LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. Legowaffles

Legowaffles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, coal has it's uses. I don't think Van would mind getting coal in his stockings.

2. Kaithar

Kaithar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We're talking about the guy that impaled Vida on a bunch of spikes, stole her power, and left her to rot, simply because she didn't agree with his idea of how the world should work. Seems like he's sufficiently narcissistic for our purposes. :cookie:

DragonkingKyo likes this.
  3. Startarrot

Startarrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of narcissism it was done with a misplaced thought of justice and saving the world. So yes it was a over inflated ego but it wasnt a im better than you so you should only do what i say.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  4. Kaithar

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, but I'm saying that self-centred certainty of his view alone being the definition of justice is a narcissistic trait. His conviction and confidence that he is right stems from what amounts to "I'm Alda, I govern Law, thus I'm right" ... His basis being so rooted in the inherent self correctness, rather than him being convinced he's right because he's better or smarter, is where I see the difference.

DragonkingKyo and Baldingere like this.
  5. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not narcissism, though. Yes, he's kind of deluded and way too stubborn, to put it in the nicest terms, but he's not vain, obsessed with himself or working to achieve any personal kind of goals. He's not even doing what he does for himself.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  6. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t know. While Alda thinks it’s for everyone’s sake. It’s not like the people currently have problems living with the world as it is now. Trying to revert the world to pre demon king era would destroy everything that has developed over those 100000 years.

Plus honestly it’s impossible for him to do it anyway. I don’t really understand his goal when one of the things that came with the demon king’s invasion was Ricklent making the status system. Not even Ricklent could remove that anymore so there’s one thing that can’t be reverted. Also he might be able to break Vida’s reincarnation system but he has no way to break the Demon King’s system that monsters use.

He’s living in a delusion believing and forcing his impossible goal thinking it is the best for everyone despite the sacrifices that people are constantly making to try to follow it. Which is why Vida’s religion preaching to accept and adapt to the changed world is so much better.

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  7. Prothvar781

Prothvar781 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair the core of narcissism is obsession with self beauty. Just go read the legend some day. Dude didn’t care about the personality of what he saw in the reflection. He just wanted to bone with his reflection. That’s it. That’s the whole personality trait. Years and psychobabble have expanded on what it entails. But yeah it’s core is pretty simple.

Shaman Ray likes this.
  8. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not defending him. He's self righteous, hypocritical and so on. He's just not a narcissist.

9. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that your problem is more your unconditional loyalty to bellwood, even when you already know that many of its ideals and proposals are not applicable. although well, it is assumed that it was influenced by the guide and as we saw by van, when you do it voluntarily it is not that the other forces you but that a part of you wants to do it.

10. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Overlord2019

Overlord2019 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the rare instances that they don't, they bring either wild-eyed fanaticism, repulsive self-righteousness, or both.

Bormack Gordan was a wild-eyed, foaming-at-the-mouth, kill-them-all fanatic who took great pleasure publicly torturing a woman for three solid days for the "crime" of getting pregnant and giving birth to a child.

"Mage Masher" Asagi hunted down children and wanted to kill them because they didn't want to live the way he wanted them to, even after he and his friend "The Braver" killed the guy who was rescuing them from a lab of horrors, handed them off to the very first group that came forward claiming to want to care for them, which turned out to be another lab of horrors, and said children had the gall to escape from that, and hate him for it, and Asagi still thinks he has some kind of duty to decide how everyone else lives their lives.

Heinz, is both a fanatical believer of Alda, despite seeing that Alda's teachings are at least partly wrong, and disgustingly self-righteous by openly ignoring all evidence that the kill-quests he gets from the adventurer's guild, and the information used to justify them, are extremely dubious, at best, as even he realizes the guild's claim that ghouls are a type of mutant undead is total hogwash, yet wipes them out by the village, regardless, even as he himself admits that ghouls don't leave Devil's Nests of their own volition, so there has to be more to the story, but tells himself, and everyone who will listen, that he couldn't possibly know better, just so he doesn't feel guilty about his actions. AND adds insult to injury both by thinking that preaching in the town square about how persecuting Vida's races is wrong, and in a place where he won't get arrested for it, and proclaiming that Vida's races aren't people, but wild beasts that he can justify keeping alive if they let themselves be tamed as pets, used as livestock, put into zoos. or kept far, far away from people in wilderness preserves, and the rest all have to die, regrettably, and even after his actions in Bellwood's dungeon, still wonders why the hell Van, Darcia, and Vida herself want him deader-than-dead. Even Heinz's legally adopted daughter Selen isn't exempt, as he freaking uses her as bait and is more sympathetic to the yahoos that want to kill her than to Selen herself, the child being hunted. In fact, he treats her as a pet, not a person!

We can all agree that Heinz wants to atone for his misdeeds, and believes that he is trying, but is he really?

Nimorth likes this.
  12. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No.
    First question should be: Is it possible to atone for your misdeeds or not?

Say I have killed a human. To atone for it I have decided to write "SORRY" hundred times on paper. So, did I have atone for killing a human after writing them? No? Why?
    And if I have decided to save 100 humans to atone for killing human, after I did it, did I atone for it? Why?

