Discussion Historical Genres

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sproutling, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you define "Historical" as genre?

I saw lots of manga tagged with Historical and it turns out it didn't have anything to dor with real, history. it's just made up fictional kingdom with ancient china costume thingy.

Sometimes it frustrate me when I want to search for "Real" historical manga the things came out wasnt what I expected.

2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    golden kamuy
    otoyomegatari
    sengoku strays
    reiri
    tenju no kuni
    The Great Merchant Kim Manduk
    vinland saga

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Historical means the story happens in the past. But unless it's a really researched work, the historical background is going to be simple or won't follow reality if complex. And there's historical fantasy too, past setting, but with magical stuff happening.

5. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many Chinese novels are marked as "Historical" which I'm not sure is really accurate. The novel setting of the current world is completely fictional, but there are actual historical elements as a distant background.

The stories are set in fictional countries/dynasties surrounded by other fictional countries/dynasties. However, in most of these stories Confucius must have existed for so many Confucian ideals. Also, many of them have references to actual historical figures or dynasties (of the distant past from the viewpoint of the novel's characters).

Typically, you can think of the stories as being set some time in 15th century China where the past few centuries are fictitious. I don't know if I would call such stories "historical fiction" or an "alternate timeline."

The thing is, what caused the historical divergence is not focused on in these stories. You only get the sense that something happened differently in the distant past which led to the current situation.