they get their necks snapped by the ml. such tragedy.

mir, northerner and Baldingere like this.
  12. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. I like novels where MC gets tortured and valiantly gets through it and achieves happiness. But it sucks that most novels make the torturer the ML. I like the MC, but I don't like the torturer, who cares about that sh*thead, just throw him away at the end of the book. Instead, the author writes some bs about their happily ever after when ML convinced MC that he "loves him" and is "reformed". Why are you doing that to MC, get the torturer away from him, he has no place in the happy ending, he's ruining it all!
    The whole reason I'm reading is to feel satisfaction when MC succeeds after all the heartbreaking torture and yet you take that away from me!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    northerner, Taruna and eskarleh like this.
  13. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    EXACTLY! see, this is why i love to read cannon fodder rebirths because they're the first to point out this shit. they see that shit and are the first to say ayo that shi weird.

mc's being a cure and everything is sunshine and rainbows are the ones i try to avoid. it reminds me of the "i can change him" and the "look it's me, you won't hurt me" cringe i use to read on wattpad before I discovered actual good writing. the mc comes and suddenly all the people who were there trying to help ml (for years and have done their best) are now useless garbage, and when these people get mad because the mc was the sudden cure and their efforts were fruitless they get their necks snapped by the ml. such tragedy.
    AHHHHHHH YESSS!!!
    there's always a 60-70% chance that the ml is the torturer. in rebirths, the cannon fodder ends up forgiving them, but I'm like? uh didn't they kill you, destroy your whole family, and killed off generations over the smallest thing before your rebirth? like hello? since when was this excused?!? get away from the ml!

my favorite ones are the ones where the mc ends up with another cannon fodder and they both end up torturing the ml and original protagonist together. mmm, true love. gotta be petty back cause that shi don't slide.

Taruna and Baldingere like this.
  14. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    I love edits where MC says this and the next moment the scene pans out to MC being mentally fucked because of the guy or ends up in hospital or with bleeding arm because ML had a bad temper lol

This is genric KR romace novels where FL even FORGIVES THE FCKN ML!!!
    CN novels also has those but I find actual good fluff also in CN so I wont slight that lol

Baldingere likes this.
  15. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    i stopped reading kr romance novels because they always do this. they struggle so much and always choose the torturer despite the second ml being the one to help them out and give them the mental stability they deserve. at least the cn ones do have fluff and back it up by saying 'nah look this is before the bad shit happen, the mc has the trauma of the past life but this is a new life where the mistakes can be fixed' and they can also try to avoid the ml (although when they do try to avoid the ml the ml seems to be attracted to them and mf starts to get possessive)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    mir and Sutad Aatma like this.
  16. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    I especially love the novels where there is a new ML and he fucks that possessive turd and FL also does not take his shit anymore.

mir, Baldingere, Taruna and 1 other person like this.
  17. eeeee

eeeee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i’ve read so many romance light novels with trauma and only 1story thus far had mention of proper therapy. it was very nice to read~

but to play devil’s advocate, it wouldn’t be fun to read about a character who is sitting in an office just talking with a therapist to solve all their inner problems.

hmm i just want to throw this info out as a krn novel enthusiast~ (i read a lot of raw)

under the umbrella of korean romance genre there is a huge sub genre of ‘regretful ml.’ when i say huge… it’s ginormous. This sub genre, goes hand in hand with another particular subgenre of ‘struggling mc.’.

in literal translation krn ppl say the mc rolls (in the dirt) a lot. it’s when the author makes the mc suffer nonstop through the entire novel haha.

In these type of novels, readers will grip onto these stories for the ending ‘soda.’ When ppl drink soda there is the very cool prickly refreshed feeling due to the carbon. i think many chinese ppl call this face slapping. in korea they call it drinking soda.

the readers want to see the ml wallowing in regret and suffering to feel refreshed. sometimes this role is given to the sub ml. or it can belong to the ml and the ending is tragic haha. or there is a long plot of ml regretting and not being able to do anything bc everything was their own fault. In this genre the ml being a jerk is a necessary part of carrying out the story.

There are a lot of fans or ppl like me that make sure to check the genre so I don’t end up reading these type of novels. It’s just unfortunate that oversea ppl don’t have this genre tag to stay away like me. haha

but ya don’t hate on krn authors since it’s just a widely loved genre in korea. To be fair authors will always tag this aspect of the story in the genre section to give fair warning that it will be that type of novel.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    mir and Baldingere like this.
  18. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    that's the best. whenever I see this happens I'm kicking my feet out of excitement

I used to mainly read krn villainess novels and saw this happen a lot. I enjoy seeing the person who caused the trauma suffer (it's the best, and I've read a couple that did this beautifully). I love reading these novels but after reading too much of the same thing I got tired of it and just decided to stick to reading action krn novels. I didn't know it was a genre on it's own though, thanks for telling me.

mir and eeeee like this.
  19. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally unrelated but if you like this, read QT Breaking a Couple in Every World. I love the concept! MC is basically supposed to go to different worlds and help the supporting character and stop him/her from falling in love with toxic lead!

20. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    ooo sadly i'm only reading bl atm, do you know any like this but bl?