My take on streaming music's.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by xiazixin, Dec 11, 2021.

1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay I owns a media server as I consume a lots of movies, and those take hundreds of gigabytes. Though ironically as I am. I subscribe to music services like Spotify and tidal for about 5 years. (yes I use both). Although I do use a dedicated music players.
    Recently I change from a huawei to an OPPO from 128gb of storage to 256gb.
    Since I have already have over 10TB of video media's I don't see the point of streaming music's anymore.

Not that I listen to thousands of different songs anyway, it's better to just rip CD or p2p for the songs I want to listen to. It's just the same Playlist on Spotify and tidal anyway.
    But I do miss out on the recent release of some artists I follows, as I won't get an update on new albums.
    I'm still attempting to make the change from streaming to offline.

What are your thoughts on music streaming?

2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I download all my music.

I have never seen a good reason to use any music streaming service as they are incomplete in many ways. If I am at home I will use youtube on my pc to listen to music, but most of the time when I am outside I just listen to music that I put into my micro SD which I also have backed up on my external.

Phone aren't perfect and thing can go wrong and you might have to factory reset the phone so music will probably be lost so I keep it backed up. I think the only positive about streaming music is that you don't have worry about losing it some of the music or mixes I have are no longer available on youtube so if I lose them then they are gone for good.

I have been downloading music since Napster was a thing on AOL 5.0 I also have BT speakers around the house that connect to my phone when I want to listen while I exercise or I am cooking or when I am throwing a party it's very convenient.

xiazixin likes this.
  3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat have limited space so kinda picky what to save

streaming is like radio..... yes modern approach of listening music on radio~ it give general idea what popular or tending on certain time, maybe discover new stuff from coincidence or luck or mix of them~
    it have more collection tho~ thanks to internet for that~

xiazixin likes this.
  4. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I don't have good memories of TF(micro SD cards). I only use full size SD cards with no adapters.
    I use to own a few 2GB TF cards with SD card adapter and those ended up horrifying tragedy. I swear never in my life am I going to touch TF cards again.

Hence I spent triple the price in buying my premium SDHC and I don't trust any SDXC as they have not proven by time yet. (and too large for accidents) Even though I usually cheapout on most things but I just don't trust SD cards. Those things melt under the sun. Melt on hot laptop, prone to water dirt and worst thing, lock broke.

SD cards is a bad invention in the tech industry.
    And TF(microSD) card is the worst.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  5. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I know how bad they can be, but it's what most phone use Micro SD cards and they have shit reliability, but the good thing is I can get them for very cheap even free sometimes they practically give them away in my job. I have a stack of 128gig even 256gig and 8-9 500gig ones.

My current micro SD has been in my phone for 3 years works fine, but yea I get it. I don't like apple phones they clearly should have already added expandable storage, but they continue to drag their ass on the rug and they lie about it being a security issue because their phones keep getting jailbroken even with out it I have even seen a guy install android on an apple phone it had a bunch of issues, but the point is their phones are not secure as they say they are.

My other problem with Iphone is video and photo take up a lot of space mostly video, but you can only buy more cloud space which is a ripoff and they don't even let you connect your phone to your pc the same way android does so that you can use your PC as storage. it's dumb

back to topic

All SD cards I have tried are terrible some more than others, but yea they could have easily changed to another system that is more reliable.

I also used a media server at one point, but most media electronic have built in BT or air play it's just easier to use that then turn on my computer and use it as a media server and than get it to connect to my tv ect.

xiazixin likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never even tried using a streaming service tbh.

Most songs I hear are either anime songs, touhou remixes, or some weird niche stuff so like... I dunno if those are even available on streaming service and the like? Would spotify have a Utaite cover of a Vocaloid song? Would it have a 10 years old remix from a small doujinshi circle of a touhou song? It's like... It probably won't have it?

So I usually just download whatever song I want from youtube and listen to it on my PC. I like that streaming services will support the artist and whatnot, but I didn't have the money to afford using any sort of paid service for most of my life... And now that I do have it, my tastes don't really fit with what's available?

I think it's nice that streaming services in general exist, but I don't think song streaming is useful for me~

xiazixin likes this.
  7. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    mm... I don't really listen to random song. Not even the top 40 chart of my country or US/UK ones. Since my kind of music is a little bit different compared to the masses, in that I prefer to listen to instrumentals instead of songs with vocals, spotify don't accomodate my taste fully. I use spotify without subscription though for some things like Hiromi Uehara and yoko kanno.

Anyway, if I remember, you have specialized sound equipment? Then isn't spotify a downgrade compared to FLAC audio file?

xiazixin likes this.
  8. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    True, most of the times I use a dedicated player. But some times I use a phone too. But storage capacity of my previous phone is limiting hence I subscribe to Spotify and tidal.
    When I'm outside, I only use portable ES9038Q2M at best, so not much difference. Based on my experience spotify is a bit better than tidal hifi. Although tidal is FLAC, the loading is horrible.

9. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use streaming music services occasionally if I want to do some exploration as well as seeing if artists I listened to came out with new stuff. Usually 2 hours max though, because that's pandora's algorithm starts giving me a string of songs I'd never listen to. Usually download music, esp since some places don't have access to internet one way or another. I don't have a lot of space on my phone though so I split my music into categories and basically have some categories on my phone and the others on a usb stuck into my car.

anime songs are on music streaming apps, but I don't think remixes are, and I don't see many covers either. I actually discovered a lot of anime music through pandora.

xiazixin and AliceShiki like this.
  10. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sometimes streaming got their pros just lost my 4TB archive hdd - along with it my mp3 collection
    over the years its now the 4th time it lost my collection thx the hdd failures

xiazixin likes this.
  11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd have to disagree, SD cards are awesome. The only SD card I've ever had fail on me was one I cheapened out and got at a low price from China. Other than that one, all my SD cards continue to work over 10 years later.

