Question Is there a good LN with the summary type title in Jpn?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kaylee, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I read below qoute and wanted to ask but afraid of hijacking the post since it's not relevant with the original post. Sorry I quote you @Bachingchung
    There were posts about long title of Jpn LN and I understand the reason. It's not about that.

My question.
    Is there a good story/ln with the summary type title in Jpn?

The good or popular LN I've read and known donot have such summary type title. They are pretty to the point title.
    Several of them are
    Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen
    Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami
    Mushoku tensei - isekai ittara honki dasu
    Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
    Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?
    Isekai Tensei Soudouki
    The Saint’s Magic Power is Omnipotent (LN)
    I Was a Sword When I Reincarnated
    The New Gate
    Goblin Kingdom
    etc

I have yet saw or read one with long title that is popular and good. Or it could make me want to read them.

2. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of the novels you listed are summary type titles. Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken, Kumo Desu ga Nani ka, I Was a Sword When I Reincarnated and possibly Honzuki no Gekokujou... are all titles that explain their premise. At least to the same degree as the web novel from the thread you quoted. Honzuki no Gekokujou only has ~2 words less in its Japanese title according to the title you listed.

And yes, there are good novels with longer titles. Off of the top of my head, I remember Clearing an Isekai with the Zero Believer Goddess..., Welcome to the Classroom of the Elite, I'm a Highschool Boy and a Bestselling..., Kimi to Boku no... and Naze Boku no Sekai... as having titles that explain their premise.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Dr_H_16 likes this.
  3. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    The first title on your list especially makes your complaint sus, but yes. Title length doesn't have much to do with how good or bad a novel is. If you understand the reason for long titles, then you should understand that it doesn't bear on the author's skill as an author, but on their marketing skill.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  4. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I was wrong in wording my sentences.
    Long summary title in my understanding is the one summarizing the whole idea of the story. Yes, some of my example before were also long title, but they're not the whole summary of the story. Hmm....Is this clear?

The summary type title should be 'Subject is Blabla, then Blabla, so Subject blabla'. Like below example
    - I, Who was Sent to Another World, will Start to Support the Daily Life of the Magecraft Battalion Full of Beautiful Oneesan ~The Daily Life of Oneeshota Harem~
    -I Was Supposed To Be A Queen, But I Was Accused Of Being A Fake Saint, So I Fled And Was Doted On By The Crown Prince, But I Hope You’ll Be Happy There Too
    -She’s a Saint Who Was Banished for Being a Late Bride, but She’s Being Spoiled to the Fullest by the Count Who Found Her
    -When I Was Reincarnated as a Saint, I Ended up Being Befriended by a Young Dragon. She’s a Troubled Child Who Uses Cheats To Become a Warrior, but She’s Cute, and I Want To Live With Her

On the contrary,below, are not the summary type or long title imo. I still need to read the summary.
    -Clearing an Isekai With the Zero-Believers Goddess – the Weakest Mage Among the Classmates (LN)
    -The Forsaken Saintess and her Foodie Roadtrip in Another World

I shall try your reco there.

I didnt want to complain nor did I complaint. Sorry if that came out like that for you.
    I only want to know good novel with such title.

5. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is, its sounds shorter if its in japanese.

If you use the english translation of the title, it becomes stupidly long. Unlike old ones like Overlord.

As for the long titles that has good story telling... I really havent read much of them tbh. Since I didnt really pick up anything new from JP. I mostly read old translations and webnovels, and currently reading mostly webtoons and manga.

Kaylee likes this.
  6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I don't think there is a direct correlation between the length of a title and its quality, I find that pretty much all of the books with the super long titles are terrible. To be fair, Japanese webnovels in general are terrible, but these ones seem to be especially bad. I have a taste for certain kinds of bad books so I actually appreciate these super long titles because they're really good at telling me what not to waste my time on.

Fluffums and Kaylee like this.
  7. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I 100% agree, though I'd remove "Japanese" because my experience with webnovels is that most of them are terrible in any language. In my opinion, rather than being especially bad, the ones with super long titles tend to be much more generic? They want you to know exactly what's going on when you start reading, and they won't give you any unexpected twists, and that's OK. There are a lot of tired people out there who want predictability. Different strokes for different folks, and so on.

