Question Why do authors like to ruin good story ideas with a system?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Xian Piete, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if it is just the character making the comparison it really depends on how long they keep doing it though.
    It might be somewhat believable at the start, but it should become obvious to the character pretty quickly that it is mostly useless to keep doing it.
    On the other hand if it is something the character just keep doing out of habit while also being self-aware and commenting on it being useless, then that could probably be done pretty well.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    AliceShiki likes this.
  2. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, ultimately the last point (the cheat mine or product) is was I wanted to focus on about, even if everything is established properly, if it holds no bearing in the plot, it's inconsequential because the economy isn't important in itself unless it's something like "The realist hero rebuilds the kingdom" where it's a LOT about economy, and even then the comparison to "yen" is unimportant because the economic system is not at all like Japan or other real world examples.

It's just a detail for the sake of detail, and if it's done poorly it shows immediately haha.

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I agree, it's definitely something I'd hope that the character would quickly realize to be a useless comparison that isn't worth being made...

Nimroth and HentMas like this.
  4. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    System isn't bad but different authors have different ideas about system. Sometimes they use system as a way to control their story from going astray, or use it just to fill in loopholes and discard it later, it's really depends on author's idea. Poorly written system stories usually didn't put any importance to the system and there's no explanation like 'why the system has this function' or 'would the system keep binding with host until death or can be transferred any time'. It's as if MC don't really care about the sudden appearance of a system and rather take it for granted

5. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like System if its role is like Kumo Desu (not the ACTUAL role), just an interface where one can check their status. No bonus or prize bs. A novel which 'parody' a System is the worst thing I ever read. Why does it talk? Why?

Deleted member 25261 and otaku31 like this.
  6. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but you are looking at it like the average person would think.

Unless you have traveled a lot and seen how factors like supply and demand, or the level of wealth, can cause prices local prices to vary from area to area, or even nation to nation, you first thought is going to be to try to put costs into the reference you are familiar with, which would be figuring out the equivalent value of the local money to your homes currency. Which is what the yen comparison is.

Though what I want to see it someone try to make the real world currency comparison, then find out that they got the "exchange rate" massively wrong due to comparing items that have much different values in our world and the one they are in.

Fluffums likes this.
  7. Gunvar

Gunvar New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see your point, but I like a powerful mc to fulfill power fantasies
    I enjoyed the system in solo leveling, but I suppose for every good system novel there are bound to be many bad or poorly executed ones

8. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Through reading some authors's note chapter, i can suppose the reason to be chinese readers, they love it. Proof? The novel need to be licensed and after that, they'll send a editor to help him and ensure money milking; readers who like system will pay more; readers will bully the author to do what they want; most good novels to my taste are from part-time authors and this lead to a conclusion: full-time good authors are forced to add system. In addition, i have a theory, authors are spamming system novels to saturate it, while making money, to free themself

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  9. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That certainly possible. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the editor also think the same, too. I mean, it's kind of obvious how... out there... these System novels are. That's how it is to me, at least.

10. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    May I quote this?

edit: thank you

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Xian Piete likes this.
  11. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It mostly feels like a convenient tool for bad authors tbh, no need to bother looking for a reason for MC to get stronger, no need to bother thinking of a solution for MC to get out of a dangerous situation, no need to smartly write some lore just have MC know everything just by looking, and so on...
    What i hate the most as far as unnecessary trope goes is "the game/novel world", why? I'm reading "Sword of the pilgrim" right now and i think that the universe is really interessing, but it's a game world where a developper transmigrate there after dying, what's the point of this plot point? It just cheapen awfully the world and its inhabitant, just don't!
    Or another example with "The demon prince goes to the academy", the MC died but wasn't "good" enough in this life, therefore he must atone to his sins to get to heaven (It's in the first chapters, no big spoilers there), to do that, he is sent into the world of a novel he wrote... The whole point of this world and it's inhabitant is to "punish" the MC to atone for his sins, just how much of a sad excuse it is for a world and people to exist? Once again, the universe, character and plot is good but everything seems silly just because of this stupid trope.