LCD Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by TUSF, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read 12 volumes of LN, is it safe to switch to WN version and if yes, where should I start?

2. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From the start i think. The WN is so different from the light novel in structure that i think it would be better to start from the beginning. It would be super confusing if you start where the LN left off. Like if you watch the anime, the time skips are in the WN and not the LN. That is why so many only LN readers were confuse vs the WN readers.

Leo William likes this.
  3. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Tristan1412

Tristan1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you very much for continuing the translation of this series. After so, so long, I’ll finally see the end of this novel. This novel is one of the first few novels that I really liked and got me addicted to reading web novels and it’s been 6-7 years since. I await the day that I can finally close the tab that I’ve left on for years just in case I missed an update.
    Yes, I’m incredibly emotional rn.

5. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Kumo's one of the first WNs I read. I devoured the translated chapters in a few intensive days and then felt sad when I got to the end and there was a note saying that the translation was stopping.

I then figured: well, I've translated manga. Maybe I can translate a WN? I then spent about 2 weeks seeing if I could handle it... and the rest was history.

I really like the world-building in Kumo - one of the richest and most well thought out I've seen in any medium in any language. The characters are great too, for the most part. One of the most fun and unique MCs ever.

6. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
  7. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Poor dragon gets hyped up for like a dozen chapters and all he does is nick Shiro's face.

Leo William likes this.
  9. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So now she has an unhealable bleeding cut above the eye while her other eye is squished. Sounds like she's going to get blood in it at a bad moment. Though now that I think about it, I wonder if the author forgot she has a spider head below her torso? Or she used to anyway.

Leo William likes this.
  11. coyoteelabs

coyoteelabs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like you forgot that after she became a god she no longer has eyes on the spider part. The extra eyes became extra pupils in her human eyes. It's because of those extra pupils that she usually keeps her eyes closed.

12. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not quite. Isn't it that when she assumes a fully human form the eight extra eyes migrate upward into her human head eyes and give her super creepy pupils? So right now she should be in full arachne mode. Unless that changed, she should still have a spider head.

Leo William likes this.
  13. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    She doesn't have a full arachne mode anymore, after she became a god her form changed to something that looks like a knock-off arachne form. She has a spider shaped lower half, but all the features of a living creature are gone. I think it was even slightly smaller too.

14. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm. I guess it must work like that, but I dunno if that was ever actually stated.

Her old arachne form was kind of stupid anyway. They don't need a spider head. That just looks weird.

15. Kphone89

Kphone89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for the delayed response. I've been dealing with broken toes (moving around on crutches), headaches, a cold, and now Covid.

It's kind of funny that Shiro actually needed a reason to punch D.
    On the other hand, merely looking at Sariel makes Shiro want to punch her.
    It's unclear whether it's related to the sliver of D's soul, Shiro being a Dark type (like D and the vampire race that Sariel has a rejection to), everything she knows about Sariel, or a combination of one or more of these or other reasons.

I don't believe I'm overthinking it and Ariel's drastic change is the best proof. Common indoor spiders only live up to around 7 years at most and Kumoko's life as a spider monster was somewhere less than a year or two before body-in-charge was assimilated by Ariel. On the other hand, Ariel was over 500 years old so her soul should've contained a wealth of knowledge, experience, and personality. With Ariel's soul in this state, assimilating a minor soul split like Kumoko's body-in-charge should not cause much if any change. Even if a Ariel was interested in the manga knowledge, she would be expected to act based on Ariel's personality and not flip out like Kumoko did in her earlier days.
    Once the assimilation was complete, Ariel pretty much became a different person. Ariel's and Kumoko's strange outbursts aren't what would be expected of a common indoor spider or any animal who morphed into a human form but we would expect them from Wakaba Hiiro.
    As I see it, Kumoko's soul is the combination of the undeveloped classroom spider Shiro and the excessively overdeveloped sliver of D's soul. Even if we assume the memories that shouldn't belong to a highschool girl weren't transfered to Kumoko (ie: "Should I smite this bullybuzzing fly?"), the memories still include D's choices-every thought she had and every action she took-so despite how it looks, D's personality would still be transferred in an indirect form.
    Additionally, people talk about heart a lot in novels/anime and although the physical body's heart is believed to have some impact, science tells us the human brain is mostly/just a calculator. Adding to this that reincarnators can keep their memories, it tells us that the soul contains the memories and emotions. Since the sliver of D's soul was incorporated into Shiro's existence, it should also mean Kumoko's sensitivity to various things would be impacted in a similar way D would (ie: response to seeing a dead body or killing someone). Although Shiro's desire to punch Sariel in the quote above can be related to what she learned from Taboo, it's also likely tied to the soul fragment she received from D since the moment Sariel met D, she felt a massive rejection (Past Arc 24).

After classroom spider Shiro reincarnated as the spider monster Kumoko, D's Wakaba Hiiro memroies that remained would've been used to establish her personality since it's a fair assumption that an unintelligent spider lacks personality, and this is why I believe Kumoko would be something like a "shadow of D"-when you ask yourself "What will Kumoko do next?" I believe it would be no different than asking "What would D want to do next?" (not counting D's own experiences).
    Although it's possible to insist D's accumulated knowledge might make her act differently than what was included in the memories, we can interpret that she was born as a powerful goddess from her relation to Meido and as such she wouldn't be forced to accept reality like a human otherwise would. By this, I mean to say that for humans, acquired knowledge allows us to experience the world around us even if the knowledge came from a book whereas for D, it would just be information since she had the ability to alter any phenomenon to meet her whims the moment she was born.

It reads a little obscure so I tried checking the raw and "However, the eyes disappear." was really written like that. With my current knowledge of language and translations, I'd say turb0 did a fine job translating it as is.

As for the verdict:
    Shiro's default form became humanoid and her normal eyes had an additional four spider pupils per eye (that could perform fluorocsopy even when her eyes are closed). She can freely switch between her two-legged humanoid form and the generic eight-legged arachne form. Lastly, her lower head was gone from both forms.

Emergency_Need_Help likes this.
  16. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shiro is terrified of D and views her with utmost dread. Getting angry at her is pointless because there's nothing you can do about it. From what I hear LN D isn't as horrific as WN D, but the way their relationship is written was based on that fear. The LN borrowed that dynamic even though the underlying reason for it is no longer present.

As far as the comparison between D and Shiro goes, I do think what D and Shiro would do in a given situation would be very similar except for two major points. One, D has a lot more experience than Shiro and is thus really bored with most things. Two, Shiro actually has some morals. When she does something bad, most of the time it was either because she considered it strictly necessary or because she made an honest mistake. Honestly, I just consider D to be Shiro's evil, abusive mother. There are similarities in their personalities but apparently OG classroom spider must have been super cuddly because despite D's bad influence Shiro is still more or less a good person, or at least tries to be.

17. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Final Battle ⑳ translation:
    https://rtd.moe/kumo-desu-ga/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka-final-battle-20/

It's been one of those weeks when one thing after another happens. Next chapter should be up in a day or two. But it's also the last of the raw chapters currently. No new raw chapters in nearly two weeks. No idea when it'll resume again either.

18. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Nighthawlc

Nighthawlc Nyan nyan nyan nyan

Reading List:
    Link
    The next two raw chapters are out and the epilogue comes out at midnight JST.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  20. strucker543

strucker543 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That was the most pathetic ending ive ever seen is that really the end!?