Is Lord of the Mysteries Deep?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by sleepycaptions, Dec 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. sleepycaptions

sleepycaptions Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m on chapter 127 and dying at the story pace but I don’t want to completely give up seeing how damn revered this novel is. However I’ve learned my lesson reading Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint - some of the greatest stories are long af. I like that ORV seemed like a slightly above average action adventure novel but in the end had a much deeper meaning (imo).

So is LoTM the same? In the end will I get a good, heartfelt message and interesting themes or is the novel just really well praised because it’s a cool novel with good plot twists and solid world building and power systems? Nothing wrong with that but it’s not really what I want to read 1000 chapters of.

2. starvedforwords

starvedforwords Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    option two, easy. not much in the way of "good, heartfelt message" there, tbh. I would argue that it still has interesting themes tho

sleepycaptions likes this.
  3. sleepycaptions

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn :unsure: thanks for answering

4. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why are you dying at the pace ? too slow? too fast? changes too much?

Anyways, it's certainly interesting and one of the "deep"er novels that are fan translated, but author had to rush the end because he wasn't sure if the story would end up running afoul of the new censorship measures that they implemented, and it def shows (feels rushed at the end).

5. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Option 2 but the pacing picks up soonish?
    The first 100 chapters are slow ish.....

6. Epythymy

Epythymy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best part of LoTM is from ~c20 till ~c850. If you don't really like it now you shouldn't expect any improvement in the future either.

LoTM's ending was completely wasted.

7. sleepycaptions

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m mostly struggling to connect with the main character, and I get frustrated going from the interesting plot lines (the gray fog, the clown, the diary entries etc) to the more annoying ones like Triss and the mundane family life. I keep reminding myself that it all plays a bigger role in the story later, and it’s understandable to read for world building purposes but it really slows my reading pace .

Sigh not happy to hear about the end but I guess I’ll push through for now

So I’ve heard :cry: I’m going to just push through on my reading anyways in the hopes it catches my attention by the end of volume 1

8. Epythymy

Reading List:
    Link
    That's actually the worst part of LoTM. All these side characters, foreshadowing, and a shit ton of fillers/infodumps didn't play any role in its ending. They are nothing but fillers

9. sleepycaptions

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh? Well shit and here I was using that assumption as a means to continue reading

10. Occulus

Occulus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's this about censorship measures? The author had the ending planned from several years out. The reason why Arc 1 felt rushed to people was because the antagonist did the smart thing and attack the protagonist ASAP unlike your average antagonist which waits for the hero to defeat his 4 generals and level up before fighting the demon king. As the author noted, he couldn't really come up with a way of letting Klein slowly level without making the antagonist look completely incompetent.

That's untrue though? Triss does show up again in future arcs and some of those events help Klein meet certain people or learn certain things.

My recommendation is to read to at least chapter 213, which is when the first "arc" ends. It also contains a pretty heartfelt moment which might be what you're looking for given you mentioned Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint. If you're not into it by then, Lord of Mysteries probably isn't for you. There's a lot more fights, planning, and ranking up after that as Klein starts going deeper into the mystical world. Also, I would take any comments about the ending with a grain of salt since the story isn't over yet. This is only the first out of a trilogy so there are naturally going to be some plot lines that are still hanging.

Delerator likes this.
  11. Epythymy

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, some events were indeed interconnected, but not ending.

Not much of a spoiler but still
    Author basically introduced 3rd party villain and that's about it. Their showdown is the ending. It wasn't foreshadowed, it wasn't planned, it wasn't a satisfying battle either.

At first LoTM was foreshadowing this dude sitting on the throne as the ultimate villain of Klein's path. But what happened to him? He was reduced to a useless side kick who died in a ditch off-screen.

12. Occulus

Reading List:
    Link
    So I think there's some misplaced expectations.
    Error was always meant to be the main antagonist of Book 1. He's the main contender against Klein for the LotM position and is a very fleshed out character with both intelligence and wit. As for LotM, although he shows up a little bit and took the combined effort of pretty much everybody to take down, the true battle will take place in Book 2. So complaining about him being off screened doesn't make sense when the real battle hasn't even happened yet. Hell from what we know so far, their fight is going to be so intense that it'll take the majority of book 2 which will make it Klein's toughest battle.

Delerator likes this.
  13. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know why you bring up Arc 1, I was referring to the end of the story itself. I don't quite remember which one, but one of the new censorship measures had a bunch of authors either rush to end their story or abandon it, and I clearly remember people on novel updates speculating if the LOM ending was rushed because of this.

Delerator likes this.
  14. Occulus

Reading List:
    Link
    LotM is the first of a 3 part story so the "end of the story" hasn't been releaed yet. And there wasn't any censorship speculation. What was happening was Qidian (or some other publisher) changing how novel ownership, contracts, etc. so some authors decided to kill their novels early and then write on another platform instead of having Qidian take ownership of their work. Or something along those lines, it's been quite a while. It has already been proven that Cuttlefish is not one of these authors since he's already contracted to write the followup book. This would also disprove any censorship theory assuming there was one since he wouldn't be writing a continuation if he planned on rushing the ending.

Delerator likes this.
  15. sleepycaptions

Reading List:
    Link

Aaah okay thanks for clearing that up, I’ll do that just that

16. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    orv is my all time fav tbh

17. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... The ending leaves a lot of questions unanswered. The book doesn't only use Lovecraftian and SCP Universe elements, it also ends like an SCP article. The author did say it's a trilogy so hopefully, the upcoming sequels will enlighten us.

18. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    are you talking about how embers ad infinitum is set in the same world? I don't think that counts as being part of the same "story". Most serial stories have more than just the world/setting connecting them. And considering that a couple hundred chapters in and we've still only been getting super thin hints about what may or may not have happened after the end of LOM, I don't think we'll be getting a comprehensive satisfactory look at the conclusion of the 1st "arc".

you might be right about the qidian ownership thing being the "controversy". I don't remember it very well, all I remember was being annoyed that a bunch of good stories were being dropped. I think maybe combined with the seemingly rushed ending of the 1st "arc" of LOM, I might have seen a few conspiracy posts suggesting that.

19. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty straight forward for me, the mysteries weren't mysteries anymore for us who've had read it. Maybe if you've read it while it was still in progress, you might agree with the old reviews. However, even I could barely agree with those hyped reviews anymore. I could barely recall any huge twists and events, I did enjoy it and would still recommend it.

20. Occulus

Reading List:
    Link
    No, Embers and Lord of Mysteries are two separate stories as far as we know. What I'm saying is that Lord of Mysteries 2 is slated to be released in Spring 2023 and will be a continuation of the story.

Delerator and ANonMouse like this.