Discussion Is marriage a plan you have or had?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Lovise

Lovise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    meh, I had planned to married as it was a boon financially. (Tax break, deductions, leveraging, etc) Example, If you file for single, you get like 12,550 break. But if you are married, it is double. Seems like a wise idea to combine finances. Certain couple expenses are deductible too. Overall seems to be very favorable to get married. (Don't get a kid until you are ready...)

However now nah. Risks totally outweigh the rewards. Also your marriage partner's spending habits can screw you over.

^ part of the reasons. As a man, divorces is like getting kicked in the "nuts". I rather not deal with the headaches.

Return, Cream and One Perfect Veteran like this.
  2. cutiebinkie

cutiebinkie Nuju

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally don't want to get married. I'm still a teenager and I get the usual ‘You’re still young and you don't know what you want’ from adults.

I know what I want. The idea of being in this lifelong commitment with someone just doesn't sit right with me. Getting pregnant? Sacrificing my body, mental health and finances to have kids? I'm not really sure I can do that.

I don't think I'll change my mind but in the future, if I do find someone who makes me desire marriage and want to have kids with them, then that's okay. It just isn't something I actively want.

imK and One Perfect Veteran like this.
  3. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    I've thought of marriage and wondered how the future would be in my favour, but never 'seriously' thought of it at the moment. I am not one of those people who plan out my life or put specific milestones on paper; just kind of live my life through the moment. I'll have whatever happen, happen. But since I come from a rather religious family they'd probably be on my back about finding someone to marry. Ugh.

I think I'll get some sort of partner someday, I can see that happening...but I'm definitely too young and not ready in all ways possible to get married yet. :blobsweat_2: (Or elope, who knows). Not sure about kids in the future either. I've never been good with kids, and they've never seemed to like me anyway.

I'll stick to fun dates and hand-holding for now. :blobangel:

Cream and One Perfect Veteran like this.
  4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    In India, you can often find your life to be meaningless in your middle ages unless you have kids to feed and the responsibility then stops you from killing yourself.

So, marriage is just another way to sire offsprings imo, and one which gives particular meaning to your life.

Return and One Perfect Veteran like this.
  5. javaniy

javaniy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the past, I always want my relationship to last until marriage, but after 2 not so smooth breakups, I don't have the confidence to start a new relationship and plan for my marriage. Now I'm just waiting for my parent to get feds up and arrange a blind date for me and see where that goes :sweating_profusely:

Return, Cream and One Perfect Veteran like this.
  6. wuxianstoes

wuxianstoes Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love the idea of getting married, of forming a family with someone, but I don't think I'd be committed and responsible enough for that.

Return and Deleted member 343051 like this.
  7. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    I look really childish stupid and unreliable needing protection and guidance or something, my mom really wants me to secure a marriage soon, or a prospective one since I'm still too young for it, so I'd have a husband to keep me safe, as in my father's words: 'cause my parents can't do that forever

Return and One Perfect Veteran like this.
  8. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    As an Asian my parents do expect me to get married and while I could say I have no plans, I do want to get married if I meet someone decent. I don't really have high standards but I do have standards, it's just that apparently people don't really consider marriage much as they see being in a socially romantic relationship to be enough so the road to marriage would probably be long.

9. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone: Describes my plan perfectly~

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  10. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    don't rush into relationships or marriage unless everything is on the table.

if you can't stand being next to each other, each doing their own things, always needing to go out to have fun together. it ain't gonna work
    if you can't share the finances and financial responsibility. it ain't gonna work
    if you can't compromise on not only your future, but your present as well. it ain't gonna work. talk about the future. see what you both invision and where it leads to. don't wait until you're married to find out it's not going the same way. and both of you ain't willing to compromise.

what you like in terms of personality and looks is your subjective view. you can like crazy for all i care. but even crazy has intelligence. if that crazy can't compromise. or if only one side is compromising, while the other isn't. it ain't gonna work

and if you ever think the relationship or marriage is work. something you need to put effort in. it's not gonna work
    marriage is a journey you both enjoy going through. despite how boring it may seem to others. find something both of you can do together, and don't need the outside to make your marriage feel validated.

i have examples. but don't wanna push that like a twat

Return, nyamachi and AliceShiki like this.
  11. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    I alwaya have a thought play Howl Castle BGM and do waltz with my partner on our future wedding. Still doing a lot of quests to get more golds.