Who have right to decide if one atoned for it or not? Do I even need to atone for it?

Here are two main people who may accept atonement: You and your victim.
    If you feel you did something wrong, to eliminate your own regret only you yourself can decide that you need to do to atone for it. It may even be enough to say sorry one time to empty air, if it eliminates your regret.
    If you want to atone to your victim, only victim have right to decide that you need to do to atone for your misdeeds. But in this case even your life may be not enough, because it only depends on victims feelings and feelings is something not rational. If your victim is dead your can't atone to him, because he can forgive or even have resentments (unless he become resentful ghost).
    Here may be others. like family members, friends, neighbors, country. All of them will have they own understanding of atonement. In ours world you just need to stay in jail for few years where you are fed and clothed by your victims family members, friends, neighbors and country. You don't need to do anything at all and you can think about it like it is insistent payed holiday for few years in predetermined location. In Van world it is slavery and no human rights. But family members, friends or neighbors may not agree to atonement method of country.

Heinz did not break laws of country, so he don't need to atone to country. If he thinks killing Vida races who is not considered human is atonement by him and other people around him, he is atoning. But even if he atoned for himself it does not mean he atone to Van, because only Van have the right to decide about atonement for killing his mother.

If you are weak you need accept rules of atonement country have put on you and your offender even if you don't agree to country given atonement method. If you have strength you can perform your own atonement method on your offender. Event if people will not like for you rejected they will and dominance.

13. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I just watched a video about Vince Champ recently, apparently he got forgiveness for his crimes by having the victim say they would pray for him.

14. Kaithar

Reading List:
    Link
    While it is nice to see Van being conned by a play dead technique, cause it's not as interesting if he's too perfect, I find myself disappointed in the how... Only moments before they were discussing that he was using the 3 souls as a workaround for casting elemental spells, could Van really not tell he only ate one at first? Are we really supposed to believe none of them would have suggested checking they got all of the souls, particularly since he didn't get all the skills, before relaxing any? Did they forget that this is a god that has repeatedly used subterfuge and playing dead to avoid losing?

It really does feel like Team Van phoned in the end of that fight while halfway to the airport, not the usual competent fighting that wrecks attempts to surprise him. I will be grumpy if we don't get a reveal that he was intentionally holding back to mislead Alda's snoopers. :blobrofl:

15. The Godly Aeolus

The Godly Aeolus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's more likely that Vandalieu simply didn't know which of the three souls he had devoured. He doesn't have any familiarity with these Evil Gods, so he'd have no way to tell which soul is which unless he got all of them at once; the huge downgrade in his Skill Levels probably didn't help him much on that front either.

We've also gotten to the point where bothering to hide things from Team Alda is largely a pointless gesture of spite. Really, does Alda have even one minion other than Heinz who can do more to Van than simply piss him off anymore? Could Alda do anything at all to stop Vandalieu, even if he had all of the information? Van is like a subway train in a tunnel: If the lights are turned on, you'll know he's coming, but that still won't save you from getting totally splattered.

Rou likes this.
  16. Daddified

Daddified Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys, I am just starting off this novel again after not reading it for a while. There was one thing I wanted to know and that is if he had gotten revenge against his classmates and if so, what chapter?

17. spycho357

spycho357 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The idea that Van wants revenge on his classmates is largely mistaken, he was livid and spoke rashly after he died. But realistically he wants to cement his reputation in society as a good person so they won't attack him and force his hand. He has killed a few former classmates and teacher but like I said they accepted the mission to kill him and attacked first. Remember the ones who sided with him and the now missing dwarf peddler are all alive and well.

Now that Van has established that his bones can be changed and reshaped + the demon king muscles we now have a macho shota inbound, many people will cry tears of blood, Basdia will ask if Van can father her child.

grim5000 and Daddified like this.
  18. Mastine

Mastine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if in that last attack he just freed the god of mountains, or ate him too.

19. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He don't really have reason for revenge against his classmates. It was not classmates who send him to world without any power and luck, it was not his classmates who locked him and experimented on him. They only killed undead, and Van understood it after he was reincarnated and calmed himself. So, he don't hunt his classmates.
    He killed some of his classmates, but not because of revenge, but because they come to kill him. He protected himself and had a buffet of his classmates souls. He also become friends with some of them who shown they don't want to harm him. And they live with Van now. Here are some who is somewhere in the world and no one knows where. But most classmates are in first world, because they did not dead yet.

No one knows. We will know in next chapter only. He ate one evil god, one evil god assimilated? with him. We will know in next chapter. Mountains god is not mentioned in this chapter.

I think he don't know how soul assimilation works. Maybe all souls joint in to one soul. After Van eats soul he gets some boost from it, but can't spit it out any more. So, he may assumed they too can't spit souls out. And was thinking he is eating all three at once.

20. Kaithar

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but he doesn't need to know if it was Tom, Dick or Harry he ate, just that it's "one evil god soul hahaha, two evil god soul hahaha". Lack of reference could be a valid answer though.

No point in needlessly helping them though. It's better if they don't feel pressured into doing something stupid.