is it just me or are novels literally all the exact same these days

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Meloonseed, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    like every novel has a couple copies with the exact same premise and similar plots, and theyre all very similar within the same genre.

anyways, does anyone want to recc me some action/supernatural novels that they really like and are somewhat unique? something like lotm or orv but newer, like released in the last one or two years. preferably not too much faceslapping and irredeemable villains, because i cant be bothered with that stuff. i will actually read at least one or two of the novels if anyone reccs since i have time these days

2. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s your taste

3. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just you, but the novels, books and other creative ideas always had some inspirations from past authors or stories, it's just that people give them their own spin or add something novel themselves. In general, if something is written something similar probably exists if not in the plot then in the way it was written.

4. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    it's because when people finish a good novel they want to read something similar, hence fanfics are born

Meap, Kaylee and Wujigege like this.
  5. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    It's definitely you. Widen your novel selection within the genre or move out of the genre for a while if it feels too similar. I love action, adventure, fantasy, sci-fi, isekai, mmorpg vr or none vr types.

I also like many types of slice of life like The great storyteller, life once again IRAS even with it's biases I thought it was fun including face smacking.

You have to explore other genre. I specially like business related novels or one where the main character is a kick ass lawyer too bad I haven't seen any CN novel with lawyers in them power and wealth is nice to read if you ignore all the other aspects of it.

6. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    they're not the exact same but it's usually trends within genres of what's big at the time.

7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Check out Sense. It's a mystery-supernatural slice of life with a very interesting premise and good execution.

Meap and Meloonseed like this.
  8. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's both.
    If were talking Chinese novels only (because I haven't read that many Japanese or Korean ("I was reborn as the villainess, but I aim for XXX") novels lately), you'll find that a certain type of story becomes popular and thus gets copied... a lot.
    It may just be that two authors had similar ideas, but when five write similar stories, it becomes less likely.
    That's why once a novel becomes famous, you'll find lots of novels with similar themes pop up.
    Currently the "Everybody gets transported to another world and is granted a system with chat function, but our MC is special because he gets XXX"- wave should be nearly over (I think).

That being said, at least most novels that are translated are (thankfully) no cardboard-cutouts of each other.
    Most just take the same setting idea and give their own spin on it. Some place it in a horror world, other pick fantasy, apocalypse or even VR for example. For most novels, the differences are noticeable if you read more than just the description, but being of a too similar theme might invoke uncanny-valley effects for you, so you'll feel that they are all the same.

As mentioned before, switch up your reading preferences a bit and you should be able to pass this wave until different stories come out or you no longer notice the similarities.

mir, Orenjineko, Meloonseed and 2 others like this.
  9. Kirikaize

Kirikaize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chronicles of primordial wars

Meloonseed likes this.
  10. SuouNono

SuouNono Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    theyre the exact same cause a lot of people like to read the same kind of stuff again. It gets old easily though and it's understandable that you'd eventually want something new

kyorins and Xu Zhiqing like this.
  11. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s just you, likely a result of not searching far from what you’ve read already, like others above have stated. If you want recs, you should post a separate thread in the I’m Looking For section with a concise description of what you want.

Meloonseed and kyorins like this.
  12. Ababil

Ababil Non Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not just you, its the google ai finding out what you like and dislike, providing you with novel with the same premise based on your current reading list....

At least thats what happened with youtube reccomendation. Dunno here, maybe its just you.

mir and readerz like this.
  13. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    i love u??? holy shit ive literally never seen this before LOL. thanks for the recc

yea i was just thinking about how all the novels were the same these days and ive read every iteration within my tastes since like, 5 years ago??? literally anything non villainess, faceslapping, harem, bl, isekai slice of lifes, or ceo novels and their derivatives, ive read. felt like the stuff on novelupdates hasnt really excited me anymore for a while, not like novel's extra or second life gluttony did back when they were ongoing and i literally got on everyday to check their updates. its all just jjwxc and ao3 now... just felt sorta like getting my thoughts out. then i was thinking, maybe theres something id like, i just havent found it because u have to wade thru a lot of stuff that isnt ur taste on nu so i asked for reccs LOL

otaku31 likes this.
  14. OhCmmon

OhCmmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that's what happens when one novel gets popular and succeeds, other vermins start copying with minimal effort slap on some typical covers and ridiculous titles to appeal to the audience.
    Of course, there are ones that spin some great twists but most are carbon copy of the same mold.

Meloonseed likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is just you.. Take a month sabbatical.

You have binged too much on novels.

Novels are always the same but you never gave yourself a break to digest the novels you read.
    There is nothing new under the sun. If you think it is then it's an illusion. A spell you cast on yourself.
    The spell wears off when the novelty runs its course.

My website translates novels like Past Life Returner.
    Evade The Hero and Flee

Both on opposite sides of the genre spectrum. One might interest you.

Maybe try comics. With once a week releases you won't be able to binge.
    Happy New Year
    Cheers!

Meloonseed likes this.
  16. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just you. There are just a small handful of novel archetypes out there to begin with, like the hero's journey, and pretty much all of them have been around since stories have existed. If you look for similarities you will always find similarities as long as they're from the same base. My guess is that you've been reading too many novels of that genre, so you could just start reading novels of different genres.

It's like farming; at first soil has a favorite crop it wants planted and will let grow really easily, but if you keep planting the same kind of crop in the same soil, the soil gets bored of the crop and doesn't want to grow it anymore. If you rotate crops, maybe give the soil a rest year every now and then, the soil doesn't get bored no matter how many crops you plant. It might not like some of the crops as much as others, but it's a refreshing change of pace as part of a rotation.

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because you only find translated novels. I'm only interested in 4-5 genres, but I can always find new things to read when checking the original sites. Self-MTL skill is required if you want to feed yourself good food.

Deleted member 25261 likes this.
  19. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope see a fantasy really business related novel. Currently i'm really into family development, but it's just descriptive.

aegis062 likes this.
  20. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, i just found out a business fantasy novel, it has a few chapters and i dropped because the use of modern tech in a fantasy world, which I don't like, but the author said: "PS may be a bit slower, 4k a day, because in order to ensure that there will be no fallacies in the book, the author specially studied management, economics and business management professional courses, but there are still a few courses left." Btw, it's a novel about running a adventure guild in a fantasy world and it's name is 从零开始经营冒险者公会.