Of course to be fair, it isn't like I write a lot to them, many are just used as general storage. If one uses an SD card for things like video recording non-stop, then I can imagine just like SSDs, they don't handle much write cycles. Even worse since they don't have the management that SSDs have, and since most SD cards are smaller in size, they go through cycles more often.

The only thing that has sucked as far as SD cards are concerned, is their default use of FAT filesystem. And manufacturers either not including SD card readers or putting in real slow ones.

It's called RAID.

xiazixin likes this.
  12. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sure i have hold up on buying a new PC for 1,5-2 years now just to spend 800-1000 $ to put 16TB in a raid

xiazixin likes this.
  13. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I live and die with spotify. It's the main way I consume music at all. I use its matrices to keep up to date with artists I follow and it's Discover algorithm is pretty decent so I find new songs and artists occasionally.
    I've got my main playlists and liked songs set to auto download for both my phone and pc so I don't really have much to worry about in case of suddenly going offline. My phone has a large memory so I don't really have to worry about it taking space and if needed I can always et an SD card. I do listen to some music on youtube which can't be found on Spotify, but it doesn't really have the attraction to make me download it and it to local files for Spotify

xiazixin likes this.
  14. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all about catching deals. Last year a 16tb NAS hdd went for $280.

xiazixin likes this.
  15. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    That's pretty good price. Though I rarely buys any hdd above 6TB.
    I prefers multiple hdd than a single large Hard drive. Hence there are like 6 disk in my drawer.

SD cards are good as long as you spent a premium on it. But microSD or TF cards are not.

They burns and melts no matter what brand you buys.
    MicroSD card or TF cards is just a bare nand silicone with a layer of resins or plastic coating. There is no controllers, no capacitors.
    And it's totally up to the device you insert in to and if both devices compatible with each other and meet the Torrance.

Even expensive phones, laptops, and consoles burns their MicroSD cards, not to mention cheap adapter.

There have been many case of people even burn their sandisk extreme pro with their packet in adapters. Nothing saves MicroSD cards even paying for triple the price premium.

16. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    I also prefer more drives then larger ones, only downside is more power consumption.

But even amongst microsd cards, I have not had a failure in decades of using them. Now I am not gonna say I use them heavily(for writing), but about once or twice a month, and I do read from them all the time. (Though most of my cards are sd or sdhc with only a few 64gb sdxc)

Do note that there are a TON of counterfeits as far as microsd cards go. So while you may think that you got a branded SD card, it is a fake. And some fakes are direct from the factory where they either A) failed QA, B) Are lower capacity but they looped the storage so a 64gb card can actually be only 8gb. And once you go over 8gb, your data will get corrupted.

According to an engineer from sandisk, 1/3 sandisk sd cards in the wild are counterfeits.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  17. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Though that dose not explain them melting. Though, I have not brought any SDXC due to cost, compatibility and reliability, I know SDXC used more power and tends to be hotter.

My experience with then is horrible, I think I bought a few 2GB microSD around 2008, for my card camera (used to be a thing before smartphone.) it lasted about halves a year before melting, it literally melted card with full SD adapter.

Pretty sure that's just partly them not wanting to give you your warranty.

SanDisk are premium, it even cost more than lexar, ezviz (which also make premium SD cards). Though other than their extreme pro lineups others are meh.
    But you are paying for triple the price for the normal.

Other brands, or product line don't ever buy from it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  18. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Never had one melt... even in a camera (non-video), though maybe video cameras put a higher continues load on the SD cards... I don't take much videos, even on a cellphone. Though with the new trend of thinner and sealed devices, I would imagine them being exposed to more and more heat.

Nah, they can't escape the warranty. Especially if you bought from a major retailer. And it is true that there are a ton of fake cards out there, I have seen them. It isn't uncommon for people to see SD cards sold on the cheap from a shady place and buy them, only for them to be fake.

How long we have come... SanDisk used to be the cheap brand.

19. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Fake SD card, are pretty rare, usually it's the ram (common almost all kingston are fakes) which only have a sticker, or ssd (rarer).
    SD care are rarer among those.
    Yes most of sandisk Stuff like plastic USB flash are usually cheap stuff. But extreme pro are pretty good, at least at the price. It beat premium brands like lexar now.

Well SD cards are more complicated. They are a product for minorities. And they have patents, unlike USB flash, ssd, ram.

Unlike trump, China is pretty strict about patents and IP.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  20. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd be surprised, fake sd cards are more common than fake ssds or ram. The reason is the target audience. RAM and SSDs are bought more by tech users, in comparison sd cards are often bought by the general populace who would have absolutely no clue.

They are not. It may be used less these days in phones, but it is still common enough in everyday electronics, like Nintendo Switch.

Ah, no. China is strict on patents and IP when:
    1) Your thing matches 100%, in US if you change 1 character in a name you would still lose a lawsuit. In china you won't
    2) The IP/Patent belongs to a Chinese company (especially one with political ties)

PS in US, our judicial system is independent from our executive branch. While the executive branch has things like ITC, FTC and the department of justice. Even without those, you can enforce your IP/Patent through the court system. It is MUCH easier to get your patent or IP enforced in US than in China, the only difference is since our system is so open, it also means lots of Troll lawsuits.

xiazixin likes this.