12. Deleted member 343051

Deleted member 343051 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Most men and women make me feel suffocated so i probably won't marry either of them but the idea of getting old with the person you like is nice

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2022
  13. Yellowing19

Yellowing19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My family expect me to find someone during this 4 years in college. While me at the same time just wants to graduate and enjoy my life since I'm just starting the adult? life ( well i'm currently 20). It's kind of a burden for me since most of my siblings seems hopeless as they are also single rn and my mom is already at the age where she expect one of her kids to have children. If yes, I do find someone here in college then I might consider it, but I think I'm still early in wanting to get married. The idea of marriage is there but not quite yet.

14. Sawanara murasaki

Sawanara murasaki Sawa the HEro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Nuh uh! Don't wanna get married if the purpose of marriage is to inherit my gene or losing my virginity, nuh uh, nono..But I want to marry someone to strengthen our bonds and my feelings for that foreigner who came into my life..

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I absolutely do want to get married~

My problem is mostly that I always had super duper low hopes for my love life. I thought nobody would ever fall in love with me and that marriage was an impossibility, so I figured I'd just become a single mother eventually, because I 100% want kids~

But well, my relationship with my boyfriend has been going for 8 months now... It's still a bit too early to seriously consider marriage due to a variety of reasons, but I definitely do want it, and I do hope that we can keep staying strong together and eventually marry~ <3

Honestly, marrying someone and just spending our lives together just seems so dreamy, yanno? Having someone to support me on my hard times, someone that I can support on their hard times... Enjoying our happy moments together... Raising our children together... Supporting our children on the good and bad times, having someone to help raise the children, and to reassure me (or tell me that I'm wrong) when I'm worrying if I'm doing a good job as a mother or not... Yanno, those thoughts are just so wonderful~

So yeah, I definitely want it... In due time~

Cream and nyamachi like this.
  16. MathBlade

MathBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more of a if it happens it does. I don't plan on it. Lots of difficulties in dating a dude like me and I accept that but always working on self improvement. Someone doesn't have to be married to be complete.

17. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to get married someday! Companionship is nice - v - lots of huggles and headpets for this cat! :3 Asian weddings are expensive though @~@

Suijin and AliceShiki like this.
  18. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    too. damn. expensive

nyamachi likes this.
  19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw, is the ceremony the expensive part, or is the legal hassle that is expensive?

Like... My cousin spent 100,000 BRL on his wedding ceremony + party for example... Which is like... A ridiculously absurd sum of money.

OTOH, when my father married his 2nd wife (after divorcing my mom and stuff), his ceremony/party were both a lot smaller and much simpler... I think he must have spent less than 5,000 BRL on it...

So like... If it's just the ceremony and party that are expensive, you can try settling down with something simpler?
    ... I mean, sure, a wedding party is lovely, and having a ceremony is dreamy, but like... It's not the most important part of the marriage. You're gonna spend your life together with your significant other, so it's fine to not be too flashy on your special moments and instead just make sure it's something you're both happy with, isn't it?

Though well, if it's the legal part that is expensive then... Welp.

20. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly depends on the country and their traditions of getting married.

in china, the legal documents are like.. 15 rmb for chinese people (free for foreign and chinese couple, but other paperwork costs thousands)
    the wedding can also go from low, to high. mine was 30k rmb for venue, food, renting cars and that (but I do know some can spend 100k rmb just for the venue and food)

in china what's expensive is mostly the dowry of sorts. you need to get a new home ready, a car and give the bride's family an x amount of cash that they deem satisfying. (value of woman rises by looks and education)
    though that dowry can be waived if the brides parents are understanding and willing to compromise. (my wife's mom didn't ask me for a penny. she just wanted us to be happy)

now i can't say for other countries in asia why it's expensive. they all have their traditions to bear