Most of them are bad of course, but that's just because most web novels in general are bad. The problem you're probably having with these is that they spoil the storyline in the title but don't add any twists, so they're just more boring for you than the usual bad novels.

Kaylee likes this.
  8. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure you'd expect amateur fiction to be bad in general, it's just that the Japanese webnovels are way worse than the expectation. It feels like these writers are so bad that they don't even understand basic concepts like descriptive writing and dialogue! You wouldn't see such sheer lack of writing skills in other languages (or even in regular Japanese fiction). I'll still read Japanese webnovels despite their quality because at least some of these have some interesting ideas that are worth checking out. The problem with the books with super long titles is that these titles are quick to reveal the lack of cool ideas.

Fluffums likes this.
  9. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering Jpn's market for LN, it's not strange to find all kind of good and bad authors. Maybe those with the lack of writing skills,etc are just trying to curb their chances or their otaku-self. It can be seen with how they follow the trend.

10. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    The domination of otaku writers in the Japanese web novel industry is the biggest culprit. A lot of their favorite books are written by people with no writing skills so writing skills aren't valued. If an otaku writer is trying to improve, he'd talk about things like figuring out ways to make his female characters cuter, or what kind of cool ideas he has for new powers, and other inconsequential things like that. You wouldn't expect him to spontaneously start talking about doing more in terms of setting up theme, or using dialogue in interesting ways even though these are the writing elements that actually matter.

On the other hand, people who emulate good writers will be much more likely to care about being good at these basics. Sure their books might still be terrible, but they'd try to achieve a bare minimum of quality.

Kaylee likes this.
  11. DustySpiral

DustySpiral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's see... although "Death Mage that doesn't want a fourth time" is kind of summary-ish I don't think it's long enough to fit your request.

Or rather it appears that your request is a good novel whose title describes in detail what happens in the first couple chapters. I think the main issue is that nearly all of the super-long, multi-step summary titles are so bland they felt the need to summarize the first several chapters to give you a reason to look at them instead of any other otaku pandering title. Although there are good pandering titles the better titles can get away with describing the gist of the series.

-------

EDIT: WAIT, I FOUND ONE!!!!

I forgot about this one because the title is misleading and is different in every new format: ""I Was Told That I Wouldn’t Be Able To Defeat The Demon Lord And Kicked Out Of The Hero’s Party, So Now I Just Want An Ordinary Life In The Capital"
    The manga is "DO YOU THINK SOMEONE LIKE YOU COULD DEFEAT THE DEMON LORD?".. which is also very misleading.
    The official English translation of the novel is titled "ROLL OVER AND DIE: I Will Fight for an Ordinary Life with My Love and Cursed Sword!" ..which.. well, at least it's accurate-ish I guess...? If only they had a title that was like the manga title without being misleading. >.>

Thankfully the novel is much better than the author's ability to come up with titles. I read up to.. I think end of Vol 3 before the fan translation was taken down (official still on vol 1), and would recommend it. It's adventure/fantasy that periodically swerves into horror as the MC learns more about what's actually going on. I don't just mean aesthetically, I mean the book occasionally feels like you're reading a legit horror novel every now and then. The novel takes awhile before the first horror sequence though.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Kaylee likes this.
  12. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. I wanna know is there good story in those titles.

Read The Death mage...Fourth Time manga, it's quite nice, at least he's not op.

Havent tried Roll over, will see. But why the English title is very different?

13. DustySpiral

DustySpiral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea, but the original title is very misleading since it implies there will be significant slow life stuff. The English title implies the MC is going to have to frequently struggle against overwhelming odds and all she initially has going for her is a cursed sword and a waifu (it's yuri) which is a far more accurate impression of the overall series.

Also the party doesn't just "kick her out",
    One of them sells her to a slaver so we start the plot with the MC in a cell awaiting disposal with some other low-value 'products'.
    He claims the enslavement a group decision, but that's total BS. The other party members thought she made it back home just fine.

Kaylee likes this.