TV The Silent Sea

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by kkgoh, Dec 28, 2021.

1. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Anyone actually watched this shit? I've fast forwarded through 3 episodes and feel like dropping it.
    Feels like it's written by an amateur author with no idea how sci-fi actually works.
    How can this shit even score 7.1 on IMDB? Shouldn't it be 3 out of 10??
    Just wanted to rant since I've wasted almost 3 hours on this crap ....

SPOILERS

(1) What are half the crew on the search-and-retrieve mission at an abandoned space station even for? Besides the Captain (Gong Yoo), a scientist (Bae Doona), a medical doctor, a pilot and co-pilot (redundancy??), and an original space station member (supposedly to lead the way), the rest are clearly just there as fodder. You don't even what function they serve on the mission. They literally don't even do anything (perform some engineering function or whatever to clue you in on their role) before they immediately die.

(2) Why would you (the scientist) immediately remove your helmet after being told there's no radiation, and THEN turn on the station air purifier? Who was the retard who scripted this show?

(3) It's the time of the COVID pandemic. This series was made during the pandemic. You see dead bodies lying all around after FIVE YEARS but don't bother with air-borne pathogens? WTF.

(4) It's been FIVE YEARS since the station was abandoned! Why are bodies not rotten, dessicated, etc???!! How can you tell they drowned in just one look, after FIVE YEARS!

(5) This is a team of trained military personnel, scientists and doctors. They are NOT teenagers in a slasher flick.
    And yet the FIRST reaction when someone is mysteriously attacked and murdered .... is to walk over and act surprised, while not calling for help??
    Holy shit, isn't notifying others before going to help just basic first-aid protocol?? Again, who's the retard who wrote this script?

(6) Why is the show so goddamn slow? It's 8 episodes! Could've been done in 5 or 6.
    Every scene is dragged out seconds longer than necessary. Everyone acts pointlessly stoic and deadpan. Bae Doona (the nurse from "Kingdom") is the ultimate dead-pan actress. I had high hopes for her but her deadpan acting just made the entire show even slower, and made for zero suspense.

2. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno but I would like your comments on Memento, Kung Fu Hustle and Confessions. They are on Garnt's 3x3 in the Trash Taste Movie roasting episode.

wut is this a hijack?
    :blobpeek:
    shh
    let it be
    let it happen(rapey voice)

kkgoh likes this.
  3. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Momento (I assume the Chris Nolan one)
    Decent, very original. Not a fan of whodunnit films. requires too many brain cells.

Kung Fu Hustle
    As the first major forey of Asian comedy into Western audiences, I think it was a cultural hit for sure. It wasn't original, just a culmination of all of Stephen Chow's previous best works, you could say it was made for the West.

I've always thought of Stephen Chow as a better version of Jim Carrey, esp since there's a lot more subtlety in the script and dialogue than most people think. Jim Carrey really only has physical or straight up gags.
    I still prefer Shaolin Soccer though.

Confessions
    Overhyped and boring. It's just a distraught mother going after school kids, and to prove that underaged kids can be monsters too.
    But maybe that's a relatively recent discovery for Asian audiences .... because the West always knew kids were monsters decades ago.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Jojo775 likes this.
  4. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    1. That's the feeling I get, I don't want to struggle to understand the movie.
    2.I liked Shaolin Soccer when it came out but I wouldn't like it much now I think.
    3. I trust you more than Garnt, can't take TT guys for gospel...they sometimes make absolute sense and then say something that makes me wanna say "you're dead to me."

kkgoh likes this.
  5. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should know that drama always trumps logic in korean shows.

1. Well, one of the others is an engineer, but yes there are too many crew members for undefined roles. At the very start, their mission was was just to retrieve samples in an abandoned base. I don't even know why a scientist is needed...

2. Agreed. When I saw that the ventilation system was directly expelling air outside the base, I had to wonder exactly how they could keep air in the base instead of everything being a vacuum.

3. My first reaction when I saw the bodies: Quick, put your helmets back on!

4. I'm not a biologist, but I assume that there is a lack of microorganisms around for proper decay. Also, in direct contradiction to what was shown earlier, I'd assume that there was no atmosphere in the base and the whole thing was basically a freezer.

5. Yeah, why did she not call for help on the radio???

6. Dunno about that. I'm just skimming, not really watching per se.

kkgoh likes this.
  6. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    These are some of the stuff that stood out to me when I was watching.

• With global warming, the polar ice caps will melt and the sea level will actually rise instead of fall. Unless the ice caps have already been melted and the seas have dried up?
    • Why do you need two guys to carry the injured former base personnel? This is the moon with only 1/6 the gravity. If they were each 200 pounds with all the equipment on Earth, then carrying both yourself and the injured guy means only ~70 pounds of weight on the moon.
    • Why are they already running out of air? They only had to travel ~5 miles. You can walk that in an hour on Earth. How little air do they keep in their air tanks?
    • Why are they already showing these symptoms of oxygen deprivation? Before they actually reach 0% on those tanks, they should be getting a normal supply of air and so they should be functioning normally, right? Even if that's not so, at least one of them had 6% oxygen left in the tank when they reached those doors. He/she at least should have been functioning normally.
    • I'm surprised that the doors were still powered and working properly after being abandoned for 5 years. How well does solar energy work on the moon?

• That huge encrypted file came out to just 9 letters???
    • Artificial gravity for their lunar base? How fancy...
    • How the hell did a mercenary show up in the base without any notice? Was their shuttle launch entirely hidden from the world? Did no one notice this at all?
    • I knew they should have put their helmets back on when they saw those bodies. Now one of them has been infected!

I'm too lazy to comment on the other episodes other than these general observations:
    • Do they not need to eat?
    • Why focus on retrieving the stolen samples? There are samples all around you!

kkgoh likes this.
  7. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - Good point about the air. Spacesuits (current day standards) carry 6-8 hrs of oxygen. They shouldn't be short on air at all for just 5 miles.
    The pack has 2 systems, 100% oxygen (because that's the only way it can be pressurized) and a CO2 scrubber that removes carbon dioxide and keeps the breathable air balanced. You usually don't die from oxygen deprivation, but CO2 poisoning. The book "The Martian" had some really good science describing this.

- Solar energy is supposed to be low maintenance, but agreed moon dust (regolith) is a real problem and the panels have to be constantly brushed clean to maintain efficiency. That said there are technologies that do automated brushing.
    https://science.nasa.gov/technology...n-duster-will-help-clean-nasa-assets-in-space

- Yea not following how the gravity system works. Seems like BS. But more likely they got no budget to keep pretending to be on Moon gravity for the entire series.